Post Dallas Mark Brunell Thread

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Hog

Post Dallas Mark Brunell Thread

Postby redskingush » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:33 am

Well, What did we think?

I don't think he won this game for us, I think when the coaching staff started getting conservative in the 2nd and 3rd it affected his play. Im starting to maybe think hes not that bad, its just the play calling.

The Skins owned the first quarter and my second question is why does Joe have such a hard time burring teams. The intensity was high, guys were flying all over the field, why dont they keep the offensive pressure on these teams, keep play action, downfield, run,pass, keep the defense on their heels, sometimes it looks like the D knows whats coming, just wondering if im alone on this?
GO SKINS GO!!

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:37 am

The only thing that matters is that MB probably played not poorly enough to lose his job, in Joe Gibbs' eyes. He didn't lose the game for us (though it looked like he was trying at times, with those almost-interceptions), but, once again, he couldn't win it for us. This week, the D and ST stepped up (ST more than the D) and won the game.

MB will start next week, no doubt.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

^^

Postby hatsOFF2gibbs » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:43 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"I was on the sideline and guys were talking about the score, and then it hit me -- we won by 21. I came in the locker room and I yelled it out, and immediately I just kind of broke down in tears. Because I miss Sean, you know."

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:53 am

Anyone want to give me a recap? I didn't see one minute of the game yesterday due to 3(!) youth soccer games. #-o All I heard (car radio) was the end! :D :D So how did Brunell look?

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:21 am

Mursilis wrote:Anyone want to give me a recap? I didn't see one minute of the game yesterday due to 3(!) youth soccer games. #-o All I heard (car radio) was the end! :D :D So how did Brunell look?

Here's the summary:

- The D allowed another QB look like a pro-bowler. At least they were bend not break though and didn't give up a ton of points allowing the O to have a chance.

- Brunell was HORRIBLE. The receivers even w/o Moss were EXCELLENT. BL had some nice catches. Unfortunately the best, a stolen interception on a badly underthrown Brunell ball for 35 yards was called back on a dubious holding call. Thrash caught a couple and Cooley was a flash back to last year.

Of course I'll take a win over Dallas any way we get it. In this case, the bizarre finish is all the more satisfying because it's that much more of a dagger in Cowboy hearts. The downside is the win and the receivers saving Brunell's poor play will keep Brunell in the game. He has just lost it.

The one "positive" on Brunell was he did throw downfield for a change, not just dump offs and into the seats. That gave the receivers at least a chance to make plays and they did make some even though his passes were so innacurate.

- Duckett sat, including the first drive with 4 shots from inside the 5 in a situation we supposedly gave up a 3 for.

- Carter is improving, but not where we wanted him to be.

- AA is not.

- Portis is a great player, but something doesn't seem right. It may not be his fault, the blocking? Teams can still focus on him and dare Brunell to beat them? He did have one nice touchdown run.

That was the way I saw it.

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:27 am

Mursilis wrote:Anyone want to give me a recap? I didn't see one minute of the game yesterday due to 3(!) youth soccer games. #-o All I heard (car radio) was the end! :D :D So how did Brunell look?

That sucks, but it will be on NFL Replay this Wednesday at 8:00PM. So at least you'll get to see it!
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:51 am

I sit in sec. 205 and saw a game that the finish will define for a long time in this rivalry.

I thought the Special Teams play was very good even without the last 19 seconds.

I thought the offense was okay but our line was outplayed by their very good run D. I thought Brunell was okay BUT the play calling left a lot to be desired. We did keep giving Portis the ball but he rarely had decent blocking, he is special though and gets yards where most would not. His TD was a great call and did involve a block on the outside but overall his running between the tackles was defended well and IMO our line we did not give him many opportunities. Our passing game will be better when Portis is more effective - the QB is not the problem!!! We need to be more effective on oue play calling and our tecniques.

Our defense was spotty - they had moments of brilliance (Marshall and Washington had 2 really great plays) BUT allowing the pukes to be 10 of 16 on 3rd down especially on 3rd and over 15 is terrible.

This win will be remembered for its finish but it was not a bad game and it was not good either. Our Special Teams played well.
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby roybus14 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:01 am

I am very happy for yesterday's win but this does not do well for us at QB because it's like Brunell is getting a stay of execution. We lose yesterday and he's done. But we won so he keeps his job for now.

According to SportsTalk radio, Troy Aikman was quoted as saying on the Fox broadcast, that he was on the field during pre-game and he overheard MB and an old Jags teammate that plays for the Cowpukes telling each other how much they needed this win and MB was overheard saying that we (Redskins) have to win this game so that I can stay on the field. How true that is, I don't know but there may be some merit to it because Aikman, who is pretty good and respect on Fox, took the time to report live on t.v.
Sean Taylor - 1983-2007 R.I.P.... Forever A Skin.....

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:29 am

Redskins Rule wrote:

That sucks, but it will be on NFL Replay this Wednesday at 8:00PM. So at least you'll get to see it!

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:51 am

Brunell made a couple of really boneheaded throws that fortunately didn't end up as interceptions. On the other hand, he had a lot of zip on his good passes and still does well when he is playing relaxed. Randle El has a better long ball, though. :)

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:43 am

Cooley did look pretty good and that was a spectacular catch in the endzone, but the drop he had was painful on a nice pass from Brunell, and the whiff he had on Roy Williams at the goal line stopped Betts from walking in the endzone...

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:46 am

cvillehog wrote:Brunell made a couple of really boneheaded throws that fortunately didn't end up as interceptions. On the other hand, he had a lot of zip on his good passes and still does well when he is playing relaxed. Randle El has a better long ball, though. :)

His intermediate passes were fine but he underthrew quite a bit. Thank goodness Lloyd has great body control and Dallas can't catch.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

piglet

Postby ClintonHill » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:59 am

Brunell was the same old Brunell. He does nothing spectacular and basically all you can say about him is that he doesn't make catastrophic mistakes. Although he was this <> close to making one down around the goal line. It was 3rd and 2, he moved around in the pocket then easily had the open space to scramble and slide for the first down. Instead he stays behind the line, almost gets sacked, then threw what should have been an endzone INT except B.Lloyd made an incredible play to bat the ball away from the defender.

Brunell did have a couple of downfield throws, which is a couple more than he's had all season. However I simply do not see Brunell doing anything that a young QB like JC couldn't do. It seems we're already running a simplified offense so our QB doesn't make any mistakes. Why are we wasting time with Brunell in there?

Winning feels great.
Watching Brunell hurts.

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:33 pm

ClintonHill wrote:Winning feels great.
Watching Brunell hurts.

Heh heh. Great quote. I may have to use it as my sig (with your permission, of course).
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:38 pm

joebagadonuts wrote:
ClintonHill wrote:Winning feels great.
Watching Brunell hurts.

Heh heh. Great quote. I may have to use it as my sig (with your permission, of course).

Beaten. :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006