Yet more on concussions in the NFL

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
Skins History Buff

Yet more on concussions in the NFL

Postby welch » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:11 pm

For full article, see:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... a49566e94d

By Cindy Boren December 11 at 10:46 AM

The Houston Texans’ handling of an injury to quarterback Tom Savage was called into question after video showed him striking his head against the ground and shaking as he lay disoriented on the field.

Savage, who also appeared to spit up blood, came out of the game and entered concussion protocol but initially returned to the field, replacing T.J. Yates on the team’s next possession.

He is now the sixth Texans player dealing with concussions and on Monday morning the Texans announced that Yates would start Sunday against the Jaguars. Tight ends Ryan Griffin and C.J. Fiedorowicz will miss the rest of the season because of concussions; running back Alfred Blue, wide receiver Braxton Miller and linebacker Jelani Jenkins missed the San Francisco game.

Coach Bill O’Brien opened his postgame news conference with a statement in which he said that, in his 25 years of coaching, nothing has been more important than the health of his players. “I love our players,” he said and went on to explain that Savage said he was evaluated and cleared to return, but that he underwent another evaluation after he returned because “because of what they saw.” O’Brien did not elaborate on what that might have meant.

Nothing is more important than the health of the players. OK, got it.

“They try to make the best decision for the player,” O’Brien said. “Whatever they see and the testing that they do they try to make the best decision with the player and they weren’t satisfied with the results of the second test so they decided to pull him, and that’s when he went into the locker room.”

Asked if he was concerned that Savage was allowed to return, O’Brien pointed out that he doesn’t control that and added that he would have kept Savage out if he had seen the video.

“They just come to me and that’s kind of where that’s at,” he said. “I don’t have anything to do with that. All I do is coach.”

All he does is coach, and he loves his players. Sure.

Because he is in the concussion protocol, Savage did not speak with reporters after Houston’s loss, but Chris Nowinski, the founder of the Concussion Legacy Foundation and Boston University’s CTE Center, angrily tweeted that he was “disgusted” that Savage returned. “I would not let my worst enemy go through the 2017 #NFL sideline concussion protocol.” He continued that “the protocol is breached weekly. No one is punished. We pretend it didn’t happen.”

Each season, each week, I'm pulled back to watch the Redskins and the NFL, but I'm beginning to feel guilty.

Hog

Re: Yet more on concussions in the NFL

Postby flamethrower » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:28 pm

Coach O'Brian has shown me that he ain't got a clue dealing with injuries. He's been there for a few years now, and is as clueless as he was when he was hired.
Cowturd hater in the house.
Majesty rider in the house.
Cowturd troll owner here
Does Brokeback mountain mean anything to cowturd fanatics?

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Sadly, the NFL's "effort" to put skirts on players in an attempt to "protect" the players is a futile effort. They knew the risks coming in, concussions, injuries and even possibly long-term damage
from excessive hits is just a reality they've got to deal with. No amount of padding, or telling a player to "pull up" is gonna stop collisions from happening, Football is a psychically aggressive sport
and while I agree, NO player, under NO circumstance should ever be out there to personally end another players career due to their own stupidity IE vendetta

all this protocol is doing? is watering down the game
People don't like the truth because many times the truth takes them out of their comfort zone -
Jesse Ventura

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:15 am

Interesting that the Texans got all the criticism and you didn’t hear a word about the Eagles leaving Wentz in to break Sonny’s team TD record??
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Return to Around the League