Colts Defense

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Hog

Colts Defense

Postby SkinzCanes » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:37 pm

The Colts D got a lot better today. They've had trouble stopping the run so they traded their second round pick for Anthony McFarland of the Bucs.

The Colts made a strong move Tuesday to improve their run defense, acquiring defensive tackle Anthony McFarland in a trade-deadline deal with the Buccaneers in exchange for a 2007 second-round draft pick.

The NFL has confirmed that the McFarland trade was only deal made before Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET trade deadline, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported.

McFarland, 6 feet and 300 pounds, has spent the last six seasons as a starter on the Bucs' line. Considered one of the NFL's top run defenders at the tackle position, he helped Tampa Bay rank in the top 10 in the league in total defense during each of his seven seasons with the team.

The Colts rank 32nd in the NFL against the run this season, having allowed 166.8 yards per game. They allowed 110.1 yards per game last season.

McFarland entered this season with 292 career tackles, 20 sacks, three forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries. He has played in 93 career games with 79 starts. He started all five games this season for the Bucs recording six tackles and two assists.

Meanwhile, the Bucs moved immediately to fill McFarland's roster spot by signing veteran cornerback Phillip Buchanon, who less than 24 hours before was released by the Houston Texans.

Buchanon, a former first-round draft choice, signed a one-year contract with the Bucs late Tuesday afternoon.

The deal reunites Buchanon with Bucs general manager Bruce Allen, who was a top executive in Oakland's front office when the Raiders chose Buchanan with the 17th overall selection in the 2002 draft. The short-term contract will provide Buchanon the opportunity to perhaps regain the form of his early career, when it appeared that he was emerging as one of the league's top young cornerbacks, and then enter the unrestricted free agent market next spring.

Tampa Bay officials have been seeking to add a veteran corner and had worked the phones over the last few days in trade discussions with other clubs. But it's believed the Bucs never came close to making a deal for a cornerback and, when Buchanon became available Monday evening, they focused on him.

Bucs starting cornerback Brian Kelly, who the team had been shopping in casual trade talks, has missed three games with "turf toe." And nickel corner Juran Bolden, despite not missing any games, played hurt through the first month of the season.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Len Pasquarelli was used in this report.

This is how a smart team does business in the NFL. They traded a second rounder for a guy that should make a huge impact for them. Meanwhile we traded a 3rd rounder for a guy that has only carried the ball in one game this season.

Hog

Postby HailSkins94 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:52 pm

Booger can definately plug the run
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

piggie

Postby CPallDAY08 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:16 pm

Yeah that was a great move. Mcfarland is really good.

####

Postby JPM36 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:02 pm

I like the move from the Bucs standpoint as well.

They aren't going anywhere this season and now they add a 2nd round pick to the mix for next year.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:34 pm

Dang. Sunday just got a lot harder.

###

Postby redskindave » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:20 pm

I wish they would have waited till next week to get him.
Hail To The Redskins!
Forty men together can't lose
Blaine Ohio home of Ohios biggest Redskin fan
Every man has to die, Not every man really lives

Postby sappersis » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:46 pm

this just shows you how much viewponts can differ. As much as i appriciate our picking up some putty, i think this was a bad choice for the Colts.
"when a girl goes bad, men go right after her"

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:03 pm

sappersis wrote:this just shows you how much viewponts can differ. As much as i appriciate our picking up some putty, i think this was a bad choice for the Colts.

Why?

Postby sappersis » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:36 pm

I dont believe we should have used our 2nd round pick for him perhaps a 3/4 or some other combination, but IMO our 2nd round picks have been some of our luckier moves. I see a lot of holes opening up in our game and i believe we might have made it a bit more difficult to fix in the future. Yes Booger will be a great asset to our team. It would be wicked if we could keep Simon next year and have both on our D line (though i dont see that happening) You wont see me complain to have him in the blue/white uniform i would have just prefered a different deal to have made that happen.
"when a girl goes bad, men go right after her"

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:34 am

sappersis wrote:I dont believe we should have used our 2nd round pick for him perhaps a 3/4 or some other combination, but IMO our 2nd round picks have been some of our luckier moves. I see a lot of holes opening up in our game and i believe we might have made it a bit more difficult to fix in the future. Yes Booger will be a great asset to our team. It would be wicked if we could keep Simon next year and have both on our D line (though i dont see that happening) You wont see me complain to have him in the blue/white uniform i would have just prefered a different deal to have made that happen.

I disagree with you! If you can't stop the run you can't win in the playoffs. How much longer do you want to wait before you can go to a championship game? If you don't make this deal you will be waiting at least one more year. You can fill those holes you're talking about via free agency too. Right now, you needed to make this move or its over for you. Thats just my opinion.
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006