Post Game Mark Brunell discussion...(we know you wanted it)

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Hog

Postby HailSkins94 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:26 pm

Mark brunell did exactly what he is supposed to today and he was utilized perfectly by the coaches. He shouldn't have to throw bombs for this offense to be successful. With our playmakers, jsut get the damn ball in their hands, and thats what we did today. Great job by mark today and the entire coaching staff.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Hog
Location: Canton, MA where you can drive your 'cah' to the 'bah' for a 'Budweisah'

Postby ChrisHanburger » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:34 pm

Must have been fun to watch. Must have been therapeutic too after the first 2 games. I'll be down there next weekend and am pumped! Crab feast on Saturday and Jaguar feast on Sunday. :twisted:

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:57 am

Make sure you swing by the tailgate ChrisH.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:15 am

I'm one of the Brunell doubters, and even I can't say that Brunell played poorly. However, HUGE kudos have to go to Al Saunders for game planning this game around Grandma's strengths and weaknesses. I counted two passes that traveled more than 10 yards in the air. Two.

Grandma is good at the short, dump down, one-option passes. And so that's what we did. And it worked. Let's hope it continues to work. Or, that it sets up defenses to step up closer to the LOS, and then Mark can loft the ball behind the defense. I'll take either, frankly.

In the meantime, you have to give props to Mark Brunell for executing the plays perfectly. Except for those 3 incompletions. He sucked on those three. :lol:
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:49 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
ChrisHanburger wrote:I didn't get to see or hear the game. What record did Brunell make today?

22 consecutive completions in one game. Brunell was 22/22 before having an incomplete pass today. (It tied Rich Gannon's record).

21 tied Gannon's record. Mark now owns the record all to himself. He did have a very good game, but he also was extremely lucky. He had two incompletions that were negated by timely penalties. I think only three of the 22 passes were thrown past the line of scrimmage, but those three had plenty of zip on them. We put together several drives, and kept them going by converting on a lot of third down plays. The defense also played well; Houston's two big plays were the result of non-calls (blatant holding) or wrong calls (defensive, rather than offensive interference), and Hall even made a reasonably long FG.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
Location: Canton, MA where you can drive your 'cah' to the 'bah' for a 'Budweisah'

Postby ChrisHanburger » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:18 am

JansenFan wrote:Make sure you swing by the tailgate ChrisH.

Its on the agenda fer shur. Can't wait!

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:04 am

Cappster wrote:I am glad Brunell had a good game and set a record BUT the real test will be next week against the Jaguars. They have a REAL defense and we will know if Brunell has arrived this year or not.

Also keep in mind, that the Skins will be playing against his former team, led by the coach who wrote him off.

With the confidence he gained on the road and playing at home with the 12th man (hopefully) behind him & the team, he might have an even greater incentive to play lights out again.

CLL wrote:LOL, only 9 posts? If I hadn't made this sticky there would have been 20 Brunell threads.
I saw someone mention that the sports commentators aren't mentioning it much....well this thread on has 9 posts.

Forgive the haters, Chris. They can't just flip off the hate like a lightswitch and all of a sudden star t spewing praise. At the very least, let's all give thanks that the complaining has been tempered for a week. :celebrate:

joebagadonuts wrote:[NFL Single-game consecutive completions record holder, Mark Brunell] is good at the short, dump down, one-option passes. And so that's what we did. And it worked. Let's hope it continues to work. Or, that it sets up defenses to step up closer to the LOS, and then Mark can loft the ball behind the defense. I'll take either, frankly.

I missed most of Mark's impressive game, but I did notice something in the second half that falls in line with jbd's previous post. On a draw play to Ladell Betts late in the game, "The Record Breaker" Mark Brunell to ok the snap, froze the linebacker with a pump fake short, and Ladell burst through for a huuuuuuuuge gain. I commented to my wife that the only reason that worked was becase the Texans saw a steady dose of the short stuff.

It might not have been pretty to most, but it was effective, and it helped execute the offensive gameplan to perfection. The record was only a byproduct of the gameplan. :rock:
Back and better than ever!

swine

Postby redskins-28 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:15 am

I'm a Brunell doubter, I think he played very well today. I don't hate him, I just want the Skins to have the best chance at the post season and I'm not sure Brunell is the answer. As previously stated, kudos go to Saunders for changing the offense to compliment Brunells strengths and playing Gibbs type of football, run it down the opposing defenses throat.

A win is a win and I'm very happy, we needed that confidence booster before the game we have next week. I don't care if we only have 10 yard passes as long as we move the ball and win, that's what counts.

:D HTTR
Skins fan since birth!!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:59 am

JSPB22 wrote:21 tied Gannon's record. Mark now owns the record all to himself. He did have a very good game, but he also was extremely lucky. He had two incompletions that were negated by timely penalties. I think only three of the 22 passes were thrown past the line of scrimmage, but those three had plenty of zip on them. We put together several drives, and kept them going by converting on a lot of third down plays. The defense also played well; Houston's two big plays were the result of non-calls (blatant holding) or wrong calls (defensive, rather than offensive interference), and Hall even made a reasonably long FG.

Ah, thank you--I hadn't realized that it was record-setting.

And I agree on those penalties!! If on that play Carlos Rogers had been an offensive player, and Johnson a defensive player, they still would have called defensive pass interference, not offensive pass intereference! Or, put another way, the refs have it out for defenders down the field, and almost never a WR.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby redskingush » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:36 pm

Mark had a great game, but its only one. Its gonna take some consistency for me to like him again, and that still won't happen. Lets see what he can do against Jacksonville. Peyton Manning had happy feet against Jax.
GO SKINS GO!!

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:32 pm

I've been perusing another board as I do once in awhile (I know, BAD bagadonuts! BAD!), and I have to comment on how impressed I am at the conduct between the Brunell Haters (BH) and the Brunell Defenders (BD) on this board.

No bickering, no 'I told you so *expletive*'. Instead, realistic, polite commentary from both sides. Makes me proud to be a THNer. Keep it up, folks.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:56 pm

joebagadonuts wrote:I've been perusing another board as I do once in awhile (I know, BAD bagadonuts! BAD!), and I have to comment on how impressed I am at the conduct between the Brunell Haters (BH) and the Brunell Defenders (BD) on this board.

No bickering, no 'I told you so . . . Instead, realistic, polite commentary from both sides. Makes me proud to be a THNer. Keep it up, folks.

joebagadonuts, your post has been edited for profanity. Now stop using it you *expletive*

:lol:

I agree that things here have been fairly cool. . .which is a miracle, sometimes. The worst it got was following the Dallas loss, but who can expect anything good after a loss to Dallas?

Generally we've got level-headed people purusing THN, and that certainly shows when times get tough.

(in case anyone that's reading this is wondering I was kidding about the warning. . .)
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby thaiphoon » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:14 pm

Irn-Bru -> I'll add another log to the fire and say Mark and the Offense played a heckuva game. From me it earns them this -> that regardless of how we do the next few weeks I will attempt (no guarantees but I'll try) to refrain from public criticism of the team until the bye week (Week 6 right?). By then I'm assuming we'll all know what kind of team we have and can discuss the strengths/weaknesses with more information.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:05 pm

joebagadonuts wrote:I've been perusing another board as I do once in awhile (I know, BAD bagadonuts! BAD!), and I have to comment on how impressed I am at the conduct between the Brunell Haters (BH) and the Brunell Defenders (BD) on this board.

No bickering, no 'I told you so *expletive*'. Instead, realistic, polite commentary from both sides. Makes me proud to be a THNer. Keep it up, folks.

It isn't like it 'just happens'. It's the EXACT same thing that others are bitching about that makes it so... keeping threads on topic, and keeping bickering to a minimum by not allowing personal attacks.

While the staff are pretty humble about it... they are the reason that you're able to enjoy this community free of a lot of that rhetoric.

I think they do a great job too, and that's why we stick to our guns no matter what - ultimately, it makes THN a better place.

My 2 cents

... and shame on you joe for your lack of fidelity. :wink:

Hog

Postby thaiphoon » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:20 pm

Thanks for your hard work Boss. I always try to keep the flames to the smack section and I hope you appreciate it. I realize you guys do a helluva job and it is tiring and time consuming work but I owe you guys a debt of gratitude for this site. I may not always agree with everyone but I love the fact we're all Redskins fans (not counting the #$$%%^ fans from other teams that come here to talk smack hehe :) )

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006