Skins vs Colts post game discussion thread - PG

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:49 pm

I think it's so funny that the PG thread is two pages long, and the uncensored thread is like 10 pages long.

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of Brunell hate going on... he completed 73% of his passes, was not intercepted and threw two touchdowns. In addition he threw to 8 different recievers. He had one hell of a game.

Even our running backs kept the chains moving. No one person got a lot of yards, but we averaged 4.8 yards per carry as a team for 114 total yards.

The problem was the D... and the kicking by Novak. Two misses in a game is unacceptable.

The D failed to sack Peyton once, we got no interceptions, we let them drive the ball down our throats...

We even let Addai rush for like 8 yards every time he touched the freaking ball.

The defense has been an absolute disgrace this season. What has Gregg Williams done differently anyway? He has darn good personell. Is it the ends? the tackles? the safties? the corners? the backers?

I don't see an obvious hole. What is going on with our team??
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:03 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Anyway, there seems to be a lot of Brunell hate going on... he completed 73% of his passes, was not intercepted and threw two touchdowns. In addition he threw to 8 different recievers. He had one hell of a game.

ROTFALMAO
Oh, were you being serious? :shock:

P. Manning - 25/35, 342 yds., 4 TDs, 0 INTs 9.8 yds/pass
Mr. Dink n Dunk - 27/37, 211 yrds., 2 TDs, 0 INTs 5.4 yds/pass

How does Peyton complete 2 LESS passes and get 131 MORE yards, and 2 MORE TDs?!? It doesn't take much skill to throw a 5 yard pass in the flat to a running back. Nor does it win you many games.
Last edited by Mursilis on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:04 pm

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of Brunell hate going on... he completed 73% of his passes, was not intercepted and threw two touchdowns. In addition he threw to 8 different recievers. He had one hell of a game.

Numbers only tell half of the story. Most of his throws, as usual, were dump offs. At no point did the Colts have to worry about us stretching the field. As usualy he didn't look deep and settled for dumping the ball off. The most frustrating of all was when he kept throwing 2 or 3 yard passes on 3rd and long. An while those numbers are nice, 13 of those completions, 106 yards, and 1 td all came in the 4th quarter (garbage time) after the outcome of the game was no longer in doubt. Until that last drive he led us to 7 points against one of the leagues worst defenses.

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:05 pm

Mr. Dink n Dunk - 27/37, 211 yrds., 2 TDs, 0 INTs 5.4 yds/pass[

How does Peyton complete 2 LESS passes and get 131 MORE yards, and 2 MORE TDs?!? It doesn't take much skill to throw a 5 yard pass in the flat to a running back. Nor does it win you many games.

The numbers don't lie.

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:08 pm

SkinzCanes wrote:
Mr. Dink n Dunk - 27/37, 211 yrds., 2 TDs, 0 INTs 5.4 yds/pass[

The numbers don't lie.

And I wrote the same analysis after the Vikings game, when Brad Johnson completed less passes but for more yards than Brunell. Brunell is throwing far too many short passes, which aren't moving this offense, aren't getting us points, aren't stretching the field, aren't opening up the running game, and aren't going to result in the playoffs.

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:13 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:I think it's so funny that the PG thread is two pages long, and the uncensored thread is like 10 pages long.

Even our running backs kept the chains moving. No one person got a lot of yards, but we averaged 4.8 yards per carry as a team for 114 total yards.

The problem was the D... and the kicking by Novak. Two misses in a game is unacceptable.

The D failed to sack Peyton once, we got no interceptions, we let them drive the ball down our throats...

We even let Addai rush for like 8 yards every time he touched the freaking ball.

The defense has been an absolute disgrace this season. What has Gregg Williams done differently anyway? He has darn good personell. Is it the ends? the tackles? the safties? the corners? the backers?

I don't see an obvious hole. What is going on with our team??

Don't be fooled by the stats. 10 of his 27 completions and 117 of his 226 yards (plus the TD) were on the last drive, against a prevent defense. I'm not claiming that the loss falls solely on MB or the offense, because the defense did stink it up in the second half, but I can't see how anyone can argue that MB had a 'hell of a game' while effectively going 17 of 26 for 109 yards and a TD and leading the to offense to a paltry 7 points when it mattered.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:

You're exactly right - it's definitely just the ends, tackles, backers, safeties and corners. We seem to be pretty solid everywhere else on defence.

Wait a minute... :-k
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:18 pm

joebagadonuts wrote:
Don't be fooled by the stats. 10 of his 27 completions and 117 of his 226 yards (plus the TD) were on the last drive, against a prevent defense.

117 yards in one drive? :shock: Where did the drive start - in the car park? :wink:

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:37 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:joebagadonuts wrote:
Don't be fooled by the stats. 10 of his 27 completions and 117 of his 226 yards (plus the TD) were on the last drive, against a prevent defense.

117 yards in one drive? :shock: Where did the drive start - in the car park? :wink:

Sorry, it's actually only 106 yards on the last drive. Two holding calls and a negative gain by Betts helped pad MBs stats.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:44 pm

joebagadonuts wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:joebagadonuts wrote:

Sorry, it's actually only 106 yards on the last drive. Two holding calls and a negative gain by Betts helped pad MBs stats.

Well, that's still very impressive. :)

Mmmm...donuts

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:54 pm

Just think - a couple more holding calls, and MB could have had himself a 300 yard day!

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:49 am

In the NFC, only the Packers, Lions, and 49ers are giving up more points that our D

Compared to 2004 (16.6) we are averaging 24.4 points given up per game. In 2005 it was 18.3.

We are averaging 20.0 per game on offense...2 points off last season, and we are getting NO HELP from the defense in turnovers and short fields to work with, otherwise those numbers would be better. No picks, not many three and outs from our D giving us reasonable field position. This is a big key to the overall success of an offense.

Brunell is actually having a decent year so far statistically, 5th in the NFC with a 90.4 rating just behind Brees and Eli Manning.

But stats don't tell the whole story, and Brunell does tend to be off and on...but that may also have a lot to do with the O-line, which by the way has not been exactly star stuck so far this season. Portis is ranked 14th among RB's in the NFC.....so should we bench Portis too?

CLEARLY, our biggest problem here is DEFENSE....every area....D-line, LB's and secondary have all played poorly. Next would be the play of our O-line, the engine of any offense. If you can't run the ball, and you can't pass protect, you aren't going to be successful. Period. Why is this so hard for some to understand.

Mmmm...donuts

Postby joebagadonuts » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:46 am

RayNAustin wrote:In the NFC, only the Packers, Lions, and 49ers are giving up more points that our D

Compared to 2004 (16.6) we are averaging 24.4 points given up per game. In 2005 it was 18.3.

We are averaging 20.0 per game on offense...2 points off last season, and we are getting NO HELP from the defense in turnovers and short fields to work with, otherwise those numbers would be better. No picks, not many three and outs from our D giving us reasonable field position. This is a big key to the overall success of an offense.

Everything you say is true, but it works both ways. The defense might create more turnovers and give better field position if the offense would produce fewer three-and-outs. Not only is energy-draining, but confidence-draining to have to go back out there when you just sat down. One might say that the defense is getting NO HELP from the offense. I'd be interested to see where the offense falls statistically in the league for three-and-outs and total plays.

Like most, I've been VERY disappointed in the defense this year, but I think the poor play is much more glaring because we're not scoring points. The last couple of years, when the defense would play well, the offense would play not very well, and we'd win, we'd be happy and say 'Boy, the offense needs to step it up'. Now that the defense is not playing well, they get all the focus because they're not winning the game for us. It seems unfair to place most of the blame on them, simply because they're not carrying us like they used to.

Right now, the whole team isn't playing well. If the defense plays lights out against the Colts, so we still win? Maybe, maybe not. BOTH sides of the ball need to improve if we want to play consistently good ball.

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006