Post game discussion

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:04 pm

Perhaps the reason the Redskins are not trying to go down field is that Gibbs keeps Brunell in and he cannot go down field very often. If that is the case, then Saunders has no choice but to do the dink-n-dunks.

But today was not all about Brunell. The defense missed more tackles than kids playing Pop Warner. The offense just didn't function at all. Oh, it moved up and down the field but couldn't score.

I seem to remember a story about Gibbs wife saying that if he got back into coaching, he could damage his reputation. From my point of view, it is damaged and he did it to himself by his insistance on Brunell and the make-over of the team every year. Think about it, every year we have had major changes in personnel. Last years 5 in a row was inspired football but in the off season, the guys that stepped up went elsewhere, some by choice, some not.

I do believe that the game has passed Gibbs by and he cannot be an effective NFL head coach.

Postby filemakerdude » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:12 pm

I'm so frustrated I had to search for a good message board to vent on. This looks great...

A lot of good post-game comments...here's my take:

Offense: The running game looked good. It's too bad we stalled at their 35 the first three drives. Betts looked great. Duckett looked good. The passing game continues to look inept, as has been stated many times.

Thought: What if the game plan continues to be limited BECAUSE of Brunell? I'm with you - we need to see what Campbell can do. He can't do any worse than Brunell. Granted, I truly don't think today's loss is his fault. But something on the offense needs to change. He's made a lot of bad decisions this year - and that's the opposite of why he's in there. Gibbs likes his veterans because they supposedly DON'T make mistakes.

Look at the Dallas game. Exciting victory. FedEx was rocking. But it was a lucky victory. Novak has no confidence. Brunell made a lot of bad decisions. Third and 2 and he's running parallel to the line of scrimmage with nobody near him. Instead of running for the first down he tries forcing a pass downfield. Just dumb. Not a veteran play. There have been many like that. Cooley's TD. He forced that in there when he had a man wide open underneath, about halfway to the end zone. I'm glad it worked out, but he constantly seems to force things like that.

Next: Our kicker. We need a real one. Novak just hasn't been kicking the ball well.

Bigger: Our defense. I thought they played fairly well, except for the usual, very important bug. The big play. We continue to give up the big play. Our secondary is HORRIBLE. We don't get sacks, we don't get turnovers. Speaking of turnovers, can anybody get an interception??? The number of times Marcus Washington has dropped a pick that hits him in the hands. Turnovers are HUGE momentum swings. He picks of McNabb early and we might have a completely different complexion on the game!!

That's all for now. I know I've babbled a lot for my first post, but I'm frustrated.

Hog

Postby Snout » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:45 pm

SlkyCaramel wrote:Did anybody watch Post Game Live? Czaban and B.Mitchell were really getting on the Redskins and Gibbs (it was all well deserved), and when Mark Brunell was interviewed. Czaban asked him two excellent questions (verbatim):

1. Do you think that you should be the Redskins quarterback in 2007?

2. If it becomes a situation where the Redskins are out of the playoff race completely, will you go to the coach and say 'Hey, you know, the season is basically over, you should play another qb'

I don't know if anyone saw it, but Mark Brunell got very defensive (well lets just be honest, I think he was pissed) but the situation the Redskins are in right now is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree that Brunell should have been sent packing a long time ago. But this sort of question is out of place. What sort of mentality do you want your quarterback to have? For my money, I want a quarterback who is always confident, always wants to be in the game, never ready to quit, always ready to come back and try again. If the guy is delusional and can't see reality for what it is, then it is the coach's role to make a change.

piglet

Postby Inspired » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:12 pm

I agree with Snout regarding the post game interview. You can't expect Brunell to say "yep, it's time for Campbell, I suck". It is the coach's job to realize when your guy isn't cutting it and pull the trigger on making a change. That question should have been aimed squarely at Joe Gibbs. He is the only person who can answer for why we haven't seen Jason Campbell to this point and if/when we will see him in the near future.

swine

Postby SlkyCaramel » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:59 pm

FYI: The show comes on again at 1:30 a.m. on Comcast (Channel 11 everywhere I believe)

piglet

Postby 0421kidwell » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:15 pm

it's over we can finally stick a fork in this sorry team!

Brunell? enough is enough!! can cambell finally play!!

Do you guys know what is really sad the skins are 2 gms back of the wld card!!!

without portis no chance in hell!!!

the skins will finish 6-10!!

I love gibbs but, maybe this isn't working?

williams and saunders need to go!

cowher is out there?

bye bye to
1. brunell
2. archuletta
3. rogers
4. holdman
5. patten
6. james trash
7. duckett
8. rumph
9. kenny wright
todd collins
i can talk about this anymore i am really upset about this team!!!

Oh well go terps!!! i said they could to a bcs game check out my lounge thread!!
HAIL TO THE BIG RED ONE!! 1ST INF DIV
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!
GO TERPS!!
GO CELTICS!!

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND VETERANS!!!

piglet

Postby 0421kidwell » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:17 pm

WHY are we this bad??? the packers and my favorite qb favre are doing great with half of the talent and the giants are beat up and the eagels are doing so much with so little!!!!

these teams build a team the right way, with draft picks and young guys, maybe the skins should try it out for a change!!
HAIL TO THE BIG RED ONE!! 1ST INF DIV
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!
GO TERPS!!
GO CELTICS!!

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND VETERANS!!!

Postby filemakerdude » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:30 pm

0421kidwell wrote:WHY are we this bad??? the packers and my favorite qb favre are doing great with half of the talent and the giants are beat up and the eagels are doing so much with so little!!!!

these teams build a team the right way, with draft picks and young guys, maybe the skins should try it out for a change!!

And much of the time, they look good doing it. That's another thing that bugs me. Besides are first two wins, the offense always seems out of sync or like people aren't executing. Most other games I watch, the offenses look fairly fluid. Look at New Orleans. First year coach, first year with NO for Brees, two star rookies (Bush, Colston), yet they're all in sync.

Our first year coordinator can't seem to do anything with the veterans. Players, or coaching?

swine

Postby SlkyCaramel » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:33 pm

0421kidwell wrote:it's over we can finally stick a fork in this sorry team!

cowher is out there?

bye bye to
1. brunell
2. archuletta
3. rogers
4. holdman
5. patten
6. james trash
7. duckett
8. rumph
9. kenny wright
todd collins

Oh well go terps!!! i said they could to a bcs game check out my lounge thread!!

Why get rid of Wright or Duckett? We've already spent the money on Duckett, we might as well utilize him. If we can keep Duckett, Portis, and Betts, we'd have a VERY VERY good RB situation, they just need to use him. It's ridiculous that this is the FIRST TIME he's touched the ball. Kenny Wright has actually been playing decent ball.

Rogers? Ehh, jury is still out on him. He is actually a very good tackler, he just gives everyone too much damn cushion, he never attacks the ball.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:51 pm

Rogers, Thrash, and Duckett stay...everyone else on that list can go. ESPECIALLY YOU KNOW WHO
HAIL

piglet

Postby ClintonHill » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 am

Anyone else notice that when we blitz safeties or CBs they never get to the QB? This in turn leaves us badly exposed in downfield coverage.

We can't get pressure when we bring the house on a blitz. It's hard to have a good D when you can't pressure the QB. Gregg managed to do it for two years but the magic has worn off.

I have no idea what the solution is.

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:59 am

Czaban should of directed that question at Gibbs.

|

Postby sch1977 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:28 am

SlkyCaramel wrote:
0421kidwell wrote:it's over we can finally stick a fork in this sorry team!

cowher is out there?

bye bye to
1. brunell
2. archuletta
3. rogers
4. holdman
5. patten
6. james trash
7. duckett
8. rumph
9. kenny wright
todd collins

Why get rid of Wright or Duckett? We've already spent the money on Duckett, we might as well utilize him. If we can keep Duckett, Portis, and Betts, we'd have a VERY VERY good RB situation, they just need to use him. It's ridiculous that this is the FIRST TIME he's touched the ball. Kenny Wright has actually been playing decent ball.

Rogers? Ehh, jury is still out on him. He is actually a very good tackler, he just gives everyone too much damn cushion, he never attacks the ball.

Duckett is a FA at the end of the year, and he wont stay
Taylor and Landry will take no Prisoners!! - I just can't bring myself to delete it!

Hog

Postby reggiebrooks4life » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:51 am

On the bright side. We ran the ball really well and besides a couple eagles drives, we were able to contain them fairly well. If you take away the pick for a touchdown and the fluke fumble recovery for a TD, that is only 14 points scored by the eagles. I especially like the tough goaline stand the defense had!

Also, why would you want to completely overhaul the roster and change coaches again? It generally takes a season to understand a new offensive system. Do you really want to start from scratch next year and suffer the same problems? Lets try to build off the good things we have going for us and spend money wisely to plug a few holes ( DT, CB, S)
I am the walrus...coo coo ca choo?

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:58 am

reggiebrooks4life wrote:On the bright side. We ran the ball really well and besides a couple eagles drives, we were able to contain them fairly well. If you take away the pick for a touchdown and the fluke fumble recovery for a TD, that is only 14 points scored by the eagles. I especially like the tough goaline stand the defense had!

Also, why would you want to completely overhaul the roster and change coaches again? It generally takes a season to understand a new offensive system. Do you really want to start from scratch next year and suffer the same problems? Lets try to build off the good things we have going for us and spend money wisely to plug a few holes ( DT, CB, S)

I'm with you. It's frustrating to watch this team but it isn't all garbage. Worst of all would be to change our coaching staff now--didn't the late 90's / early 00's teach us anything as fans?!?!
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006