Robert Griffin III

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Robert Griffin III

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:49 am

this could be interesting ... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rg3s- ... takeaways/

there were many that wondered if Griffin can survive a full season but there were also a number of haters that were convinced that he is not even capable to play QB in the NFL - looks like we will have some fun with that this season ...

The more Griffin plays in coach Hue Jackson's offense, the better he's going to get, which should be encouraging news for Browns fans. On the other hand, don't look for Cody Kessler to play in a single game this season, because he doesn't seem to have any clue what's going on.
Last edited by SkinsJock on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

Hog

Re: RG3 has some ups and downs in 1st game ...

Postby TexasCowboy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am

From what I heard he completed a 49 yard td pass albeit - preseason I'd say the kid still
has the ability to play just as long as he manages to stay healthy
I'M AM LUCIFER THE DEVIL IN THE FLESH

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:56 pm

I watched part of the replay. Griffin was in for 2 series. On the first play from scrimmage Robert threw a bomb for a big completion on a driving catch by Tyrell Pryor. After that he completed 3 short passes, had a pick throwing at a tight end in triple coverage and missed on a few other passes. He was frequently under pressure, got hit a few times. He may have been holding the ball too long but he only got 2 possessions so didn't have an opportunity to get into a rhythm.

I continued to watch the game after Griffin was replaced and the Browns look awful. They were 3-13 last season and may be worse this year. Robert may have found a coach that believes in him but unfortunately the supporting cast looks awful. Things may get better if Gordon stays out of trouble and is allowed to play but being the QB for the Browns is a tough gig.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:05 am

Cleveland unfortunately was/is the worst possible landing spot for Robert.. that team has a fascinating way of just obliterating qbs careers. I wish nothing but the best for RG (except any time he plays vs us of course), his work ethic and love for the game might make him the exception to the (Cleveland city of Qb carousel) rule... but if I had to be completely honest I'd predict an up and down season; likely capped with an injury or 2.
No pressure no diamonds!
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:16 pm

The one thing I'd like to add regarding my observations is the Cleveland game looks like a solid W for Washington no matter who is playing QB for the Browns that day. It is tough for a team to go 0-16 but Cleveland definitely has 0-16 potential.

08 Champ

a better outing this week

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 am

this is not going to be an easy place to prove the doubters wrong but this kid is not a quitter
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

Diesel

Re: RG3 - trying to prove he can play QB in the NFL

Postby DEHog » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:02 am

Man I'm so glad he's not here...can you imagine the circus the media would have with his divorce??
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:28 am

Griffin had a good second game with 2 TDs and couple of long runs. I didn't see the game so I'm wondering if the runs were read option runs or did he tuck it down and run out of a pass formation in any case his stats are nice.

Hog

Re: a better outing this week

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:39 am

SkinsJock wrote:this is not going to be an easy place to prove the doubters wrong but this kid is not a quitter

Tell that to his soon to be ex-wife.

What a tool.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:10 am

just keeping in touch - thanks for the post :lol:

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:51 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:this is not going to be an easy place to prove the doubters wrong but this kid is not a quitter

Tell that to his soon to be ex-wife.

What a tool.

Not knowing the ins and outs... that's a pretty lame statement. Maybe she's a hooooo e?

A divorce certainly doesn't mean woman beating d bag.
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Just watched the replay of the Browns game and Robert played very well. They are using the read option and one of his two 20 yard runs came off a read option play and the other one when he rolled to the right and took it up the field. The roll out play looked like a designed run. On both runs Robert smartly slid feet first before a guy got within 5 yards of him. Maybe losing his job, sitting on the bench the bench and getting released finally got through to him. Whatever the reason if he can stick to sliding early like this his chances of staying healthy and succeeding as a starter in the league go way up.

He threw the ball well throughout the half. He had two long passes for about 50 yards in the air each. Another bomb to Pryor and the other one to his tight end. Both of them were long sideline passes with a nice arc that dropped in for his receivers, excellent throws. He also made a number of good short and mid range throws.

Griffin got sacked on one play because he held the ball a long time on a deep drop and never stepped up into the pocket. The LT eventually got beat on an inside move after the play dragged on too long and Robert got hit another time when he didn't see a blitz coming. Other those two plays Robert looked really comfortable in the Cleveland offense. He is productive in the read option and disciplined enough now to slide and he seemed comfortable running Hue's offense which is probably a lot simpler than Gruden's WCO. The Browns offense plays to Griffin's strengths in running and throwing the deep ball. Pryor is emerging as a very effective deep threat with great size and speed. I don't think the Browns need Josh Gordon but having Gordon and Pryor on the field would make some good targets.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:14 pm

Spot on, honest evaluation. Very refreshing to read an unbiased post about RG, and giving props where do from ya OldSkewl!!

I don't think you meant that he did, but to clarify, they didn't run the read option every down... and Robert actually looked good in the pocket.

I'll also add that one of his sacks was a blown protection from the FB. IDK if he made that blocking assignment at the line or not, but OT was obvious that he missed the block and gave up the sack.

Another nice thing to see, apart from the smart feet first slides, was on a horrible snap. From the shotgun position the center hiked the ball about 6 feet over the b and about 40 feet past him... RGiii smartly dove on it, instead of trying to be superman and make a play. That's a definite sign of maturity from what we saw here.

*he ended up getting face masked and got a first down out of the play any how.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:43 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:A divorce certainly doesn't mean woman beating d bag.

Meeting the chick on instagram, getting her name tattooed on his arm after 3 months, buying a house with his wife in April, knowing that he's leaving her, sexting on his wedding night, makes me think he's a tool. He also thought it was prudent to announce his divorce to his teammates and coaches. The stories that were told about him for years, which we all turned a blind eye to, about him being delusional, seem to be more true than ever.

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:26 am

OldSchool wrote:Griffin had a good second game with 2 TDs and couple of long runs. I didn't see the game so I'm wondering if the runs were read option runs or did he tuck it down and run out of a pass formation in any case his stats are nice.

He played really well. Thought he was fine the first game too. One was a read-option and the other was just a roll out (nobody appeared open) and scramble. He even threw one away out of bounds and the other imcompletion was a drop by the rb. What the stats do not tell you is he was without his top 3 wr's. Pryor is the 4th guy. Don't think the sack was his fault...the olineman appeared to get beat from the snap (only seen one time so i can't be so sure). But RG took the sack instead of forcing it. Thought he made good decisions. Hue is a good teacher, him and Pep.

Interesting that this is the best he have looked I've seen him even better than his rookie year (preseason wise). Crazy but he didn't run 1 read option and was under center the majority of the time last year smh. If it translates then the Browns may be a .500 team.

In other news Alfred Morris has looked good too, like his rookie year or close. Boy look hungry and it helps that the line is better.

Still early to tell though. I heard DYoung may be in Chicago.

Return to Around the League