NFL considering proposal to abolish extra points

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
JSPB22

Re: NFL considering proposal to abolish extra points

Postby Deadskins » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:31 am

Well, I can admit when I'm wrong. I did a little research, and it turns out Chris is correct on this. The chance of a block does increase as the distance goes up (though the percentages of blocks are still really low).
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/10 ... ocked.html
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:41 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm curious to see this in action. The extra point is essentially pointless. The extra point wasn't an original part of football, so the purists can calm down in that regard as it too was an addition.

Not disputing but curious:

Wiki~

History

The try/convert is among the oldest parts of the game of gridiron football and dates to its rugby roots. In its earliest days, scoring a touchdown was not the primary objective but a means of getting a free kick at the goal (hence why the name "try," more commonly associated with rugby today, is still used in American football rule books), and thus early scoring rubrics for the game gave more points to the subsequent kick than the actual advancement of the ball into the end zone. The related term "conversion" is still used in both rugby union and rugby league to refer to extra points scored by kicking the ball through the posts after a try has been scored.

By the start of the 20th century, touchdowns had become more important and the roles of touchdown and kick were reversed. By this time the point value for the after-touchdown kick had reduced to its current one-point value while the touchdown was now worth five. (This later increased to six points in American football in 1912 and in Canadian football in 1956.)

Although a successful kick is only worth one point, missing one can decide the outcome of the game. Perhaps the most famous example to this was the 2003 game between the New Orleans Saints and Jacksonville Jaguars where, after scoring a touchdown as time expired as a result of the multiple-lateral River City Relay, Saints kicker John Carney missed the extra point, giving the Jaguars a 20-19 victory. On November 11, 1979 the New York Jets lost to the Buffalo Bills 14-12 - the difference coming from two missed extra points by place kicker Toni Linhart. Linhart never played another game in the NFL.

Seems like it goes WAAAAAAAAAAY back and has always been part of the NFL.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Yeah, the conversion attempt might be the oldest institution in football after picking up the ball and running with it. As DM's quote says, the touchdown was basically invented in order to give a team more chances at kicking them. What I've read/heard is that tries/touchdowns at first didn't give you any points; they simply gave you a chance at kicking a goal (without being harassed by defenders). Game records of very old international rugby games have scores of 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, etc. — all of the points coming from goal kicking, usually following a try.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Around the League