The worst display yet

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Site Admin

The worst display yet

Postby BossHog » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:14 pm

So far we have been a team that can only manage to play one good half of football each week.

... this week we couldn't even manage that.

This was a critical game and we didn't even show up.

Now we spend the entire bye week in a funk and reeling... not good.

HTTR
Last edited by BossHog on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:21 am

Now we spend the entire bye week in a funk and reeling... not good.

:puke: 2 weeks to think about how dallass and puscells will kick us while we're down :puke:
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:00 am

LOL, I think Spurrier will change because he is going to need a locksmith to Danial Snyders foot out of his azz. We were do for a totally bad game and that game was yesterday. This team knows that we shouldbe 7-0 and its eating at them, I hope. Where is Taylor. Why are all of P-Rams routes over 15 yards. Spurrier has to change or the game will change him by default :^o

Defense has no structure. Players are not where they suppose to be. :roll:
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:54 am

I feel like I am back in the Norv years. What a total failure of a game (although special teams - a weekness in previous years - played well).

If SS can't motivate his team for a critical game, who will? Some heads are going to have to roll - not just players.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

----

Postby HitDoctor » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:36 am

redskincity wrote:Defense has no structure. Players are not where they suppose to be. :roll:

Saw this one coming. Too much testosterone at the LB position. Marvin Lewis saw this problem last year with Trotter and Arrington..........They don't like to "stay home". I'd be happy at 8-8 at this point.
it is what it is

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:17 pm

My problem simply comes with the fact that George Edwards doesn't seem to have the imagination to go with his personality that makes the players want to work with him.

To tell me that this is the Lewis defensive system is an utter joke - his was a more attacking style.

George doesn't have the experience, nor has he dealt with this speed and it shows. A soft zone is a "safe" defense. It allows the team to allow the opponents to move down the field, but supposedly keeps them from the end zone, which unfortunately, is patently untrue.

With problems in the secondary, the best medicine is to attack and not let the opponents have time to throw.

If you have a strong secondary - attack and force them to throw to your strength off balance.

If they are running, stacking the linebackers 6 yards off the line of scrimmage or playing an over defense is the stupidest way to attack it. Tighten the line, don't play them wide. Move the backers to spread the outside backers to the outside of the offensive line formation on BOTH ends. Cinch the safeties up to cover the TEs or slot receiver. It isn't that daggone hard.
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:41 pm

Cinch the safeties up to cover the TEs or slot receiver

Safeties???? We have safeties? You mean we have two of them?

Oh wait... that's right... they're the guys that come running in late on all those long passing plays right?

Bowen, whle he looked awesome at camp, looks like he was well placed on the Packers bench last season with his play to-date... not a single BIG play out of him yet. I wasn't expecting Ronnie Lott or anything, but I thought he might at least hit somebody every now and again.

By the way I HATE Ronnie Lott, and cite him only because his over-rated *ss is always the safety benchmark. but that's a topic for an entirely different thread and if I'm participating will have to take place in the Smack forum.
Last edited by BossHog on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:54 pm

Check out my other post on defense Boss - I tried to break it down piece by piece.

The safeties and DBs need to be getting to the WR and not worrying about the run. The LBs need to worry about the running backs and tight ends. The ends get to the QB and the DTs maintain a wall in the middle. That is the way an organized defense usually works. Even in zones, the LB should key on the TE and RBs. What is killing me is that there is some sort of non communication that is going on here and the defense is chasing everyone everywhere with everything on the field. No one is staying home, nothing is cohesive or organized and nothing is being accomplished by that.

Don't think so oh you naysayers? Look at Belichick - I watched the Patsies pre game drills. Everything they did was almost military precision, and with 9 starters hurt, they still gave us a run for it. Don't scoff at having it well organized - it is the SCHEME and not the players killing us.

Bowen is keeping his head on a swivel due to having to support the run in Edwards scheme. He is getting sucked in by run fakes because Edwards is telling him to come in on a run because his scheme is so weak at defending it. That is how Bailey got burnt on the TD, remember? He had his head turned watching the running back and the receiver slipped behind him.

If Edwards needs help, unloose the LBs to get into the backfield of the opponents, not leaving them reading and reacting 6 yards off the line of scrimmage.

I thought Lott was better than that, but I never saw him that much, so I wouldn't know except through watching stuff that focused on him, which can make a third stringer look like a god if they want him to.

PS - Bowen was a Packed Head last year wasn't he? :)
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:56 pm

Yep the Safeties are to deep or to shallow. Once again I ask who calls the plays on defense right before the Snap? ](*,)

Oh I did see Bowens get a good lick on Henry. It sent him back a yard or two, almost helmet to helmet. :P
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:00 pm

... yeah Bowen was a Packer, I have edited my ignorance.

As for the TD that Bailey left the WR... that's still on Bailey... he's not expected to help out with the run inside.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:05 pm

I don't know about that - have you noticed in the last several games that when someone runs, if it is to one side of the field that everyone seems to converge? That means, IMO, that Edwards has told the DBs to watch for the run when they should be concentrating on the pass and this weakens us.
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:15 pm

Well I would expect the 'best cornerback in the world' to know better.

I haven't noticed any other DB's looking to backside pursue on running plays, but I haven't been watching that closely either.

Lately, my face is buried in my hands by the time a play runs that long against our defense, so I don't get to see the end :-)

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:20 pm

I understand - I am usually screaming up to the heavens cause I know I found a verse in the Bible that stated something about the Skins being the ultimate team in Heaven - I keep meaning to go back and find it, just haven't had the time ::Grin::

Seriously - if Edwards commands it - Bailey will do it - that is my point - if Edwards is telling them not to bump and run, or support the run defense, maybe it is the SCHEME and not the players.

Just maybe, but highly probable considering that I have seen better coaching from a Madden AI than I saw on the defensive side of the ball yesterday.
Rich in Roanoke

piglet

Postby redskinfan » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:44 pm

I'm not so sure about the the coaches getting all the blame on this.our defense is not great but they are not the worse either.(just this game)when a player gets beat man to man you can't blame spurrier.when the tight end misses his block or a rookie knocks the ball loose you cant blame dan snyder or someone else you know.i never believed we would go real far this season with all the new pick ups and patrick ramsey finishing up his rookie season this year.i believe its just a ladder for next year.we just have to live and get through this growing season.i still have faith that patrick and the line will get in synch eventually and we WILL be the team to beat.i'll bet on it!!!

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006