Defense

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
sfir

Defense

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:41 pm

If you have problems with the line, don't sit back and wait for someone to get through the darn line before you do something about it.

If your opponent is sweeping outside 70% of the time, getting your linebackers stacked INSIDE is the stupidest thing to do.

If you are having problems covering on short routes, hit the receivers at the line and make them pay for even trying to get into a route or a timing pattern. Don't back off because you let a rythym get established.

If your line is weak and you need a pass rush, if your opponent is in a 4 wr set you can still send 2 linebackers on one side - this is called an overload, usually associated with a line stunt pulling an OL to one side opening gaps to bring the LB through. If they are running a 3 WR set you can still cover the WR and TE with your 4 DB, assign 1 LB to monitor each back coming out of the backfield and blitz with what is left.

My whole point is sitting back is killing us. We play soft - we get hurt. HOW IN THE WORLD CAN IT GET MUCH WORSE if they attack? They score quicker? WOW! So what? The defense won't be drained at the end of the day and run through like tapioca pudding. The offense can get back out and try and reestablish quicker. If the other team scores rapidly, we get back out there to try again. If we hammer at them, it won't take many 5-6 minute drives to tire them out, even if we are scoring field goals at first. Time of possession is even more critical than people think. It's hard hauling 300 pounds after a HB all day, and by the end of the game the opponents DL will not have the legs to do it. That is why the 87% win percentage for teams that run over 40 times in a game. The legs just give out. The fact is that if we attack and get a good play, it can result in a turnover or a drive stalling play. If we miss - it may or may not be a huge play for the opponents.

I don't, nor have I ever understood the non attacking defense. We have done better with less talent than we have right now.

One solution to getting the DL fixed? Quit trying to get a pass rush from the inside with a DT that is more like a DE - get 2 big strong guys like the Ravens had with Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa. Or for that fact, like we had in Daryl Grant and Dave Butz. They would pressure QBs simply from brute forward rushes, not speed. They also hammered any back coming through the middle. Don't downsize one DT on the line as it will hurt the whole line. Use the ends for the speed rush and a linebacker or safety for speed up the gut. 350 pound DTs can open nice gaping canyons for the LBs to blitz up through. :)

Anything that the front seven can do to be more effective will enable the 4 dbs to do their job better. If the run isn't stopped AND the passer isn't pressured, the backs have to look both ways - to support the run defense AND to cover receivers coming out. The attacking style doesn't depend on the DBs covering the run anywhere near as much.

Any thoughts on this guys - or do you think it covers the gamut?

(I am gonna do the same thing for the offense too, just organizing my thoughts on one side of the ball first)

I just wish I could have a chance to sit with George at the film time and ask what his thinking was. You know, Buddy Ryan did well with the 4-6 until teams dissected it and found the weaknesses. The soft zone and prevent have been dissected for years and it drives me nuts to see them running it game after game. You might as well tell opponents that you haven't learned anything and just go ahead and do what other teams did that worked in prior weeks.

That is a lack of fundamental knowledge by the coach, and at this level it is scary as hell to me.
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:48 pm

Are we the only team that doesn't use "8 men in the box"?? I see teams with better Defenses using this scheme and our safeties are always deep. Fellas I dont know what to say :roll: :shock:

The redskins are suppose to bring in Fazio. I dont know what good this will do, may help us with fundementals???

To be honest everything starts with Offense. # and outs keep the defense on the field way to long. For instance look at the BUCs three years ago. They were pumped up until after half time and lost it in the third. Same here we need some type of spark teams are not surprised at all.

Spurrier should give Gibbs a call or two!!!!
Last edited by redskincity on Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:03 pm

Mainly all I talked about was schemes - but could I scorch some a** on their tackling. It is pathetic to see people who are paid this much trying to always score the flying tackles that decleat someone, only to have the opposing runner bounce off their shoulder pads and run around them. That is coaching as well. I would construct dummies specifically to have players wrap up the legs of the runner/receiver and make them run it 100 times a day til they got it right.

Quit trying to be the Lord of all he surveys on the field and don't get run over because you don't know how to tackle at the PRO level.

Maybe that is why they are bringing Fazio in - basics. Jeez - it couldn't hurt to have him there to whisper in George's ear when he gets ready to call another stupid soft zone. Maybe one of the things we have been lacking is one of those "old grizzled vets" in the booth watching from above....

::shrug::
Rich in Roanoke

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:48 pm

Great analysis and D-brakedown SFIRoanoke. I was somewhat concerned when Edwards was named the D-coordinator, as it appeared that D-players were seeking the freedom to "imporvise" their way of playing. Especailly Lavar, he was more than please to see M. Lewis go to the Bengals, as he could get over on Edwards and allow him to play this RISKY type of D.

Now, you have no consistent play and assignments responsiblity.

And I wholly agree with you on the tackling, what a pathetic display of agressiveness. What is going on with Bowen, aside from hammering our players during T-camp, I have yet to see him lay a blow-out lick on any receiver throug this season.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:54 pm

What is going on with Bowen, aside from hammering our players during T-camp, I have yet to see him lay a blow-out lick on any receiver throug this season.

Brutal so far. I was loving him at camp and he hasn't made a single big hit yet that I can remember.

... and his pass coverage is definitely not that great, so he needs to be rocking people occasionally.

It's like we have NO safeties out there on most plays.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:28 pm

on runs and passes :-&
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:55 am

without a doubt we should have used our top draft pick on a safety or DT
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:58 am

good post rich. agree with the scheme breakdowns. the d is playin out of place, on thier heels, scared, etc, etc. edwards.....whats up, too friendly? players didn't like lewis, but he produced. you know that sayin, the more you hate me, the more you will learn? seems leadership is the way to go...
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:54 pm

To me, right now, leadership is EVERYTHING.

Penalties and such need to be addressed from the top down.

Maybe make them run a full field windsprint drill for each 5 yards of penalties they get the previous game? You know what I mean - back of the goal to the goal line and back, to the 10 yard line and back, to the 20... etc.

Maybe take them back to a training camp mentality and have them stay in a hotel away from family to RELEARN everything from the ground up if need be. Keep them til 10-11 at night in the film rooms and in meetings until they shape up. They are too unfocused - Spurrier can't fine them due to their union contracts, but there isn't anything in there about stuff like this.

If the players gave a damn, they wouldn't be so anxious to head home without working late to fix this in the first place.
Rich in Roanoke

swine

Postby skinsNut » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:10 am

to RELEARN everything from the ground up if need be

... the coaches, or the players?

:-)
Hail to the Redskins

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:59 am

Maybe both LOL
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006