Donovan Darius, Brunell, etc...straight from Jax...

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
aka Sarcastic Hog

Donovan Darius, Brunell, etc...straight from Jax...

Postby skinz74 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:54 pm

Darius might get 'franchise' tag again
Jaguars notebook
By BART HUBBUCH
The Times-Union

Although the Jaguars continue to discuss a long-term contract with Donovin Darius, the team is moving closer to using the "franchise player" tag on the veteran strong safety for a second consecutive year.
Jaguars senior vice president Paul Vance has exchanged several recent contract proposals with Tom Condon, Darius' agent, and said the talks "are on a good track." But Vance did not say the two sides are close to an agreement.

According to NFL rules, the Jaguars must decide by Feb. 24 whether to apply the franchise tag to Darius.

"Our focus now is on getting a deal done," Vance said. "It's not at that point [using the franchise tag] just yet."

Redskins offer Brunell 4 years

Mark Brunell's status was unchanged Thursday, although the Washington Redskins slightly altered their lucrative contract offer to the veteran quarterback.

While maintaining their $20 million proposal (including an $8 million signing bonus), the Redskins now want to stretch that over four years instead of three, according to a league source who did not want to be named because of NFL tampering rules.

Washington is offering its third-round draft pick (73rd overall) to the Jaguars for Brunell, who continues to indicate he will waive the $2 million roster bonus due from Jacksonville on March 1in hopes of facilitating a trade.

League rules prevent any trades until the NFL's calendar year begins March 3.

Jags want Bryant back

Despite cornerback Fernando Bryant's comments in December that he didn't think the Jaguars wanted to re-sign him, Vance said the team is trying to do exactly that.

Bryant, a former No.1 pick who started every game last season, has received a contract offer from the team and is wanted back, Vance said.

Several veterans targeted

Vance said the Jaguars would like to re-sign most of the veterans who are eligible to become unrestricted free agents next month.

As well as Darius and Bryant, the Jaguars are negotiating to bring back linebacker Danny Clark, defensive end Paul Spicer, long snapper Joe Zelenka and offensive linemen Jamar Nesbit, Sammy Williams and Leander Jordan.
<~~~~~Runs with scissors X
(_E=mc2_)

“This is where I'm most comfortable, ... This is my life, where I work. I'm definitely glad to be back.” #21

Return to Around the League