What would make you happier?

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.

What would make you happier?

If the Cowgirls missed the playoffs by 1 game...again?
94%
Or the Cowgirls get to the Super Bowl and then get Humilliated really really badly?
6%

Total votes : 62
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Primetime42 wrote:Go read. I've responded to every rational argument made to me.

Except this one:

JSPB22 wrote:
Primetime42 wrote:Just pointing out that it falls into the same category, which is called "Mortgaging the future".

No need to get uppity.

No there certainly isn't. Especially if you know any history. Say how George Allen and Bobby Beathard "mortgaged the future" all of those years when we went to 5 SBs and 6 Championship games. If you choose wisely, a veteran is often a better deal than a draft pick. BTW the 3 SBs for the 'Pies were the result of the Herschel Walker trade to Minnesota, Mr. selective memory.

PS How's Martin Grammatica treating ya? :lol: What was the damage for Vanderchoke? 2.5 mil or so? That's a hefty mortgage payment for a guy that made 5 of 18 FGs for the 'Pies.
ROTFALMAO
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby forskins » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:05 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
forskins, if you can tell me the name of a single player that the Skins wanted to sign but couldn't due to the salary cap, then I'll respond to your point about this being a salary cap era.

Or, if you can tell me when the Skins will actually hit salary cap hell--since we're, you know, "mortgaging our future" and all. . .year after year after year without end. . . :lol:--then we can keep talking. Until then, it looks to me like you're just giving us regurgitated ESPN talking points.

How can tossing draft picks into the trash can for underachieving veterans even be considered building blocks for your future? So what big name player have they brought in that has been worth what the price they payed? Trading the best Corner in football for Portis won't cut it by the way.

Thanks to Jerry Jones wiggling the extra room in the salary cap this year, the "Salary Cap Hell" you speak of is offset this year. Was Brunnel really the best guy on the market that year?? David Patten?? Randle El?? Lloyd? Archuleta? Andre Carter?

It seems that there are some mighty fine DRAFT PICKS that are outperforming all of those guys.

####

Postby JPM36 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:26 pm

Primetime42 wrote:And I told you outright that you're full of it because that simply isn't the case.

There are actually people here I have rational conversation with, you know.

When did I say you were wrong about anything? I just said I don't care about what you think. What are you talking about dude? Why don't you leave us all alone and go talk to the half dozen people at CowboysGuide.

I'm perfectly capable of having a rational conversation with anyone but you don't deserve my time. A Cowboys fan from NY/NJ?? What a scumbag sellout. Probably roots for the Yankees too.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:02 pm

forskins wrote:How can tossing draft picks into the trash can for underachieving veterans even be considered building blocks for your future? So what big name player have they brought in that has been worth what the price they payed? Trading the best Corner in football for Portis won't cut it by the way.

Thanks to Jerry Jones wiggling the extra room in the salary cap this year, the "Salary Cap Hell" you speak of is offset this year. Was Brunnel really the best guy on the market that year?? David Patten?? Randle El?? Lloyd? Archuleta? Andre Carter?

It seems that there are some mighty fine DRAFT PICKS that are outperforming all of those guys.

First, contracts never really come back to hurt the Redskins. If you answer my original questions in the above posts, then we'll talk about 'overpaid' or 'salary cap hell' that we're destined for. By saying that Salary Cap Hell for the Skins has merely been "offset this year," you join a rich and long tradition of football "analysts" who have been predicting or downfall for years. (And years).

Just a random sampling:

Santana Moss.

Marcus Washington has been a beast for us. FA pickup.

Phillip Daniels has played very well. So has Griffin. (I believe both were FA pickups).

Randy Thomas and Casey Rabach have been very good additions. Whatever the doubt from this year, they may still prove themselves. . .and they showed how good they were last year when the Skins were on a roll. (See: 35-7).

Say what you want about the Champ / Portis trade but the Redskins got at least as good of a deal as the Broncos. They used the draft pick on Tatum Bell, who hasn't been near the replacement for Portis that a Denver fan might hope for. Meanwhile, the Skins picked up Shawn Springs cheap, who has had a good career here. I won't make the bold claim that we definitely did better than the Broncos, but I don't see how we did worse. Besides, I'd rather have a franchise guy at RB than at CB. My 2 cents

The 49ers picked up a WR named Brandon Williams with the pick they acquired from us in the trade for Lloyd. Lloyd has been overshadowed by the Skins poor performance overall this year, but he's shown moments of what he has the potential to be once we smooth things out. Williams has seen 8 games with primarily kick and punt return duty.

I would type more but I know that neither of us are looking at this in an open-minded fashion. I've given my monologue; I'm sure that you'll reciprocate. However, I will say that it's telling to me that you don't answer my objections to the whole "salary cap hell" bit, and that you don't often give an account for what you are saying but rather only try to lob darts back in the other direction.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:04 pm

JPM36 wrote:
Primetime42 wrote:And I told you outright that you're full of it because that simply isn't the case.

When did I say you were wrong about anything? I just said I don't care about what you think. What are you talking about dude? Why don't you leave us all alone and go talk to the half dozen people at CowboysGuide.

I'm perfectly capable of having a rational conversation with anyone but you don't deserve my time. A Cowboys fan from NY/NJ?? What a scumbag sellout. Probably roots for the Yankees too.

Don't forget Duke! And the L.A. Lakers. :lol:

Just kidding, PrimeTime. . .I won't assume the absolute worst about you. . .
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Primetime42 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:15 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
JPM36 wrote:

Don't forget Duke! And the L.A. Lakers. :lol:

Just kidding, PrimeTime. . .I won't assume the absolute worst about you. . .
At least there's that. :)

You want me to respond to the George Allen era, JSPB?

Fine, give me examples. I wasn't alive back then, you see, so I don't really know of players and draft picks being exchanged.

And I'm also pretty sure free agency was nothing like it is now, so that comparison is moot.

But please, enlighten me.

JPM, you're labeling again. Thanks for proving my point for me.
"He's a playmaker, that's his label. They used to have strong safeties, but now they got another position: They're called playmakers." -Terence Newman on Roy Williams

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:47 am

In looking at the schedule and trying to hognosticate the NFC East I have to say that it really looks like the pukes will win the NFC East although I think they lose this week in NY - I cannot stand the Giants.

Anyway - I really have no worries about the pukes as they are not going to win the SB this year let alone the NFC - no problem. They also know that we won the last game and that will not change.

They also will lose that fat coach this year and that is a plus for the NFL. :up:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby Primetime42 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 pm

But stranger things have happened.

Truly, in my heart of hearts, I beleive they're in prime position to make a run.

Beating the Giants Sunday would be the next step.

The playoffs are all about who's hot coming in. After this Giants game, every single one is extremely winnable.

If they enter the playoffs on this hot streak, I don't think there's a team in the NFC that can stop them.

That includes Chicago, who can't score. If they get into a defensive battle, I like Dallas' chances, even at Soldier Field.

If they get into a shootout, then I REALLY like Dallas' chances. (BTW, anyone notice how nobody talks about how crappy the Cowboys' oline is anymore?)

But that's getting ahead of myself. Gotta get a high seed to meet them in the NFC Championship. And to do that, you gotta make the playoffs and try for a first round bye. Surefire way to do that is to win the division and lose no more than 5 games. And the surefire way to win the division is to win Sunday at the Meadowlands.

You see where I'm going with this. By no means is anything won yet.

As for the AFC, we'll see. As they say "That's why they play the games". I would feel confident with them against anyone right now. They did beat Indy, and if they had to play the Colts again, it would be on neutral turf in Florida. And I'm pretty sure Peyton still sucks in Florida. Gotta admit though, that Pats/Cowboys would be like an orgy for the media. :lol:
"He's a playmaker, that's his label. They used to have strong safeties, but now they got another position: They're called playmakers." -Terence Newman on Roy Williams

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:31 pm

I still maintain that the Cowboys are eventually going to suffer a loss because of Romo, I recognize there is a chance this doesn't happen but, historically, first-year starters have bad games somewhere along the line. The question for Dallas becomes, when does Romo have that game and how does he respond to it?
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby Primetime42 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:46 pm

Fios wrote:I still maintain that the Cowboys are eventually going to suffer a loss because of Romo, I recognize there is a chance this doesn't happen but, historically, first-year starters have bad games somewhere along the line. The question for Dallas becomes, when does Romo have that game and how does he respond to it?
And I think we are waiting for the other shoe to drop because we never expected him to be this good, but the guy has done an awesome job.

I'm hoping he plays the string out. He can have his bad game in the early weeks of next year and just start over.

Eventually, someone's gonne figure him out, but I don't think the Giants will, in spite of what happened when they benched Bledsoe. Different time, different circumstances.

I especially like that he doesn't latch on to one guy, if any at all it would be Witten. Makes it very easy for him to spread the ball. Bledsoe forced the ball to Glenn and TO sometimes to a fault.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:17 pm

Primetime42 wrote:
Fios wrote:I still maintain that the Cowboys are eventually going to suffer a loss because of Romo, I recognize there is a chance this doesn't happen but, historically, first-year starters have bad games somewhere along the line. The question for Dallas becomes, when does Romo have that game and how does he respond to it?
And I think we are waiting for the other shoe to drop because we never expected him to be this good, but the guy has done an awesome job.

I'm hoping he plays the string out. He can have his bad game in the early weeks of next year and just start over.

Eventually, someone's gonne figure him out, but I don't think the Giants will, in spite of what happened when they benched Bledsoe. Different time, different circumstances.

I especially like that he doesn't latch on to one guy, if any at all it would be Witten. Makes it very easy for him to spread the ball. Bledsoe forced the ball to Glenn and TO sometimes to a fault.
To be clear, it would be impossible NOT to be impressed by what he's done this far, in saying that he will eventually cost the Cowboys a game, I am playing the odds.
I also do not think the Giants will be the team to do that.
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby Skins2daGrave » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:28 pm

pains me to say this but we should cheer for Dallas because then if NY loses we'll only be a game back and in the playoff hunt. our best chance for the playoffs is if Dallas wins the division, or gets a tie in the rest of the games which is highly unlikely
16 Ounce Bottle Of Coke: $2
3 Bags Of Chips: $8
40" Plasma Screen TV: $2000
Watching the Cowgirls get beaten in Dallas with 2 4th Quarter TD passes to Santana Moss: Priceless

####

Postby JPM36 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:41 pm

Giants will beat Dallas on Sunday.

It's in the Meadowlands and they DESPERATELY need the game. After the Cowboys game, the Giants have trips to Carolina the following week and they eventually have to come here for a night game. Dallas, on the other hand, has a much easier schedule the last 4 weeks of the year. I believe they play 3 home games over their last 4, including Philly (a terrible team without McNabb) and the Lions.

I think the Giants will win on Sunday but Dallas will still manage to win the division despite being swept by NYG. The Cowboys are a solid team but they are basically winning this thing by default. Every other team in the division (especially NYG) has been ravaged by injuries, while they have stayed almost miraculously injury free, other than Greg Ellis. Everything seems to be breaking their way this year and I don't see them choking away the playoffs the way they did last year.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:57 pm

The Giants have too many injuries on defense and a quarterback whose play has declined steadily for the past few weeks who is without one of his favorite targets, I just can't see them scoring enough on Dallas to win that game. All that being said, I'd like to see a tie.
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby forskins » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:53 am

=D>

I never thought I'd hear a bit of credit given to the Cowboys especially from this particular thread.

I gotta give it to you guys, you are much more open-minded then allot of fans, especially Iggles fans.

Return to Around the League