New Posters with all these links??

New to the board? Please check out the rules here first. We will also post news about the website here.
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Sylva, NC

New Posters with all these links??

Postby The Dancing Bear » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:03 am

Hey all, just wanted to ask a question. I have been noticing over the past couple of months that new posters join, and then post a gazillion links in their message. I am afraid to click on them because of all the weird stuff and theft on the internet. Is that what these people are trying to do?

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:09 am

Ummmmm... yea... it's spam. DON'T click on ANY of them.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Pushing Paper
Posts: 4616
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:21 pm

They're spam, and yeah, don't click them.

We try to clean them up as quickly as possible, but there are times when no moderator/staff is on the board, and the posts languish for a little until one of us logs on and gets to them.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14799
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:43 pm

PulpExposure wrote:They're spam, and yeah, don't click them.

We try to clean them up as quickly as possible, but there are times when no moderator/staff is on the board, and the posts languish for a little until one of us logs on and gets to them.



And PLEASE, DON'T POST A REPLY! If you open the thread just leave it. One of us get rid of it as soon as we see it...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Sylva, NC

Postby The Dancing Bear » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:23 pm

Okay, thanks. I thought it had to be some bs for someone to join and then put in all these links.

and Jackson
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:37 am
Location: Charles Town, WV

Postby JansenFan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:16 pm

90% of the time you'll end up with a virus. The other 10%, you will end up at some site you wish you had avoided. You are correct to stay away.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

the 'mudge
Posts: 14799
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:37 am

Once again, a reminder...

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND to these spam threads. Even a quick "WTF" helps to make it harder to find these threads, and to remove them. When you reply, you make it just a little harder for the staff to clean out the garbage... Keeping the board spam free takes a lot of time, and we are more likely to miss them when there is a legitimate members name listed as the last response.

Please... just ignore them... we'll clean them out.

Thanks.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge
Posts: 14799
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:00 pm

I want to thank you all for continuing to ignore the web parasites who litter our board with spam. Those of us who do the housekeeping here appreciate you keeping it easy to find the garbage that needs packing off.

Thanks!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16260
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:30 am

Do y'all report the offenders somehow. I ask because I notice this latest one is for some Manassas car dealership. and it seems that at the very least their ISP could be notified. Maybe Eastern Motors, being a sponsor of the site, has some idea of how to take punitive measures against them.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Site News & Welcome Wagon