Merging threads request

New to the board? Please check out the rules here first. We will also post news about the website here.
+++

Merging threads request

Postby NikiH » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:13 am

Ok this is a request for all Mods. I know I may be stepping out on a limb here and I don't want to make anyone mad or seem ungrateful but I have to say this.

Today is Saturday, I actually have time to read the 9 pages of merged threads HOWEVER during the week when I'm at work and I jump on to see what is going on I do not. This news about who we contacted is HUGE. It should not be buried at the bottom of a thread about what people are thinking will happen. I don't have an hour to read through everyones bickering and fighting to see we contacted Adam Arculeta which I had no idea about until just now.

Is there anyway we can not combine everything just remotely related to a category already out there? I get combining all the posts about Arrington being traded. But if there is gossip about him going and then the deal actually happens these things need to be seperated. As a reader of these forums I assume the 4 pages added are still debating his use for the team, not the fact that he's gone.

Just my 2 cents and it may not even be worth that but it would surely make my life easier, not that that is your goal here but just thinking the input could be useful.

Again I appreciate everything you guys do here and I'm just saying this not at a critism but as constructive input.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:50 am

Sorry... gotta take the crunchy with the smooth.

Maybe if as a group, board members displayed any propensity for actually posting things where they were supposed to be... that would work and we wouldn't even need moderators. But they can't.

While you may think that the end result will be positive, in actuality... we'll just end up with 20 threads on the front page that say 'Redskins cut 5 players'... because apparently the onus is strictly on staff to think... not the members... it's easier to just put it wherever the heck they want and wait for a mod to put it in the right place.

I feel your pain, but all someone as to do is start a generic thread in Hog Wash that says 'Players the Redskins are looking at'... and then wouldn't they all really belong there?

No offense, but it's a message board. if days go by where you don't tune in, I think it's just plain inevitible that there will be a mountain to sort through when you do come. I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast when there are hundreds to thousands of posts each and every day. The board has tools in the toolbox like view posts since last visit, and while I know that not all of these functions work for everybody... there are tools in the toolbox that are there to help you sort through a giant pile of unread posts. You can also click on the View Your Posts if you want ot go directly to the last thing that you as an individual typed... it never ceases to amaze me how many people PM me and say, 'Hey where'd my post go' instead of just clicking on a button to find it.

To the moderators though... take the feedback into consideration and maybe ask yourself if you're HELPING the flow of conversation EVERY time you merge a thread. Because that IS our only goal... to streamline conversation... it IS a mod's main function. So if you're not sure if a topic stands on it's own, it probably doesn't... but if you're not sure that a topic is in fact redundant, perhaps it DOES deserve it's own thread.

Fair?

I realize that moderators aren't perfect and there will always be a 'human factor', but I'm very happy with the decisions that they make most of the time... and I can certainly live with the results on the odd time that they are over-exuberant. In my opinion, it's better than a board full of the exact same topic everywhere. The principle may not be FOR everyone, but that's the great thing about the internet, there are other boards and other principles out there that may be better suited to some people's personal likes. Our goal for the board is, was and will always be the same... and our methodology for achieving it has worked well for us so far. So while no offense whatsoever is taken, no changes in philosophy are coming any time soon either.

My 2 cents

I do hope that the moderators will absorb the feedback though, and thanks to Niki for taking the time to give her opinion.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:44 pm

* absorbing feedback :P

mmmmmm feeed....

*forages for food
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

+++

Postby NikiH » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:39 pm

I'm sorry fellas I really mis spoke. I've seen several examples today why merging is a necessity. Thank you for who ever came up with the idea of putting a little hint that it was confirmed as opposed to rumor thought that was very helpful! ;-)
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Return to Site News & Welcome Wagon