Wuerffel Retires

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
swine

Wuerffel Retires

Postby PigSkin » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:00 pm

HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. (AP) -- Former Heisman Trophy winner Danny Wuerffel says he is finished with the NFL.

Wuerffel, who spent six seasons as a backup quarterback with New Orleans, Green Bay and Washington.

He was cut last year by the Redskins during training camp, then coached by his former coach at Florida, Steve Spurrier. He turned down an offer to return at midseason

The 1996 Heisman winner said at a news conference Wednesday that he is taking a job as associate athletic director of Desire Street Ministries, which works with inner city youth in New Orleans, where he once played for the Saints. .

In six seasons, Wuerffel completed 184 of 350 passes, with 12 touchdowns and 22 interceptions. He also spent one season in NFL Europe.

``It's difficult to say goodbye to a dream,'' Wuerffel said. ``At the same time, I'm thankful that I'm not leaving because I have to.''

Wuerffel said he also will pursue opportunities in broadcasting, public speaking and motivational speaking and is discussing a book deal.

``Being in and out, I feel like I've been faced with this reality for years now,'' Wuerffel said. ``Even as I was still in football I started working at the ministry and being a part of other things, and I can't imagine wanting to go back and play.''

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:14 pm

Is it really retiring if you don't have a job?
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:09 pm

JansenFan wrote:Is it really retiring if you don't have a job?

Ouch! :?
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Return to Around the League