Dallas

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:31 am

Spurrier needs to earn the players' respect. Nobody fears him.

while I totally agree with the first half of this statement, I'm not sure that I agree with the second.

Nobody ever really FEARED Gibbs... but they sure respected the hell out of him.

When Scooter and I were interviewing Alumni at the Ken Harvey event, just about every one of the former players made a point of mentioning how much Joe Gibbs had affected their LIVES not just their football careers. It was truly awe-inspiring to hear a man so revered.

SOS doesn't have a chance of turning into a Bill Parcells disciplinarian... he needs to take his cues from Saint Gibbs, and while there will never be another JG... Spurrier's personality lends itself much more to that method of earning respect. Be boring, be exciting... Gibbs never cared what it looked like... but first and foremost... do whatever it takes to be successful. The players will respect success.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:57 am

The thing SS needs to understand about Gibbs is that Gibbs surrounded himself with great people. Great assistants and great players. And he knew where and what areas he needed help and wasn't ashamed to get it. SS and DS seem to be starting to figure that out, but too late IMHO. They will not be able to right this, this season. Next season, maybe?
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:05 am

The thing SS needs to understand about Gibbs is that Gibbs surrounded himself with great people.

Yeah I agree... I said exactly that in a post yesterday... if SOS can get some good help, his job will be more manageable.

Gibbs was smart enough to realize that you're not gauged by anything but success in the NFL... Spurrier needs to figure that out. We know he's got a big ego and it has to be killing him stinking the joint out (coaching-wise). Hopefully, that same ego will drive him to FIND a way to succeed.

... and sooner than later.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:12 pm

couldn't agree more
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006