Cap Questions

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
+++++++++

Cap Questions

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:07 am

How exactly is a cap hit figured out?

What money counts against the cap?

How do signing bonuses work?

Is there a good reference site for player contracts?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:16 am

Start with this thread:

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1681

I think it will cover most of it for you.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Re: Cap Questions

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:27 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:How exactly is a cap hit figured out?
i'll try to do a simple example.

What money counts against the cap?

How do signing bonuses work?

the entire signing bonus(SB) counts. player salary counts only if hes still with the team.

ex. player A signs a 5 year, 10 million dollar deal. to keep it simple, its a 5 mil SB, with 1 mil a year salary. the signing bonus is pro rated over the term of the deal... 5 mil divided by 5 years = 1 mil a year. then add player A's salary for the first year, and you get a 2 mil cap hit. (1 mil for the bonus, and 1 mil for the salary) years 2,3,4 & 5 will be the same, a 2 mil cap hit.(this is usually not the way it works, because real contracts usually start with a small salary at the begining, and increase over time, but i'm trying to keep it simple here :) ) now, lets say that player A gets cut after his 3rd year. 3 mil has been paid of the signing bonus. that leaves 2 mil for each remaining year on the deal. since the player is cut, he will not get the remaining salary on the deal... 1 mil a year for 2 years, but since the team has already paid the SB of 5 mil, that does count. 3 mil has been paid, so the team will have 2 mil in dead money, which can be split into 2 years if the player is released after june 1st.

year 1 - 1 mil SB, + 1 mil salary, = 2 mil cap hit
year 2 - 1 mil SB, + 1 mil salary, = 2 mil cap hit
year 3 - 1 mil SB, + 1 mil salary, = 2 mil cap hit
cut after year 3, remaining 2 mil of the SB counts as a cap hit, so player A actually got 8 mil of the 10 mil deal.

Is there a good reference site for player contracts?
here is our teams numbershttp://www.thehogs.net/html/Team/salary_table.php

did that help or did i confuse you more?
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:49 am

This table is now dated though, as I do not have time to maintain it during the reg. season... hopefully next year I will have the time as we learn what we're doing. :wink:

But it was current when the season started and as such, all of the numbers there for players listed are fairly accurate. There are just also aditional players monies not accounted for in that table.

I do keep a spreadsheet of it all and will endeavor to do a btter job of keeping it more up-to-date.

Usually Football 101 is a good place to ask any cap question though.... be they general, or specific. That's the kind of thing that this forum is for. :up:

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:43 pm

That answers a lot of questions, namely why June 1st is such a special date. All I really know about the cap I learned from Madden, haha.

Anyway, I have a follow up question.

Is a signing bonus paid directly to the player as one large lump sum after the contract is signed but pro rated over the course of the contract for cap purposes? Or is it paid out year by year?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:11 pm

..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:05 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:That answers a lot of questions, namely why June 1st is such a special date. All I really know about the cap I learned from Madden, haha.

Is a signing bonus paid directly to the player as one large lump sum after the contract is signed but pro rated over the course of the contract for cap purposes? Or is it paid out year by year?
signing bonus is up front. all at once. it's the only garunteed money. of course there are roster bonuses, but i didn't want to get into that in cap 101. ;)
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:31 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:That answers a lot of questions, namely why June 1st is such a special date. All I really know about the cap I learned from Madden, haha.

Actually, it USED TO BE that these amounts were paid up front, but now in reality, payment 'schedules' are often made. But it has no bearing to the cap implications and you got it ostensibly right the first time in that the signing bonus amount IS pro-rated over the length of the contract.

So... get a 10M signing bonus on a 5 year contract.... the cap hit is 2m a year for the signing bonus and then of course add whatever the annual salary for that year is.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:37 pm

Another Salary Cap question.

How is the cap effected if a player is released and later rejoin the Team

This is a list of the dead money on the Cap in 2005.
As you can see there are current players on this list

David Fiore OG 0.750 Million
Jeremiah Trotter LB 4.648 Million
Quinn Christensen OL 0.008 Million
Jafar Williams WR 0.001 Million
Billy Strother LB 0.010 Million
John Standeford WR 0.001 Million
Norman Heuer DT 0.002 Million
Ralph Brown CB 0.125 Million
Chris Clemons LB 0.003 Million
Ryan Boschetti DT 0.003 Million
Regan Upshaw DE 1.200 Million
Rufus Brown CB 0.003 Million
Garnell Wilds CB 0.003 Million
Walter Rasby TE 0.267 Million
Total: 7.024 Million

Do we get this space back……it’s not a lot but any space is better than none
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

skinsfan1

Postby skinsfan1 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:51 am

Why do we have to pay dead money to a player that is actively playing on a another teams roster?

Hog

Postby General Failure » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:45 am

Because Snyder threw a dump truck of money at everyone that came along.
I got your number. I steal your thunder. I got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:26 am

1niksder wrote:Another Salary Cap question.

How is the cap effected if a player is released and later rejoin the Team

Do we get this space back……it’s not a lot but any space is better than none

If you could get it back, it wouldn't be deemed 'dead cap'.... dead cap is EXACTLY that... money you owe for contracts where the player is no longer under that contract. This money is owed to our cap space because this represents the amount of guaranteed bonus money that that player had on their contract... and therefore, we still have to pay it cap-wise.

In the cases where the players are listed as dead space AND they are still playing for the Redskins... they are players that were under contract but then were released and then re-signed. Their money is completely negligible though in the broad scheme of things and it is comical to see it in terms of 'millions'. Here are the players that pertains to:

Total... .023 million....

Also known as $23,000.

:oops:

.... not much of a dent in a $90 Million kitty.

Hog

Postby washington53 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:14 pm

Total... .023 million....

Also known as $23,000.

icon_redface.gif

.... not much of a dent in a $90 Million kitty.

not much of a dent at all
Defense wins championships

Return to Football 101