Hognostication Playoffs 2014 - Divisional Round

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
08 Champ

Re: Hognostication Playoffs 2014 - Divisional Round

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Countertrey wrote:SJ, several years ago I won the tourney as the away on all 3 weekends... Yes, that year I actually had opponents in all three.
It can be done. The points are an important part of home field advantage.

I am not worrying about the point spread - I'm going to pick the games and I will include the points because it's part of the rules ...

I'm suggesting selecting 2 teams and if you like the same teams to win, I'll change 1 of mine 8)
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Countertrey wrote:SJ, several years ago I won the tourney as the away on all 3 weekends... Yes, that year I actually had opponents in all three.
It can be done. The points are an important part of home field advantage.
not sure why the points are that important ... they should just be a tie breaker

using 'points' becomes just an over/under choice - why not let the visitor pick 2 teams and if he does not want to change a pick, then use the points

I would be willing to pick 2 teams by Thursday ... if you like both those teams, I'll change 1 :twisted:

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:14 pm

SkinsJock wrote:not sure why the points are that important ... they should just be a tie breaker

That's all they are. Making picks, and then having to change them would make much more unnecessary confusion and uncertainty about the deadlines and home field advantage. There is no HFA in the Hognosti-Bowl; both contestants pick blindly.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 pm

For example, if gushogs had said 150 points this past week, I would not have picked the Pats. I would have taken the Colts too and just gone with 151. I think just going with 151 in that case would have been the better bet. But he went with 187 (which was within 2 of my 189) so I decided to go with the Pats because I thought that became the better bet.

8)
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:41 pm

:shock: from this post by DM, I understand completely - we don't need to pick the teams we just need to pick the points :lol:

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 pm

DarthMonk wrote:For example, if gushogs had said 150 points this past week, I would not have picked the Pats. I would have taken the Colts too and just gone with 151. I think just going with 151 in that case would have been the better bet. But he went with 187 (which was within 2 of my 189) so I decided to go with the Pats because I thought that became the better bet.
I really don't understand this - what does the fact that he picked 187 have to do with the possibility of him picking 150 - are you saying that if he'd picked a different total points you would have changed which team you thought would win :shock:

the difference between you and I is that I pick the teams I think will win and I do not care about the points ... you seem to be only concerned about winning the contest

as I indicated - if Countertrey wants to have the same teams I pick - I'm offering to change one of my picks ... then it comes down to who picked the right teams

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:not sure why the points are that important ... they should just be a tie breaker

That's all they are. Making picks, and then having to change them would make much more unnecessary confusion and uncertainty about the deadlines and home field advantage. There is no HFA in the Hognosti-Bowl; both contestants pick blindly.
what does the Hognosti-Bowl have to do with this weekend

I can make my picks and give Countertrey plenty of time to decide - if he wants the same teams I'll change one of my picks :lol:

don't try and cover it up - that's a BS excuse

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote::shock: from this post by DM, I understand completely - we don't need to pick the teams we just need to pick the points :lol:

First are the teams. Then the points.

As home team, I have to option of picking different teams... OR matching you and taking the over/under. Once I pick... they are locked. That's how it's always been in the tournament. Your job is to make my choice as difficult as possible.

I'm not too smart, so how hard can that be? 8-[
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:37 am

SkinsJock wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

what does the Hognosti-Bowl have to do with this weekend

I can make my picks and give Countertrey plenty of time to decide - if he wants the same teams I'll change one of my picks :lol:

don't try and cover it up - that's a BS excuse

:hmm:
I'm the one who should be calling BS on you. You are trying to get around the visitors' deadline. The visitor makes his picks based on the games, and the home team can do the same or he can try and win the game by using your picks against you. It's a little thing called strategy. Like CT said, the visitor, by way of his picks, is making the home team's job as hard as possible. Actually, this gives the visitors one slight advantage; if they make the perfect pick, then the home team can not win. I gave you the Hognosti-Bowl as an example, because the rules for that game are closer to what you are envisioning.

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:18 am

SkinsJock wrote:the difference between you and I is that I pick the teams I think will win and I do not care about the points ... you seem to be only concerned about winning the contest

Which is exactly what he's supposed to be concerned with. Here's an analogy for you: The Redskins are playing in the Super-Bowl. After an epic defensive struggle, we are down 2-0 with the ball at the one inch line, and one second left on the clock. Would you kick the gimme FG, or try and score the TD to be the purist and let RGIII or Alf get the winning score rather than the kicker?

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:09 am

OK, enough of this other claptrap. Congratulations to this week's winners. Once again, the visitors ran roughshod over the home teams, with the exception of DarthMonk who was the only favorite to hold serve. Darth bounced newcomer gushogs from the tournament with a wicked ground game that sealed the deal by halftime. Countertrey had the easiest week once again, as the home team refused to take the field, crushing their fans' dreams, because they did not like the fact that two hated rivals had qualified for the playoffs. On an interesting side note, SkinsJock beat one of those hated rivals, because every one of the home team's players came down with the H1N1 flu and missed the game. The Deadskins-ACW match-up was looking to be a blowout at halftime, but ACW's defense kept them in it, and they battled back in the second half. Deadskins eked out the victory late in the 4th quarter with the help of a successful onside kick, and ended ACW's dreams of garnering his second Bugel trophy in as many years.

Moving on, we have:

1. DarthMonk
2. Countertrey
3. SkinsJock
4. Deadskins

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:33 am

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:the difference between you and I is that I pick the teams I think will win and I do not care about the points ... you seem to be only concerned about winning the contest

Which is exactly what he's supposed to be concerned with. Here's an analogy for you: The Redskins are playing in the Super-Bowl. After an epic defensive struggle, we are down 2-0 with the ball at the one inch line, and one second left on the clock. Would you kick the gimme FG, or try and score the TD to be the purist and let RGIII or Alf get the winning score rather than the kicker?

THANK YOU - that's all I was pointing out =D>

btw - I do know what I'd do in that case but it has nothing to do with the point I was making ... that is a really stupid analogy :lol:

I was trying to get Countertrey into a 'picking' contest rather than a over/under deal ... why not - I've picked every game correctly so far in the 'playoffs

as I said - I will pick the teams and the points because that is the way it is set up

I just wanted to point out it could be done a different way and that some here are only interested in winning the 'contest' and not in just picking the teams

thanks for making my point - I am done here ... :D

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:01 am

SkinsJock wrote:I was trying to get Countertrey into a 'picking' contest rather than a over/under deal

OK, but you also offered to change one of your picks if he wanted the same teams. How is that staying true to your picks? Face it, you can't have it both ways.

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I was trying to get Countertrey into a 'picking' contest rather than a over/under deal

OK, but you also offered to change one of your picks if he wanted the same teams. How is that staying true to your picks? Face it, you can't have it both ways.

Prince Machiavelli lives, and he has an ozzie accent! Who knew? :-$
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:37 am

ACW wrote:Congrats for real. Do me a favor though: Please let me know who I'd be facing this upcoming week and whether I'd be the home team. I wanna keep playing just for fun.

As SJ said, you would be up against CT, with him being the visitor. Feel free to post your picks in the Championship Round thread. This goes for anyone else who wants to pick against the big boys, as well.

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Around the League