Robert Griffin III

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
Hog

Re: RG3 - trying to prove he can play QB in the NFL

Postby OldSchool » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:53 pm

mastdark81 wrote:
OldSchool wrote:Griffin had a good second game with 2 TDs and couple of long runs. I didn't see the game so I'm wondering if the runs were read option runs or did he tuck it down and run out of a pass formation in any case his stats are nice.

He played really well. Thought he was fine the first game too. One was a read-option and the other was just a roll out (nobody appeared open) and scramble. He even threw one away out of bounds and the other imcompletion was a drop by the rb. What the stats do not tell you is he was without his top 3 wr's. Pryor is the 4th guy. Don't think the sack was his fault...the olineman appeared to get beat from the snap (only seen one time so i can't be so sure). But RG took the sack instead of forcing it. Thought he made good decisions. Hue is a good teacher, him and Pep.

Interesting that this is the best he have looked I've seen him even better than his rookie year (preseason wise). Crazy but he didn't run 1 read option and was under center the majority of the time last year smh. If it translates then the Browns may be a .500 team.

In other news Alfred Morris has looked good too, like his rookie year or close. Boy look hungry and it helps that the line is better.

Still early to tell though. I heard DYoung may be in Chicago.

I agree with you Robert looked good running Hue's offense. I did see the sack a couple of times and it appeared to me that Robert dropped deep and remained at that level instead of climbing back into the pocket as he should to do his part to help the lineman maintain the pocket. That aside he looked the most comfortable and effective I've seen him play. The most impressive thing for me was the two long runs capped off with crisp leg first slides before anyone got within 5 yards of him. Robert played a smart Russell style game where he used his mobility but without taking stupid risks. Cleveland has been the deathbed of their last 20-25 QBs so maybe the are due for a resurrection....:-)

CKRGiii

Re: a better outing this week

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:43 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:A divorce certainly doesn't mean woman beating d bag.

Meeting the chick on instagram, getting her name tattooed on his arm after 3 months, buying a house with his wife in April, knowing that he's leaving her, sexting on his wedding night, makes me think he's a tool. He also thought it was prudent to announce his divorce to his teammates and coaches. The stories that were told about him for years, which we all turned a blind eye to, about him being delusional, seem to be more true than ever.

Well I certainly don't know the ins and outs of his personal life; that's the first I've heard of all that too.

Maybe they got pregnant then she wanted to get married knowing they'd get a divorce to take half dat ass? IDK, bit o try not to judge people in situations like this unless there was physical abuse is Ray Rice type of *sh$t*
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:02 am

haters are going to hate ...

I'd like to see Griffin play at a high level ... except on week 4

it'd be good for the NFL and great for Brown's fans
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:haters are going to hate ...

I don't think it will happen. He cannot play in the pocket. He did not develop any skills in that direction in Washington... and I can't imagine that he has picked them up now. Hue Jackson has staked his coaching career on this super talented athlete with a sprinter's body, who cannot be successful playing in a system that would protect that body. His success will come from his mobility, his ability to threaten the edges, and freeze linebackers and DE's. And, that sprinter's body will be broken... again. And Hue Jackson will find his career in jeopardy, as well.

Don't like it. Still like Bob. ..But, he is not a physical match for NFL play. His demise is inevitable, IMO. I like Hue Jackson... but he has staked his future to a glass athlete.

That is my Bob prediction.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:59 am

Just admit that you want Griffin to have a better season than Cousins because you desperately want to be proven right.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:17 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:haters are going to hate - I'd like to see Griffin play at a high level, except week 4

Just admit that you want Griffin to have a better season than Cousins because you desperately want to be proven right.

you just don't get it - I want Griffin to prove that he can play QB in the NFL and that he should have been coached/taught to play the position differently - this would seem to be a most difficult place to go .... but

I really hope Cousins shows the Redskins that they were wrong in their (and my) estimation of what he's worth
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:34 am

Countertrey wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'd like to see Griffin play at a high level ... except on week 4

I don't think it will happen. He cannot play in the pocket. He did not develop any skills in that direction in Washington... and I can't imagine that he has picked them up now. Hue Jackson has staked his coaching career on this super talented athlete with a sprinter's body, who cannot be successful playing in a system that would protect that body. His success will come from his mobility, his ability to threaten the edges, and freeze linebackers and DE's. And, that sprinter's body will be broken... again. And Hue Jackson will find his career in jeopardy, as well.

Don't like it. Still like Bob. ..But, he is not a physical match for NFL play. His demise is inevitable, IMO. I like Hue Jackson... but he has staked his future to a glass athlete.

I agree with most of this and I think that this is a very difficult place to go to try and make the transition from the way that he's played QB but maybe Hue can coach him up

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:38 am

RGIII is trash and so is anyone spending more time in this thread than in the Hogwash forum. :P
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:36 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:RGIII is trash and so is anyone spending more time in this thread than in the Hogwash forum

thanks for showing up and clearing up any doubts about your integrity as well :P

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:30 pm

SkinsJock wrote:thanks for showing up and clearing up any doubts about your integrity as well :P

You do realize the tongue sticking out emoticon indicates a joke, right? 8-[
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:43 pm

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:thanks for showing up and clearing up any doubts about your integrity as well :P

You do realize the tongue sticking out emoticon indicates a joke, right? 8-[

welcome back :roll:

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:40 am

Countertrey wrote:

I agree with all of this except Hue Jackson's career being in jeopardy. Griffin was signed to a 2-year "show me" deal. If he doesn't, he's done. I don't think that will have any effect on Hue.

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 am

Countertrey wrote:

I agree with you Robert failed to make progress towards becoming competent in the pocket in Washington. He was ineffective in 2013, 2014 and during the preseason in 2015. He was gifted the first string job and the Shanahan's and Gruden both invested their 1st string reps on Griffin. Robert was totally lost and made as much progress as a remedial math student mistakenly placed in an advanced calculus class.

After watching him not only fail miserably trying to run a WCO but also fail to show any signs of improvement I dismissed Griffin as incapable of ever being able to process the field fast enough to become competent. My harsh assessment may prove accurate but in Cleveland Robert is off to a nice start running what appears to be variation of the read option offense he ran in 2012 with a dose of plays out of the pocket thrown in the mix.

The early results look good. He is sliding early to avoid hits so he is using his mobility effectively without taking the frequent hits that drove us nuts. He has thrown well out of the pocket and except for a couple exceptions got the ball out and mostly accurately. I suspect he doesn't have all the route trees toaccount for and as many decisions to make in Hue's offense as he did in Gruden's WCO.

Whatever the differences Griffin looks comfortable. It will be interesting to see how he fairs during regular season games when the defenses mix things up on him but thus far Robert is off to a good start running an offense that leverages his mobility and doesn't over tax his processing skill in the pocket, good for him.
Last edited by OldSchool on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:06 am

there are many good college QBs that clearly show they are not capable of making the adjustment to be able to play the position in the NFL just like there are many coaches in the NFL that are not capable of helping good college players make the transition

I do think that Hue Jackson will not be back as HC in 2017 if Griffin does not play well

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:02 pm

SkinsJock wrote:there are many good college QBs that clearly show they are not capable of making the adjustment to be able to play the position in the NFL just like there are many coaches in the NFL that are not capable of helping good college players make the transition

I do think that Hue Jackson will not be back as HC in 2017 if Griffin does not play well

I think it would be horribly unfair to fire Hue after one year if he can't resurrect Griffin's QB career. This would be hasty and bad even for Cleveland. Two NFL staffs have been unable to help Griffin reach competence running an NFL offense so if Griffin fails in Cleveland who is really going to be surprised?

Judging by his play in the first couple of games Hue has put together an offense that plays to Robert's strengths which is all Hue can do in a season. Another thing, I think Hasslam would catch a lot of heat from the league for firing a black coach after one season if he could not resurrect the Browns and Griffin. Griffin needs to show progress this season to factor in the Brown's plans for next season but I think Hue should get at least another season to get his hands around the Browns to demonstrate he has them moving forward.

Return to Around the League