Ok we have it together now!

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
+++

Ok we have it together now!

Postby NikiH » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:50 pm

I love the fact that we can play like this. We knew we had the talent. Grant it we didn't look 100% but we looked a heck of alot better. I hope the national media reports this half as much as they reported our loss last week!
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:47 pm

What I liked is that Patrick remained upright most of the game - I don't think he was sacked - unless I'm wrong. The INT's were unfortunate to say the least but he made some good throws and shows what he can do if he has the time.

Awesome INT by Smoot. Toe Drag Baby!!!
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:50 pm

No - two hits no sacks on Ramsey - gives his body a chance to heal.

Did anyone see the OLmen doing the arm pumps towards the end of the game? Tell me there wasn't some relief on their part after a good, well played game.
Rich in Roanoke

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:09 pm

We have it together????

No, I disagree, you're jumping the gun. We played a team who doesn't blitz like our past opponents have. Even the announcers were befuddled as to y they weren't blitzing.

Yes, this game was a confidence builder.
Yes, its a good 1st step to getting ourselves together.

But we need to still work on pass protection, and RB/TE's knowing who to block.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:53 pm

Chris, as the announcers said, there wasn't a problem with our line, per se.

In the last 4 games, the sacks haven't come off a lineman, but off of a back or tight end blocking someone they shouldn't have - Rice for example. The line itself has given up 5 or 6 of those sacks, mostly when Dockery was first out there. He has firmed up quite nicely. There was no inner push on Ramsey today.

Also, the Skins switched to 3 step drops early on, established the run, and then in the second half went deeper off of play action. The Seahawks had to respect the run and couldn't blitz, cause we caught them on blitzes with the run a couple of times. I know they weren't blitzing as much, but this was a different setup for Ramsey this time.

One of the things mentioned right before the game was how Ramsey was given at least one hot route for every pass play, and it worked. In several cases in the second half, Ramsey was cold and didn't hit open receivers, but they were open, and the score would have been better if he had connected.

I will say one thing - if we had had this scheme in place in the Dallas game, we would have stood a much better chance. In that game, Ramsey was 5 and 7 step drops all game and that got him killed. 3 step drops on a blitzing safety opens up Coles or Gardner across the middle like it did today. Shoot - there were 3 overthrows, 1 busted route and 3 gopher killers that could have been better by Ramsey that would have been good gains.

I don't think we have it all together by any stretch, but if this works well, Spurrier sticks to it, Ramsey stays upright and the receivers catch it... we can win most of our games. It is hard to defend against 5-7 yard completions and 4 yard runs. It also keeps opposing offenses away from our defense.

This was game planned nicely.
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:01 am

To say we have it together yet is a little premature IMO.

At least we can get back on track now though and see if this team can make a playoff run. It's very tough but still do-able.

I thought H.Jackson did a WAY better job calling the plays than SOS, and I hope that Spurrier keeps it this way at least until we lose a game.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:07 am

Our line has look good for the last three weeks. Its very easy to blame the line when P-Ram is getting up off the ground.The hawks did blitz us a few times and the RBs picked them up.
Next week I think we win the same game we won yesterday. :-$
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:19 am

The Panthers d-line is awesome though... that'll be a real test to see if we can protect P-Ram.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:06 am

We have it together better than last week but it is fragile. Funny how it goes with winning.

One good thing is we have history on our side. Carolina has never beaten us (they have found a way to lose to us lately). However, Carolina is a Hot team right now and playing with great confidence and YES they have a stud defense. Julius Peppers (UNC) is a load and will bring at P-Ram.

Should be a good test - was yesterday a mirage, or have we really changed that much. Let's hope so, I know I was thirsty for a victory.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:14 am

I agree that this team is certainly not "there" yet; however, I really liked how this team played this week. I also REALLY liked the fact that the Redskins had only 4 penalties this week. 4!

What an improvement!
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

+++

Postby NikiH » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:43 am

I think you guys are underrating our team. The Seahawks did not blitz on every play but there were a few plays where there was a blitz, and we picked it up. And the thing that stands out more then anything is we have a team that is getting fired up now. Being emotional doesn't equal a win but it does equal players who actually give a crap one way or the other. We didn't have that before.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:20 pm

^^ Underrating our team? No, you should have been here in the preseason when we ALL were giddy and happy. But when your team constantly makes the same mistakes over and over again it weighs on you. When mistakes from the past season crop up and cost us to lose games repeatedly, you start to lose some faith either towards the coaches, players, who may have you.

We ALL know we have great talent, thats a given. But without sound fundamentals which have been lacking in the past 4 games excluding the last one we simply will not be able to compete. History has shown that with out record.

But back to the topic, I'm not completely sound enough to say Rock can replace Davis. But he CERTAINLY has the potential. I like what I've seen, he's taken advantage of his oppurntunities and I say we play him a bit longer.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:25 pm

Roanoke, I COMPLETELY agree with you. I worded that last sentence wrong. The O-line has been playing great, not flawlessly, but above average. Its the backs, and the TE's that need to block better. At the same time we change our backs and TE's everyday so no one prolly gets any real learning time.

Rock did improve this game, in his blocking. There is only one where I remeber him messing up. He tried to chop block a LB, but the LB just brushed him aside to make the tackle.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:47 pm

BossHog wrote:The Panthers d-line is awesome though... that'll be a real test to see if we can protect P-Ram.

I also agree, as I stated before, that it is way too early to declare it put together. John Fox is a devious SOB who gave us fits for some time at NYG as the DC.

I still disagree that we are going to have problems with the OL. The line is doing good, the backs and TE are having the problems with the blitzers and the damn scheme has been to block 7 incoming with 5 on the line and hope Ramsey could drop seven steps and get the ball off to someone deep. Against the Hawks, they switched to three step drops, short routes with hot reads, and began to establish the run and ball control. The play action started affecting the D in the second quarter with the aggressiveness of the Hawks LBs getting sucked in.

If Carolina blitzes with more than 4 against us, I hope they stay with the idea of the short routes and hot reads. Ramsey will get the ball off quickly and may burn the heck out of the Panthers if they rush too many.

Keep one thing in mind - Had Coles not had to beat the deep safety in the Hawks game, he would have scored. If the safety blitzes like they did in Dallas, that was a quick drop laser strike that didn't take long to develop. Williams wouldn't have made it there quickly enough and if Fox does too much of that in this game there may be some long plays against the deep DBs.

Could be interesting.
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:56 pm

Does Carolina Blitz?? If they dont we will air it out!!! :D
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record: