Who's calling the shots?

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Junior Hog

Who's calling the shots?

Postby Jake » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:00 pm

Brian Mitchell picked on something Portis said his postgame interview.

Portis was describing his 74 yard reception in the first quarter and then towards the end of describing it said that it was a great call by Gibbs.

Then Brian Mitchell, on Comcast Sports Net's Redskins Post Game Live, pointed that out and asked "Who's calling the shots, Gibbs or Saunders?"

I think he has a point. Gibbs was supposed to hand over his play-calling duties.

Maybe he took over today and gave us the win????
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

piglet

Postby 91SKINS » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:25 pm

Either way, todays play calling was pretty good, a lot of misdirections to get us 2 and 4 type situations.
Smoooooot, how did you drop the INT?
Our Pass D stinks, lucky the fins drop so many.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:27 pm

91SKINS wrote:Either way, todays play calling was pretty good, a lot of misdirections to get us 2 and 4 type situations.

Yep. We ran a draw play to close out the half. . .and scored a TD. Houston didn't know what to except next.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:41 pm

Very interesting.

I've actually been thinking that for a while. I know Gibbs still plays a major role in the game planning, but maybe he makes some play call on the fly during the game.

Gibbs... Saunders... play calling??? Nope, doesn't matter to me. Either way, I'm very happy with the entire coaching staff.

~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Who's calling the shots?

Postby air_hog » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:42 pm

Jake wrote:Brian Mitchell picked on something Portis said his postgame interview.

Portis was describing his 74 yard reception in the first quarter and then towards the end of describing it said that it was a great call by Gibbs.

Then Brian Mitchell, on Comcast Sports Net's Redskins Post Game Live, pointed that out and asked "Who's calling the shots, Gibbs or Saunders?"

I think he has a point. Gibbs was supposed to hand over his play-calling duties.

Maybe he took over today and gave us the win????

:-k

Excellent point, I mean todays offense seemed much different than the last two weeks offense.

It seemed much more like a Joe Gibbs offense... Lots of short routes, pounding the rock....

Hmm, that's pretty interesting.
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:13 am

i think portis is just giving credit to gibbs as the head coach. i've read some comments by saunders and others that seem to suggest that saunders kind of decided after last week that brunell had certain things he could do and certain things he couldn't, and decided to load up the game plan with what he CAN do, which gibbs had already been doing last year, presumably.

i enjoyed the game tremendously, though i think we'll probably have to do a little more than that to beat a good team. whatever works though, if that works go with it.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:21 am

die cowboys die wrote:i think portis is just giving credit to gibbs as the head coach. i've read some comments by saunders and others that seem to suggest that saunders kind of decided after last week that brunell had certain things he could do and certain things he couldn't, and decided to load up the game plan with what he CAN do, which gibbs had already been doing last year, presumably.

i enjoyed the game tremendously, though i think we'll probably have to do a little more than that to beat a good team. whatever works though, if that works go with it.

No 'sky is falling' this week brother?

... it must have been a decent game. :wink:

Jokes aside... glad you enjoyed it. Some haven't been able to even allow themselves that. And I agree with your asessment completely.

Don't you owe Brunell at least an updated sig though? :twisted:

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:28 am

How quickly does the play-caller (whoever it is) send the next play into the QB?

There was one time they showed Saunders for a good 30 seconds between plays and his lips didn't move.

Unless he's a ventriloquist, he either called the next play immediately after the previous one or he didn't call the play at all.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Hog

Postby dmwc » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:49 am

I didnt see the game but I can only assume that after the DAL game that Gibbs, Williams, and Saunders had a meeting and that Gibbs would take over a little bit.

What happens when JC comes in does the O have to change for him then?
>>>IT STARTS WITH D and O LINEMEN, EVERY DOWN, EVERY GAME, EVERY SEASON<<<

RIP # 21!

Tired of people who think we need superstars at EVERY position to excel... we dont... just 53 guys who are tough an smart

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:23 am

Try not look at it as 'Gibbs' and 'Saunders'. Try to look at it as a collective. My sense is that the two men spend so much time together discussing the offense and game planning that they probably are in perfect synch during the game.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

Hog

Postby BernieSki » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:37 am

I looks like Al Sunders has designed the plays and Joe Gibbs is deciding where to use them. I think this is how it should work. I was listening to Joe Jacoby this morning and he said that Al Saunders said that this offense is designed for Portis and that is why it has not worked well that last two weeks.
BernSki

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:16 am

admin wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:i think portis is just giving credit to gibbs as the head coach. i've read some comments by saunders and others that seem to suggest that saunders kind of decided after last week that brunell had certain things he could do and certain things he couldn't, and decided to load up the game plan with what he CAN do, which gibbs had already been doing last year, presumably.

No 'sky is falling' this week brother?

... it must have been a decent game. :wink:

Jokes aside... glad you enjoyed it. Some haven't been able to even allow themselves that. And I agree with your asessment completely.

Don't you owe Brunell at least an updated sig though? :twisted:

good point Boss-- i had forgotten all about the sig. here is the newly updated version
|
|
|
|
V

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:19 am

also, i seriously don't believe gibbs would just strip all or even some play-calling from saunders, especially this soon into their working relationship. when he brought him over here you can be sure he was offered/promised a high degree of autonomy and authority over the offense. gibbs would not sabotage his relationship with saunders by "benching" him as a playcaller.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:24 am

Gibbs has always said that Saunders would call the plays, but that he would retain final say as to which play would be relayed to the QB.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:45 am

In all honestly, if the team plays the way it did Sunday, I don't care if Charles Barkley calls the plays.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006