Robert Griffin III

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
08 Champ
Location: New England - Red Sox & Patriots - how great is that

Re: RG3 - trying to prove he can play QB in the NFL

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Just heard that Griffin is on IR - I doubt that we'll see him playing QB again - taking that hit and not being available is just stupid
Hoping that Dan Snyder will make sweeping changes is probably not realistic - shame that ...
we're looking at a couple of years to get better here - time to rebuild ... big time

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:05 pm

When he was released from the Skins I posted that I thought it would be best for him to go to the CFL or Arena football so he could compete at a lower level and work on the holes in his game like a young MLB player going back to the minors to fix the holes in their games. He got a 6.3M from the Browns but wasn't able to hang in long enough to progress. If he is serious about working on the mental aspects of the game I think he should consider doing this instead of hanging on to the bench in the NFL.

I don't know if it is possible for Griffin to learn how to process the field fast enough for the NFL. Intelligence comes in different stripes and he may not have the spatial intelligence to play QB in the NFL. I think his chances of mastering that critical aspect of playing QB would be improved if he played a couple of years at lower/slower level. A number of NFL QBs spent some time honing there skills in the CFL and Arena League before achieving success in the NFL. Warren Moon and Kurt Warner are the two that come to mind but I know there have been others.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 am

OldSchool wrote: A number of NFL QBs spent some time honing there skills in the CFL and Arena League before achieving success in the NFL. Warren Moon and Kurt Warner are the two that come to mind but I know there have been others.

Joe Theismann
Doug Flutie
But none of those couldn't have played in the NFL at the time. They didn't start their careers in "lower" leagues because they couldn't play at the NFL level. They just wanted to play QB in professional football, but weren't offered that opportunity in the NFL.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie

Postby Bdot » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:28 pm

RGIII's problem is always trying to be tougher than the position calls for. Not knowing when to slide.. waiting too long to bail out.. and this time, not getting down or out of bounds and trying to plow through a DB.

He's good enough to play QB in the league, he just hasn't exercised the regard for safety necessary to do it.

Now his time in Cleveland is probably over, and it's too bad that his ego wouldn't let him take a backup position on a better team. Cleveland was probably the worst choice he could have made. He proved in Washington that he can play QB in the NFL. But he's also proven that his ego and desire to be tough and forego situational awareness might be his undoing.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:05 am

He's baaaaaaaack!
According to ESPN.com, RG3 will be the team's starting quarterback when the Browns play host to the Bengals on Sunday.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:50 am

Bdot wrote:RGIII's problem is always trying to be tougher than the position calls for. Not knowing when to slide.. waiting too long to bail out.. and this time, not getting down or out of bounds and trying to plow through a DB.

He's good enough to play QB in the league, he just hasn't exercised the regard for safety necessary to do it.

Now his time in Cleveland is probably over, and it's too bad that his ego wouldn't let him take a backup position on a better team. Cleveland was probably the worst choice he could have made. He proved in Washington that he can play QB in the NFL. But he's also proven that his ego and desire to be tough and forego situational awareness might be his undoing.

I agree 100% on these points Dot, except that he's good enough to play QB in the NFL good post
I'M AM LUCIFER THE DEVIL IN THE FLESH

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:26 am

DEHog wrote:He's baaaaaaaack!
According to ESPN.com, RG3 will be the team's starting quarterback when the Browns play host to the Bengals on Sunday.

Hue is NOT doing this because he thinks that RG3 can help him win a game - the Browns need to find out if he can play QB

Hue needs to know if RG3 can be a part of this hopeless franchise next season
Hoping that Dan Snyder will make sweeping changes is probably not realistic - shame that ...
we're looking at a couple of years to get better here - time to rebuild ... big time

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:21 am

SkinsJock wrote:Hue needs to know if RG3 can be a part of this hopeless franchise next season

SPOILER ALERT:

He can't.

And he's not a good QB.

Diesel

Re: RG3 - STILL trying to prove he can play QB in the NFL

Postby DEHog » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:11 am

Did you see the hit he took yesterday..I'm thinking the player may get fined.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:17 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Hue needs to know if RG3 can be a part of this hopeless franchise next season

SPOILER ALERT:

He can't.

And he's not a good QB.

The Browns won there 1st game. It's no coincidence that Robert was the starting Qb.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:18 am

HEROHAMO wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:

SPOILER ALERT:

He can't.

And he's not a good QB.

The Browns won there 1st game. It's no coincidence that Robert was the starting Qb.

Or that he got knocked out of the game with a concussion. #-o
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Ya same old same ole.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:19 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:

SPOILER ALERT:

He can't.

And he's not a good QB.

Actually I think that's exactly what it was - a coincidence.

BTW, here's the hit:

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:07 am

Griffin seemed to do well today, at least from what I could tell reading the stats and following "gameday" on NFL.com. Griffin drove the Browns to a FG to open the OT period. Browns defense could not stop Steelers when Pittsburgh got their chance with the ball.

Four years ago, Shanahan should have had Griffin holding the clip-board. Played Cousins instead. Let Griffin learn the NFL QB position. (Consider Rypien and Humphries)

08 Champ

Re: RG3

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:51 am

welch wrote:Griffin seemed to do well today, at least from what I could tell reading the stats and following "gameday" on NFL.com. Griffin drove the Browns to a FG to open the OT period. Browns defense could not stop Steelers when Pittsburgh got their chance with the ball.

Four years ago, Shanahan should have had Griffin holding the clip-board. Played Cousins instead. Let Griffin learn the NFL QB position. (Consider Rypien and Humphries)

some of us are not sure about what might have been with this kid but those with any understanding of the game and the value of the QB position, do know that Mike Shanahan should have done things differently with both RG3 and Cousins

Return to Around the League