Is This a Touchdown ?

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.

Is This a Touchdown ?

Yes. Dude caught it cleanly, got a knee down before being touched, broke the plane.
33%
No. None of the above matters. Going to the ground was unavoidable the moment the catching process began and he simply did not maintain control throughout contact with the ground.
67%

Total votes : 6
Hog

Re: Is This a Touchdown ?

Postby flamethrower » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:56 pm

Pass according to the rules was ruled IN-Com-Plete. Rule was ruled correctly.
Cowturd hater in the house.
Majesty rider in the house.
Cowturd troll owner here
Does Brokeback mountain mean anything to cowturd fanatics?

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:59 pm

according to the rule when the runner reaches the ground either having been touched or falls on his own runner is ruled down
I'M AM LUCIFER THE DEVIL IN THE FLESH

Hog

Postby flamethrower » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Pass according to the rules was ruled IN-Com-Plete. Rule was ruled correctly.
Cowturd troll owner here

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:06 pm

according to the rule when the runner reaches the ground either having been touched or falls on his own runner is ruled down

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:26 pm

TexasCowboy wrote:according to the (NCAA) rule when the runner reaches the ground either having been touched or falls on his own runner is ruled down

Fixed it for you.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:29 pm

the link says nothing about the NCAA the link is showing the rule belongs to the NFL

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:30 am

Good Lord read the rule - the first words after the a in 7a require contact by a defender.

I will post both the NFL and NCAA rule side by side so you can see the difference.

Nothing personal but it’s rather shocking you’re not aware of it.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:52 am

TexasCowboy wrote:The rule is bogus and you know it! only a fool goes along with this sham of a illusion but not even your "pals" in the media are buying that it fails to meet, every requiremejnt, of an official catch. small minds going along with the status quo and the funny thing is? they think they know football what a joke

I'm not the one who thinks a RB was playing defense...so yea I think I know football!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:55 am

TexasCowboy wrote:according to the rule when the runner reaches the ground either having been touched or falls on his own runner is ruled down

Wrong again!!!
Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III had his best run of the season on Sunday against Detroit, but that run became one of Griffin’s worst plays of the season when he went into a head-first slide and lost the ball as he hit the ground. Griffin said he doesn’t like the rule that allows the ground to cause a fumble in that situation.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:10 am

Here is the difference between the NFL and the NCAA with regard to a dead ball. It has been this way for decades. When NCAA players fall down untouched the ball is dead. When an NFL player falls down untouched the ball is not dead and he can get back up and run.

The Differences between NCAA and NFL Rules

How Players are Ruled Down
Perhaps the most glaring difference between the college and pro games is how players are ruled “down”.

In the NFL, a player is down when he is either on the ground and touched by an opposing player or goes to the ground as a result of contact with an opposing player.

In college, a player is down whenever a part of his body other than his feet or hands touches the ground, regardless of whether or not he was touched by an opposing player.

What that means is that if an NFL player falls to the ground without being touched–say after making a diving catch or losing his footing—he can get back up and keep running because the play is still live. In college, he’d be down.

There are some exceptions: in college, the holder on a field goal try is not considered down when he receives the snap even though his knee is on the ground; in the NFL, a quarterback is considered down when he kneels after taking a snap in order to run out the clock.

Your link goes to rule 7a. Here it is. Note the requirement of contact by an opponent.

RULE 7 BALL IN PLAY, DEAD BALL, SCRIMMAGE
SECTION 1 BALL IN PLAY
ARTICLE 1. LIVE BALL. After the ball has been declared ready for play, it becomes a live ball when it is legally snapped or
legally kicked (a free kick or fair catch kick). The ball remains dead if it is snapped or kicked before it is made ready for play.
SECTION 2 DEAD BALL
ARTICLE 1. DEAD BALL DECLARED. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
(a) when a runner is contacted by an opponent and touches the ground with any part of his body other than his hands or feet.
The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground. A runner touching the ground with his hands or feet while in
the grasp of an opponent may continue to advance; or
Note: If, after contact by an opponent, any part of a runner’s leg above the ankle or any part of his arm above the wrist
touches the ground, the runner is down.

Here is the corresponding NCAA rule. No contact by a defender is required in college:

Ball Declared Dead
ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle
or declare it dead:
a. When it goes out of bounds other than a kick that scores a field goal after
touching the uprights or crossbar; when a ball carrier is out of bounds;
or when a ball carrier is so held that his forward progress is stopped.
When in question, the ball is dead (A.R. 4-2-1-II).
b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except his hand or foot, touches
the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses
possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his
body, except his hand or foot

This difference cannot be argued. It has existed for decades and I have never met an adult football fan who was unaware of the difference.

Also, like it or not, both the NCAA and the NFL require a receiver to maintain control of the ball throughout impact with the ground and this requirement is not mitigated by a knee or some other body part hitting the ground on the way to the ground.

Thus, James IS NOT DOWN when his knee hits at the one. This is super obvious in the NFL as he has not been touched yet. It is also the case in college since his failure to maintain control of the ball throughout impact with the ground results in an incomplete pass as opposed to a dead ball at the one.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:35 pm

fails to matter what way he went in, as long as he secures the pass without excessive movement
and makes contact with the ground, without the ball coming free prior to reaching the ground then it is a catch

for someone who claims he coached football you sure know jack about this game

Hog

Postby flamethrower » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:31 pm

How about we look at some NFL Touchdowns and see who is right??
Click the link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS4nPmgBV0U
Cowturd troll owner here

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Now you want to look at actual footage of receivers making touchdown grabs to see who is right? OK let's have a look-see rolls eyes

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:36 pm

3 minutes and 47 seconds and all you see? is catch after catch many of which were touchdowns thanks for proving my point

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm

TexasCowboy wrote:fails to matter what way he went in, as long as he secures the pass without excessive movement
and makes contact with the ground, without the ball coming free prior to reaching the ground then it is a catch

for someone who claims he coached football you sure know jack about this game

What??

Return to Around the League