The New V3 is Here

New to the board? Please check out the rules here first. We will also post news about the website here.
Site Admin

The New V3 is Here

Postby admin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:38 am

Well you've been hearing about it... it's finally done... well, done enough that we're launching now anyway. You may find some little quirks still, but we're working through the little poltergeists as quickly as possible.

I have posted an accompanying article to help explain some of the new, or just improved features at the site. You can read the article (in the new version of the site) right here...

http://www.thehogs.net/content/index.php?id=714

Just a quick thanks to the staff that chipped in and helped get it going.

I might work some type of site integration into the board, but I might not. :hmm: I can't help those that aren't smart enough to hit the site first, then come to the board. :wink: I will tell you that the link at the top of every page of the message board 9that says 'Visit the THN website' funnily enough) will always take you to the site.

We hope you enjoy the new look as well as the new features, and we thank you for making THN your Redskins community. We hope you'll take some time to look around and familiarize yourself with all of the great content at your fingertips. There is a poll on the new main page that will allow you to vote on whether you like the new site or not, so please make your opinion known there.

Thanks.
Last edited by admin on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:54 am

:celebrate:

Looks great - all you could want and more!
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:00 am

-drinking

Great job on the new site, Mark, it looks fantastic. :up:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:25 am

I never visit the main site because I hate when links open in a new window. (All the browsers I use have tabs, and I don't like having a ton of windows open as well as a ton of tabs.) Can you take target="_blank" off of all of the links between the site and the forum?

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:44 am

Amazing!

:rock:
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04 am

cvillehog wrote:I never visit the main site because I hate when links open in a new window. (All the browsers I use have tabs, and I don't like having a ton of windows open as well as a ton of tabs.) Can you take target="_blank" off of all of the links between the site and the forum?

Just out of curiosity, are you being serious in this request, or facetious?
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:17 am

cvillehog wrote:I never visit the main site because I hate when links open in a new window. (All the browsers I use have tabs, and I don't like having a ton of windows open as well as a ton of tabs.) Can you take target="_blank" off of all of the links between the site and the forum?

You never visit the site? Well considering we just launched the new one, I'm not really sure how long you could have not been going to it for. :hmm:

As for the request... actually most of the links on the new Deluxe version of the site open in the same window... the forum specifically opens in a new window and will likely stay that way... and not everyone uses tabs... so they may actually appreciate the functionality of being able to have both the site and the forum open without having to right click and 'open in a new window'. there are certain areas where the links will open a new window, but usually be design... for example.. the site map page... all of those links open new windows so that the user can still have the site map page open as well. Off site links here virtually always open in a new window, and always will.

Maybe you haven't checked out the new site... maybe you just still won't like it... I don't know. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Hopefully most people will enjoy it and be appreciative of all of the great information, content and resources that you have at your fingertips.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:42 am

The best just got better. Great job Boss. :celebrate:
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:56 am

JansenFan wrote:

Mostly facetious. Though, I do really use a tabbed browser. Apparently I need to work on my humor writing, though...

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:20 pm

cvillehog wrote:
JansenFan wrote:

Mostly facetious. Though, I do really use a tabbed browser. Apparently I need to work on my humor writing, though...

Incidentally, I work for a large Internet company and I'm involved in the reworking of our "style guide" ... I am campaigning for MORE links to open in new windows. I think it makes for a better and less frustrating experience for your average user.
The studies we've been show suggest people are more likely to simply close a window when they are frustrated/confused than they are to attempt to navigate back.
I also use tabs, I have four open right now to various portions of the site. But I work for an Internet company so my familiarity with browsing is beyond that of your "average" user. In fact, there are people I work with who spend their entire workday online who don't know how to use tabs.
My 2 cents
RIP Sean Taylor

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:26 pm

cvillehog wrote:
JansenFan wrote:

That's why I asked. I couldn't tell for sure. :lol:
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:34 pm

Fios wrote: Incidentally, I work for a large Internet company and I'm involved in the reworking of our "style guide" ... I am campaigning for MORE links to open in new windows. I think it makes for a better and less frustrating experience for your average user.

... the main reason behind all EXTERNAL links always launching new windows here. :-)

Like I said, virtually impossible to please all of the people all of the time... but feedback is what helps you at least work towards it, thanks.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:15 pm

BossHog wrote:
Fios wrote: Incidentally, I work for a large Internet company and I'm involved in the reworking of our "style guide" ... I am campaigning for MORE links to open in new windows. I think it makes for a better and less frustrating experience for your average user.

... the main reason behind all EXTERNAL links always launching new windows here. :-)

Like I said, virtually impossible to please all of the people all of the time... but feedback is what helps you at least work towards it, thanks.

I that vein, I would like to point out a minor quirk.
When you are on one of the pages, such as the link you posted
http://www.thehogs.net/content/index.php?id=714
If you drag your pointer over one of the top items (articles, features, redskins info...) you get a drop-down menu that will not go away even if you take your pointer off the item.

PS Great job on the new site.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:30 pm

If you mean that the drop down menu will not disappear... unfortunately we think this is machine specific and tough to address. It could be caused by external things conceivably, like having many windows open etc... but it might not either.

Unfortunately... it's not true for everyone (it works fine for me) and I have fully validated the code for the drop down menu and it all checked out fine.

So I don't know what to tell you other than that maybe one day it'll go away... or it probably won't happen all of the time. :oops:

We have looked at it though, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong and it could very well be machine specific when the 'instance levels' are sporadic. I will post something if I do ever find something that might 'fix' it.

Hog

Postby floridaskinsfan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:30 pm

The new site looks great!!! Thanks for all of the hard work.

Return to Site News & Welcome Wagon