Who's calling the shots?

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:15 pm

RedskinsFreak wrote:How quickly does the play-caller (whoever it is) send the next play into the QB?

There was one time they showed Saunders for a good 30 seconds between plays and his lips didn't move.

Unless he's a ventriloquist, he either called the next play immediately after the previous one or he didn't call the play at all.

Saunders often scripts things out 5-6 plays ahead, I'm willing to be he's a helluva chess player
RIP Sean Taylor

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:39 pm

The playcalling in that game was not what I would have expected from Gibbs... I doubt that he has ever called for a shovel pass in his life. I also think that Gibbs would not have been able to avoid the temptation of calling a few more deep routes.

I doubt also that he would have taken the reigns from Saunders until and unless his game calling was not getting it done with all the pieces in place. Not his style (see Mark Brunell)
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby JPFair » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:04 am

To piggy back on what Jake said, if you listened to Portis's press conference after the game, they asked him about the draw play at the end of the 2nd quarter, and he said something to the effect of "Coach Gibbs wanted to go for a field goal, and I said to him let me get a few more yards to set up the field goal and he threw me in there go get a few yards, and they opened up a hole for me and got the TD". When I heard him say it, I remember saying to myself "I thought Saunders was calling the plays".

I think that Gibbs, Saunders, and Williams draw up the game plan, with certain plays to be run, and Gibbs will let Saunders call the plays for the most part. But, I'd say there's a "few" times during the game where Gibbs will instruct what "type" of play to call.

Good point though!!
Sit back and watch the Redskins.

SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:07 pm

I picked up on the same thing, and if my memory serves me correctly, I think Saunders mentioned that there would be in-game calls and decisions that Gibbs would make.

None of us knows the entire dynamic, but I think that since Saunders is in the booth he is in constant communication with Gibbs who can communicate with the players. I'm pretty sure that both Gibbs and Saunders are not talking to Brunell at the same time....heck when I played football the coach sent the play in through the wide receiver, who brought it into the huddle.

Either way...I am sure Gibbs makes decisons from time to time.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:07 am

The Hogster wrote:I picked up on the same thing, and if my memory serves me correctly, I think Saunders mentioned that there would be in-game calls and decisions that Gibbs would make.

None of us knows the entire dynamic, but I think that since Saunders is in the booth he is in constant communication with Gibbs who can communicate with the players. I'm pretty sure that both Gibbs and Saunders are not talking to Brunell at the same time....heck when I played football the coach sent the play in through the wide receiver, who brought it into the huddle.

Either way...I am sure Gibbs makes decisons from time to time.

At Wednesdays presser Gibbs was asked about CP's statement and said it was Al's call and that he was a little worried with the amount of time that was left
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006