Scouts Inc. Skins v. Jags Take 2

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Hog

Scouts Inc. Skins v. Jags Take 2

Postby riggofan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:42 am

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features ... =261001028

This is an espn insider article from today. Wish I could post the graphics, but I was struck by their matchup/advantage analysis:

QB: Jax
RB: Was
WR: Was
OL: Jax
DL: Jax
DB: Jax
LB: Jax
ST: Was
Coach: Jax
Overall: Jax

Coaching advantage Jacksonville? What??? Yeah I respect Jack Del Rio, but we have a HOF, THREE TIME SUPER BOWL WINNING COACH. Not to mention Al Saunders, Gregg Williams and the rest of that bunch.

Sorry, but we get the Coaching advantage against any team in this league. Bellicheck included. Haven't seen him win any NASCAR championships. :)

Here is the full article, which I hope is ok to post.

Earlier this week, our scouts filed their advance scouting report on this week's matchup between the Jaguars and Redskins. Now they're back with a second look.

• Jacksonville has the third-best defense in the NFL, allowing 249 yards per game, 190 yards passing and 59 yards rushing. Defensive coordinator Mike Smith will try and get pressure on QB Mark Brunell with just his front four and will mix in some blitzes to keep the heat on Brunell. If Smith does bring pressure look for him to bring it up the middle by attacking the A gaps with linebackers Mike Peterson and Daryl Smith or Nick Greisen. Gut pressure will force Brunell to get rid of the ball quickly or risk taking a hit.

Portis• Redskins running back Clinton Portis is going to find little daylight to run this week. The Jaguars have held all three of their opponents to under 100 yards this year. Jaguars DTs Marcus Stroud and John Henderson are two big bodies who require the guards to stay on them longer, giving freedom of action to the Jags' linebackers.
Look for the Jaguars to start the game by playing a soft run defense to dare the Redskins to run the ball outside, forcing Portis to run lateral. If they cannot stop the run with seven in the box, then they will bring strong safety Donovin Darius down for run support. The Jaguars need to shut down Portis and make the Redskins one dimensional.

• The Redskins need to keep drives going by converting on third down. They are converting 37.5 percent of their third downs, while Jacksonville's defense has an third-down efficiency rating of 36.6 percent. The one down and distance the Redskins need to improve on is third and short. Offensive coordinator Al Saunders will put WR Santana Moss or Antwaan Randle El in the slot to work on Jaguars nickel back Terry Cousin. If the Jaguars double the slot receiver in man-to-man situations, then Brunell needs to get the ball to Chris Cooley on option routes.

• Jacksonville offensive coordinator Carl Smith likes to run a three-wide receiver personnel group that spreads defenses out. Smith wants to establish the run to set up play-action pass to throw the ball deep against a Redskins secondary that has given up 11 passes over 20 yards, including two for touchdowns.

Byron Leftwich has not had a lot of success throwing deep, completing only five passes over 20 yards, but he could pad his stats this week. Redskins corners Kenny Wright, Carlos Rogers and Mike Rumph are going to get tested; fortunately for them they all match up speed-wise with the Jaguars' receivers.

• The Redskins' offense needs to repeat the success it had last week by using a balanced game plan that gives Brunell short, quick passes. Saunders need to keep using the wide receiver bubble screen this week to wear out Jacksonville's massive DTs by making them case the ball. Also, Saunders must try and run the football outside and keep Portis' injured shoulder away from the pounding inside.

• Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will have to balance his pressure package with giving help to his secondary, a group that is giving up 217 yards passing a game. The defense has not been getting the pressure it needs with a four-man rush (only three sacks this season.) Williams has had success in the past attacking the type of zone protection scheme the Jaguars use. Look for Williams to bring pressure on Leftwich on passing downs, trying to get him to throw early and into coverage.

Special Teams
Teams that have good defenses usually have good special teams, but that is not the case with the Jaguars. Punter Chris Hanson ranks 30th with a net average of just 33.4 yards. The good news is that Hanson has pinned teams inside their own 20-yard line six times with only three touchbacks. Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio likes to play the field position game. The Jags have a dangerous kickoff returner in running back Maurice Jones-Drew, who is averaging 26 yards. Jaguars kicker Josh Scobee missed two field goals last week in Indy.

The Redskins have the second-ranked kickoff return unit in the league with a 28-yard return average. Rock Cartwright and Ladell Betts both have the ability for big returns. Cartwright, the main returner, has a 100-yard return for a touchdown to his credit. In a game that could be about field position, Redskins punter Derrick Frost has a net punt average of over 40 yards, but has only two punts inside opponents' 20-yard line.

Matchups
• Jaguars QB Byron Leftwich vs. Redskins FS Sean Taylor
• Redskins TE Chris Cooley vs. Jaguars SS Donovin Darius
• Redskins RB Clinton Portis vs. Jaguars linebackers
• Jaguars DT Marcus Stroud vs. Redskins LOG Derrick Dockery
• Redskins WR Santana Moss vs. Jaguars CB Brian Williams

Scouts' Edge
The Redskins are coming off a confidence-boosting win in Houston, where they finally found their offensive rhythm. The Redskins' offense will have to hit on all cylinders this weekend to have any hopes of moving the ball against Jacksonville's tough defense. The Jags, after losing a tough game to the Colts last week, are looking to their anger out on the Redskins. Jacksonville's offense should be able to move the ball through the air against a porous Redskins secondary.

Prediction: Jaguars 20, Redskins 10

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:06 pm

Byron Leftwich has not had a lot of success throwing deep, completing only five passes over 20 yards

Yikes, that's even worse than Brunell!
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:27 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
Byron Leftwich has not had a lot of success throwing deep, completing only five passes over 20 yards

Sssssshhhhhhhhhh. Don't mention the "B" word.

I notice there wasn't any justification in the article for ranking the Jaguars coaching staff as better than ours.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:28 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

That's actually very good to know. I think the Redskins achilles heel has always been their ability to cover the deep ball or, to put it more succinctly, their inability to cover the deep ball.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

####

Postby JPM36 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:59 pm

Jack Del Rio and his 0-1 playoff record gets the nod over Joe Gibbs and his (I believe) 18-6 playoff record complete with 4 NFC championships and 3 Super Bowl titles?

That's about all I need to see in this preview.

I know we are biased towards him but Joe Gibbs has to be by far the most underrated head coach in all of professional sports.

3 weeks ago there was a guy who gave the coaching edge to Brad Childress over Gibbs and it was the first game of his career!!!

You really have to wonder what these guys are thinking, or whether they are thinking at all when they write this crap.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Scouts Inc. Skins v. Jags Take 2

Postby 1niksder » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:24 pm

Prediction: Jaguars 20, Redskins 10

The Jags scored 2 TD late in the 4th qtr against ttiT in week 1 other than that they haven't put up more than 14 points in any game and the Skins have only given up 20+ once this year. :roll:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:47 pm

I don't understand why people get so upset about these predictions. The Jags have beaten the Cowboys (who we lost to quite badly), beat the reigning Super Bowl champs in Pittsburgh, and played the Colts very tough on the road. The only team that we've beaten so far is the Texans. Of ocurse the Jags should be favored to win.

####

Postby JPM36 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:28 pm

I'm not upset about them picking Jacksonville to win. They are favored and should be.

Bu saying they have the edge at COACH of all things is utterly ridiculous.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:38 pm

I'm not upset about them picking Jacksonville to win. They are favored and should be.

Bu saying they have the edge at COACH of all things is utterly ridiculous.

When they pick "Coach" in those predictions I don't think that they are actually commenting on the actual coaching abilities of the respective coaches. They usaally give the edge to the team that is playing better at the time.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:47 am

Ah, so when they rate the coaches, they're not actually rating the coaches? Now I get it.

What about when they rate the wide receivers - do they judge them by ability, performance, or just dress sense?

Actually, I think you might be right. These people are too lazy to do anything other than take a look at the win-loss columns, and make their decision that Del Rio is a better coach than Gibbs based on the records after three weeks. :roll:
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006