Another Free agent DT?

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
Hog

Another Free agent DT?

Postby redskincity » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:37 pm

Espn:

Thursday, February 12, 2004

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

For the second time this week, an Oakland Raider has opted to void the remainder of his contract and become eligible for unrestricted free agency.

ESPN.com has learned that Rod Coleman, a five-year veteran defensive tackle who will generate considerable attention in free agency, has negated the final two seasons of his deal. Earlier this week, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported that tailback Charlie Garner opted out of the 2004 segment of his contract to be able to enter the unrestricted pool once free agency officially begins on March 3.

Garner must pay the Raiders $400,000 to opt out of the final year of his deal. There is no such payment required by Coleman, however, since he easily achieved predetermined playing time levels specified in his contract, benchmarks that permit him to expunge it.

Under the original contract that Coleman signed as a fifth-round draft choice of the Raiders in 1999, he was to have been under contract through 2005. To void those years, however, he needed only to participate in 15 percent of Oakland's defensive snaps as a rookie or in 30 percent of the plays in any subsequent season.

Coleman, 27, and agent Pat Dye are preparing the appropriate paperwork to void the deal.

A former East Carolina star, Coleman figures to be a coveted player once the free-agent signing period begins. The defensive tackle position is traditionally one of the toughest for all teams to fill and Coleman has a rare quality -- the proven ability to rush the passer from the interior -- that will earn him attention.

Despite starting only two games in 2002, Coleman led all NFL defensive tackles with 11 sacks. He fell off to 5½ in 2003, in part because he played hurt for much of the year, and because the injuries to other Raiders defensive linemen. But over the last four years, Coleman has averaged seven sacks per season and, even with a dropoff in sacks in 2003, he still posted a career-best 52 tackles.
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:25 pm

This is the Coleman that I was talking about next to Ted Washington in another thread - stick Kearse on one side and Wynn or Upshaw on the other depending on the down and yardage and it would be a ferocious line to go against.
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:52 pm

SFR, not to mention blache will be telling them what to do, not george edwards.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:01 am

A-freaking-men...

I loved the article on Williams and his style of defense... made me want to get into shape and try to walk on to the team :)

Can you imagine the hybrid of George Allen and Buddy Ryan's defenses? Whew.

I remember the defense when we played them this year - one of the few times we were shellacked. That was the Williams style defense - we couldn't move all day if I remember right...
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:13 am

we couldn't move all day if I remember right...
true blue. i see it took you over a month after the season ended to alter your sig.... :lol: i for one wouldn't mind giving up a big play every now and then for a blitz with eight guys attacking the qb. whats the point of a prevent anyways? you don't give up 30 yds at once? why, so you can give it up in 6 yd increments? a good tackle like coleman would have helped but it wouldn't have been enough. the scheme was just terrible. in williams article he used words like... attack the line of scrimage. :up: :celebrate:
the only thing edwards came close to attacking, was my heart. i wasn't sure i'd make it through the season without having a triple bypass surgery done. :lol:
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:32 am

didn't you get tired of seeing LA, Trotter and Armstead sitting 6 yards off the ball and not attacking?

I didn't mean that Coleman would have altered it last year - I mean this year - snag Coleman, Washington and Kearse - line up Upshaw next to Coleman and Washington and I bet he gets in the backfield a lot more often.

I want to see some monster tackles and at least one good pass rusher under Williams' scheme. Maybe they get two good DT like Coleman and (I think it was) Young from the Rams that JH was touting in another thread. I bet if they do that and don't get Kearse you see them go after a huge pass rusher in the draft, or maybe two if we get a second first rounder for Chump...
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Around the League