life no longer worth living

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Hog

life no longer worth living

Postby die cowboys die » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:36 pm

Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post wrote:Brunell says he will practice Wednesday and is good to go for the Cowboys. Campbell split snaps with Collins today and had the bulk of the work last week. But Gibbs says the rotation on Sunday will be the same - Brunell 1, Collins as the backup and Jason as the No. 3.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskins ... l#comments

mursilis

Re: life no longer worth living

Postby Mursilis » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:39 pm

die cowboys die wrote:
Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post wrote:Brunell says he will practice Wednesday and is good to go for the Cowboys. Campbell split snaps with Collins today and had the bulk of the work last week. But Gibbs says the rotation on Sunday will be the same - Brunell 1, Collins as the backup and Jason as the No. 3.

And the boos will fall like the rain . . .

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:42 pm

Mursilis wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:

:lol:
ohhhh yeah i forgot! that's the only thing getting me through this week (footballwise)... should be a lot of fun to see.

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:06 am

i'm not sure what La Canfora is referring to... in the press conference today, gibbs did NOT specifically say that the rotation on sunday would be brunell/collins/campbell. he just reiterated the system they have with the QBs that's been established all year (brunell is the starter, collins the in-game backup and campbell the backup if he has a week to get ready).

ergo, there is still hope. and gibbs still has a chance at redemption.
he even said something to the effect of "we'll see if he can practice wednesday" about MB04.

so god-willing, gibbs is taking the route many predicted earlier in the year-- that when the QB switch goes down, gibbs will pretend it's because of an "injury", so MB04 can save face.

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:24 am

I posted this in another thread, but I guess it belongs here...

I'm really surprised Joe isn't activating Campbell to the #2 spot this week... I thought with the bye and JC getting reps in practice, this was an opportunity to show some confidence in him... At 5-2, if something happens to Brunell or we start getting beat bad, what do we really gain or learn by inserting TC? After last season didn't we hear that JC was going to get playing time and a substantial look this season? Really makes me wonder what their opinion of JC's abilities are...

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:38 am

I'm just intrigued that dcd finds life to be 'no longer worth living.'

There's really only one solution for that type of depression. :?

... oh and I'm shocked that something that the Washington Post reports on might be non factual. :roll:

I think it's hilarious that some of you piss and moan about CNNSI and ESPN but still flock to WP like it's gospel.

ROTFALMAO
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:34 am

die cowboys die wrote:
Mursilis wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:

ohhhh yeah i forgot! that's the only thing getting me through this week (footballwise)... should be a lot of fun to see.

So, are you saying that you want the fans to boo the team.....and you will take joy in this?.....on Dallas Week? Are you sure you're a skins fan and not and "other?"

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:59 am

BossHog wrote:
... oh and I'm shocked that something that the Washington Post reports on might be non factual. :roll:

I think it's hilarious that some of you piss and moan about CNNSI and ESPN but still flock to WP like it's gospel.

ROTFALMAO

when the writer rambles on giving his views, that's one thing, but when he repeatedly says, "Gibbs said..." then I'm thinking it's pretty close to what Gibbs said or he wouldn't have a job with the WP for too long... not that it would be unique for a reporter to misinterpret what was said...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00962.html

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:41 pm

chaddukes wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:
Mursilis wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:

So, are you saying that you want the fans to boo the team.....and you will take joy in this?.....on Dallas Week? Are you sure you're a skins fan and not and "other?"

have fun with your pissing contest... watch out for shifts in the wind.

|

Postby sch1977 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:21 pm

die cowboys die wrote:
chaddukes wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:
Mursilis wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:

have fun with your pissing contest... watch out for shifts in the wind.

Why are you so pessimistic? Seriously, are you a skins fan? Can you not cheer for your team when they're down? We are all frustrated that the skins keep underacheiving, but you take it to a new level. Go ahead and jump off the skins bus if you like, but please jump out in front so we can run over you!
Taylor and Landry will take no Prisoners!! - I just can't bring myself to delete it!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:19 pm

die cowboys die wrote:have fun with your pissing contest... watch out for shifts in the wind.

Call it a pissing contest if you want. How are we supposed to react when a fellow fan effectively flips the bird to our coach--the only coach to bring Washington a Lombardi trophy--and repeatedly calls him out of his mind / insane, someone who finds a way to make a sarcastic joke in every thread but never contributes any substance in those same posts, calls on all Skins fans to boo our team the entire time the offense is on the field, and says that the only thing keeping him alive this week is the prospect of booing the Skins yet again.

Honeslty dcd, unless you would have some kind of beef with me, I'm sure I would get along with you well were we to meet, but this kind of posting on a message board is rather perplexing to a nation of Skins fans.

Meanwhile you have a group of fans that decide to stand by the team and cheer for them, not cuss out the coach, and hope for the best. What possible "shift in the wind" could make that behavior look anything less than admirable?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:33 pm

well it's official:

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=1447

:cry:

as for the pissing contest--
what is not admirable is when some people continually assail the merit of others' "fanhood" just because they have different ways of expressing it. not all of the "Gibbs Gestapo" are guilty of this, but it is quite pervasive nonetheless. this "i'm a better fan than you" nonsense is for children. regardless of whether you disagree with my views on the team, please stop and consider this.

haven't you all ever noticed that the so-called "negative" fans you constantly disparage have been nearly universally more mature on this issue? you may disagree or even hate everything else they say, but i can recall scant few incidents where someone accuses someone of "being a bad fan" because they somehow stand behind gibbs despite his support of brunell. and trust me- in our minds, anyone who gives any defense of this is absolutely complicit in the destruction of the team. yet we understand, you want to have hope, you want to believe gibbs is still what he was 20 years ago. go ahead. i hope he will be. i believe that you are hopelessly deluded, but i hope i am wrong. i won't lambast you for wanting to believe that.

so why must you accost us when we voice our opinions/feelings about the team? to me, being accused of not being a redskins fan IS a "personal attack". :idea:

finally, whenever any of you accuse me of being someone who
Irn-Bru wrote:...never contributes any substance...

...you only serve to broadcast your own ignorance. i see this cheap excuse tossed around often as a way to escape the unassailable case against brunell (and consequently, gibbs' indefensible support of him) that has been compiled on this board. not every post i make is some kind of substantial analysis of the situation-- that has all been handled at this point, the case was closed long ago. so yes, most of my posts at this point are about my current emotions about the situation- but make no mistake, those emotions are the result OF the facts, the substance, that i (and others) wasted countless hours establishing.

now, let's see what out-of-context quotations people want to extract from this and beat me down with...

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:48 am

die cowboys die wrote:now, let's see what out-of-context quotations people want to extract from this and beat me down with...

It's ironic that you say that, because the only quote that you pulled out of my post. . .

dcd wrote:

...you only serve to broadcast your own ignorance. i see this cheap excuse tossed around often as a way to escape the unassailable case against brunell (and consequently, gibbs' indefensible support of him) that has been compiled on this board. not every post i make is some kind of substantial analysis of the situation-- that has all been handled at this point, the case was closed long ago. so yes, most of my posts at this point are about my current emotions about the situation- but make no mistake, those emotions are the result OF the facts, the substance, that i (and others) wasted countless hours establishing.

. . .did exactly that. What I said (and was intentional in saying) was that you seemed to be "someone who finds a way to make a sarcastic joke in every thread but never contributes any substance in those same posts." (Notice how the bold words completely change the context / meaning).

Show me a single sarcastic hit-and-run post that contributed anything to a thread other than turning the attention back to your own hatred for Brunell. The best you can say about them is that they are funny (if you like predictable, broken-record one liners. . .but doesn't that wear out even after 11+ weeks?), and the worst you can say about their intensity/frequency is the kind of thing that THN members are starting to speculate about.

You've got other posts where you actually bring out substantial arguments, but the vast majority of references to Brunell deal with some combination of his arm strength, choice in receivers, age, faith, or Gibbs' opinion about one of those things. It doesn't matter how a thread starts or what the topic ought to be, THN members are likely to see the old obligatory, fill-in-the-blank potshots.

dcd wrote:as for the pissing contest--
what is not admirable is when some people continually assail the merit of others' "fanhood" just because they have different ways of expressing it. not all of the "Gibbs Gestapo" are guilty of this, but it is quite pervasive nonetheless. this "i'm a better fan than you" nonsense is for children. regardless of whether you disagree with my views on the team, please stop and consider this.

I'm fairly confident that I've never questioned the "fanhood" of a fellow THN member. However, I'm going to call out behavior that seems inappropriate. It's the difference between an action and a person. This is the same principle that, on THN, is what seperates attacking a post as opposed to a poster.

Both sides of any debate over ettiquette do this--it's the reason why we are debating in the fist place! Your accusations that fans have blind or misguided hope are also judgements on their expression as fans; your critique of their anger at fans who boo are--ironically enough--also judgements of fan behavior. (And, to get confusing for a moment, my critique of your critique of my critique of your posts are judgements, as would be a critique of yours against my critique of your critique of my critique of your posts. . .)

Call "sanctuary" in your fandom if you want, but it's a two-way street. You can be a fan any way that you want, but I'm going to scratch my head when your "expression" of love for the team includes calling for the firing of Joe Gibbs, calling him insane, saying that he's out of touch with reality, saying that the prospect of booing this team is what keeps you going, that fans should boo the Skins offense whenever it's on the field, that Mark Brunell is trying to wreck our season, calling for physical harm to come to Mark Brunell, and so on. (Again, how could you expect a different reaction?)

Show me where I'm saying that you, the person, aren't a fan, and then we'll have something to talk about. . .otherwise you're a pot calling the kettle black.

haven't you all ever noticed that the so-called "negative" fans you constantly disparage have been nearly universally more mature on this issue? you may disagree or even hate everything else they say, but i can recall scant few incidents where someone accuses someone of "being a bad fan" because they somehow stand behind gibbs despite his support of brunell. and trust me- in our minds, anyone who gives any defense of this is absolutely complicit in the destruction of the team. yet we understand, you want to have hope, you want to believe gibbs is still what he was 20 years ago. go ahead. i hope he will be. i believe that you are hopelessly deluded, but i hope i am wrong. i won't lambast you for wanting to believe that.

Honestly I haven't noticed what you seem to be observing. I think that fans on both sides of the debate get a bit ridiculous at times. Your definition of "maturity" probably differs from mine, though. . .

dcd wrote:so why must you accost us when we voice our opinions/feelings about the team? to me, being accused of not being a redskins fan IS a "personal attack". :idea:

Let's suppose that I got on the board and starting posting things like "I hope that the Skins lose this week," or "I'm really pulling for a terrible performance by our team (or player x)," or "I love it when the Skins lose," or "I can't wait to rub it in Gibbs face that his team sucks," or some other nonsense. . . .but that at the same time I also call myself a Skins fan.

That's a hypothetical situation, but sadly the kinds of things that I've seen on the board are not far from what I just wrote above. Again, I'm fairly confident that I've never accused someone of lying about being a fan; however, I can see where members come from when they point out that if it looks and smells like anti-Skins garbage, there's good reason to think that it is.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Postby JPFair » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:18 am

die cowboys die wrote:well it's official:

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=1447

:cry:

as for the pissing contest--

so why must you accost us when we voice our opinions/feelings about the team? to me, being accused of not being a redskins fan IS a "personal attack". :idea:

finally, whenever any of you accuse me of being someone who

now, let's see what out-of-context quotations people want to extract from this and beat me down with...

You make it seem like this "Gibbs Gestapo" are saying that they're better fans than others, when this simply isn't the case. In reality, all they're doing is pointing out the obvious: That you're not a fan period, much less a good or bad one.

This "Gibbs Gestapo" that you refer to are simply fans that are supporting their team AND their coach. You, sadly, don't do that. Therefore, there's no veracity in the claim you make about one side making it seem like they're better than the other. The difference between the "Gibbs Gestapo" that you refer to, and you, is quite simple. They're Redskins fans, and you're not.

You're not a Redskins fan!
Sit back and watch the Redskins.

SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

Postby JPFair » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:21 am

The one GOOD thing that I noticed about your post is that you mention that your life is no longer worth living. I'm glad you finally realized something that the rest of us have known for quite some time.

You really do need to learn how to be a fan, and then after you learn how to be a fan, you can decide on what team you want to be a fan of. If you need any help on learning how to be a fan, Redskins or otherwise, I'm sure there are a lot of posters here who are willing to put the time and energy it'll take to make you one.
Sit back and watch the Redskins.

SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006