Can anyone justify the choice to kick that FG?

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005

Can anyone justify the choice to kick that FG?

Postby dcoles11 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:30 am

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I used the search function and couldn't find anything.

Last week vs the Colts we were down 33-14, there was 10 minutes left in the game. I know it was 4th and 5, it was a 35 yard FG attempt so we were on the 18 yard line.

Gibbs sends out the FG unit. I don't know what you guy's reaction was, but I laughed (more of a laughing to keep from crying) when I saw it.

I realize that a FG would put us within 2 scores if we went for and maybe both 2 point conversions, but I think when you are down by 19 that late in the game you need TD's before you should even start to worry about anything else.

I think this decision was more conservatice than the one made vs the Giants. We were down by 13, still a whole quarter to go. I didn't like the choice to go for a FG but if I was homer I could defend it more easily than I could the situation in the Colts game.

I don't think it made much a difference, the Colts totally out classed us in the 2nd half and we were going to lose anyway, but I just would have liked to see a more aggressive apporoach.

HOF coach or not, I just don't think you can really justify that decision. But if you'd like to try lets discuss
We won a Super Bowl with Jay Schroeder (Doug Williams) and Mark Rypien, why not with Ramsey or Brunell =)

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:23 am

I don't like the decision either. Its not just that we tried to kick a feild goal its that it took a 6 minute long drive and thats the best we could muster.

|

Postby sch1977 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:09 am

I am just wondering if we will ever get a quality kicker :cry:
Taylor and Landry will take no Prisoners!! - I just can't bring myself to delete it!

~~~~~~

Re: Can anyone justify the choice to kick that FG?

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:50 pm

dcoles11 wrote:Last week vs the Colts we were down 33-14, there was 10 minutes left in the game. I know it was 4th and 5, it was a 35 yard FG attempt so we were on the 18 yard line.
It's Sunday. I already had a few beers while tailgating at home. And you get me to try a math class? :hmm:

Let see... 14 + 6 +2 = 22

22 + 6 +2 = 30

30 + 3 = 33 !!! :idea:

We did get the one TD plus a 2 point conversion. We failed the FG and we ran out of time before coming anywhere near to a 2nd TD. Got it?

I hope so because I am not going to touch any further arithmetic before Monday. :wink:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:18 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
dcoles11 wrote:Last week vs the Colts we were down 33-14, there was 10 minutes left in the game. I know it was 4th and 5, it was a 35 yard FG attempt so we were on the 18 yard line.
It's Sunday. I already had a few beers while tailgating at home. And you get me to try a math class? :hmm:

22 + 6 +2 = 30

We did get the one TD plus a 2 point conversion. We failed the FG and we ran out of time before coming anywhere near to a 2nd TD. Got it?

I hope so because I am not going to touch any further arithmetic before Monday. :wink:

i assumed this was what they were attempting as well.

however...
counting on getting TWO more touchdowns AND successfully converting BOTH 2-point conversions, all while stopping the colts from scoring ANY more points, was utterly ridiculous.

not the decision of a winning coach.

Postby dcoles11 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:40 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:

22 + 6 +2 = 30

When you're down by 19 points with 10 minutes left in the game the idea of kicking a FG in the Red Zone shouldn't even be an option.

19 is too many points and 10 minutes isn't enough time to be thinking about combinations of 2 point coversions and TD's when you've only scored 1 on offense all day anway (the other on the punt return).
We won a Super Bowl with Jay Schroeder (Doug Williams) and Mark Rypien, why not with Ramsey or Brunell =)

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:24 am

Gibbs was going for a meaningless 3 to signal uncle and demotivate the opposition. Then, he planned to try to run out the clock with running plays to keep the losing score from being so embarassing.

Gibbs has been playing just to avoid being humiliated for some time now.

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:25 am

dcoles11 wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:

22 + 6 +2 = 30

When you're down by 19 points with 10 minutes left in the game the idea of kicking a FG in the Red Zone shouldn't even be an option.

19 is too many points and 10 minutes isn't enough time to be thinking about combinations of 2 point coversions and TD's when you've only scored 1 on offense all day anway (the other on the punt return).

Although, shouldn't that be an argument AGAINST going for it on 4th and 5? If the offense has been inept all day, what chance to they have of converting on 4th and 5? In Gibbs' mind, less chance than we have of making the FG, then scoring twice with two conversions. Sad.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:00 pm

joebagadonuts wrote:
dcoles11 wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:

22 + 6 +2 = 30

Although, shouldn't that be an argument AGAINST going for it on 4th and 5? If the offense has been inept all day, what chance to they have of converting on 4th and 5? In Gibbs' mind, less chance than we have of making the FG, then scoring twice with two conversions. Sad.

Yeah its sad and this is an example of bad playcalling. Not only that but they run a terrible 2 min drill. You would think the coaching staff would have faith in its players and always think they have a chance to win the game.

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006