Barker wins the punting competition

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Barker wins the punting competition

Postby newshog » Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:25 pm

Bryan Barker punted well enough yesterday to be the one to go up against David Leaverton, per the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6357-2003Aug17.html

They also report that Noble's injury may be bad enough to knock him out of football altogether, which is a real shame--I was really starting to like him.
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:41 pm

... I hope Noble can recover and play again.

He's a real fan's type player... good about autographs... always friendly... big smile.

That combined with that big grizzly beard really made him one of my camp favorites.

Now we need two DT's... and teams know they're negotiating with a DT desperate squad. I'm amazed they haven't thought or talked more about moving Wynn back inside and just using Upshaw and B. Smith at end. They did do it in practice a few times early in camp, and Wynn did play DT the year before last in Jacksonville.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby newshog » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:45 pm

I was thinking the same thing about Wynn--I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them work him in as DT this week in practice. Just wish we could still have our various eyes on the ground--now we'll have to read our way between the lines of journalists' reports!

swine

What're they going to do?

Postby learnnew » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:46 pm

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with all this. Even with Noble, the performances haven't been all that great. This team really needs some discipline in plays. 12 penalties this week after an awful performance last week is too much. What's Spurrier doing? Those who have followed his teams in Florida will recognize that the story is the same. Lack of discipline. That has always been his teams' bane (well except 1995 & 1996). Gators have, in each season, lost at least one game because they thought they could merely show up and not care how sloppy they were. The margin of error is obviously too small in NFL and this is clearly showing. Until they sort all those stupid errors out, this team is going to lose and lose ugly. It is not going to be a pretty sight at all. Sorry for all that rant and all that negative perception. But this is frustrating the hell out of me! How long can we tolerate missed assignments? Aren't these guys paid not to miss them in the first place?

Regarding Noble, man, I wish he can come back and play again. From what I've read in this site, he seems to be a real nice guy and a real nice player.

Check out: http://redskins.theinsiders.com/2/168997.html

Skins seem to be paying now for their hope that the thin DL will work out. Looks like the Broncos are asking for a 5th round draft pick for Dalton, who they'd have cut anyway. I, for one, really hope the front office and Snyder will show the efficiency they showed in the beginning of the free agency period, to sign Dalton/Traylor/Washington asap - two of them, may be. Anyone know if Grady Jackson is still available? BTW, Big Daddy seems to have signed with Lions!
(http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DET/6571129)

Besides, what is the punting situation? I think they should try to get Tom Tupa or Andy Groom instead of sticking with David Learton or Bryan Barker. May be its not fair on Learton but then its better than having to go through yet another round of uncertainty.

Guys, overall what do you think is the real problem with the team? Is it Spurrier (his offense or his coaching methods or his player management or his play-calling)? Is it something else? It'd be shame to see them bumble and fumble to something around 8-8 again (or even worse? - Check out Dan Banks' article in SI.com), considering what an offensive genius Spurrier is. Is Spurrier the right guy to implement his own offense in NFL?

Phew! There you go! I got it all out!
:feedback;
HTTR
Go Skins! For 10-6 or higher!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:23 pm

Phew! There you go! I got it all out!

Bravo... it always feel good to get it off your chest :-) ... and I think you make a lot of valid points.

Guys, overall what do you think is the real problem with the team? Is it Spurrier (his offense or his coaching methods or his player management or his play-calling)? Is it something else?

I'm going to wait until the season starts to look for any 'problem' with the team. While some things are attrributable to things that you say.. it's hard to really gauge it until the games start for real.

I have always looked at lots of penalties as undisciplined and a sign of bad coaching... but I'm going to give SOS some leeway and see if it happens during the regular season. I think if we are still piling up silly, undisciplined penalties then... I think it will be tough to not cast some blame on the coaching staff.

I, for one, really hope the front office and Snyder will show the efficiency they showed in the beginning of the free agency period, to sign Dalton/Traylor/Washington asap - two of them, may be. Anyone know if Grady Jackson is still available?

Make that two of us.

I'd take any two combo of Dalton, Washington, and Traylor... but I guess if I had to put them in order, it'd go Washington, Dalton, Traylor. But I'd put our only current starting DT prospect Haley a ways back in 4th on that list. If we can't sign two DT's then I think it's crazy to not consider moving Wynn back inside.

This is a forum for thoughts on the Redskins... not just positive thoughts on the Redskins. No need to apolgize for having a few concerns with the state of the team learnnew... it's a fan's prerogative.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:43 pm

I thought we should've signed Tupa and Shaun King in the offseason. Anyone know of any other DT's besides Traylor, Washington, or Dalton the Skins may be interested in? I know they were intersed in Grady Jackson, but interest in him seemed to die down. I think we should sign Ryan McNeil. LOL. Just thought I'd put that last comment in there. Go Skins!!!
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby newshog » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:20 pm

According to tomorrow's Washington Post, we're hoping to get Dalton via a conditional pick (conditional upon playing time) and trade Ladell Betts for Grady Jackson of New Orleans or the Chicago Bears' Keith Traylor or Ted Washington. The Saints currently would rather deal one of Jackson's backups, Kenny Smith or Martin Chase, for a draft pick. Looks like barring any snags, the Dalton trade will happen--a deal for any of the others is still in the early stages, I would think.

swine

Postby learnnew » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:47 am

Well Boss, I don't know how much leeway should one give to SOS. If its just these two preseason games, its understandable. It was the same story the whole of last season. More than once, almost everyone said that Skins defeated themselves last season. Nothing seems to have changed.

I guess I'm really frustrated cause I look at SOS's performance this way: Last year, we had an excellent defense to win all the way. Despite all the bumble and fumble, even with the penchant for passing that SOS displayed last year, we could've made playoffs if only we were disciplined. Atleast three games could've swung the other way. Imagine, a 10-6 instead of 7-9! Now we'd have called SOS's offense the greatest success story, wouldn't we? If you remember the games last year, whatever the problems were with the offense, despite the lack of speed (this has been so hyped this year), receivers were open pretty consistently, and open by a considerable extent compared to normal NFL standards. So where did SOS's Gator experiment fail? Was it with the WRs (lack of speed)? No, not really. Speed is a plus, but I don't think that's the issue. Was it at QBs? Partially. The O-Line? Definitely. But my assessment of the real reason is this: the team never gelled together. What I mean is that the coaches did a poor job of communicating what they expected from the players in this offense. And there were no proper checks and balances to ensure that the players did not commit stupid mistakes in terms of penalties, missed assignments (blocks, tackles, fumbles, routes, plays and what not? we got everything wrong that could go wrong!) and so on. If SOS thought that he could merely show up with his offense and win (he has admitted it more candidly than he has ever admitted anything), that attitude got trickled down to the players. Lack of discipline. This is my take. What's new this year? Receivers get more open. So what? The problem has not been solved really.

You see the trouble with SOS has always been that he expects the players to be mature and do their jobs. May be what we should do is to hire Bill Parcells for the remaining week or two to instil discipline among the players and basically scare them to their wits end! :wink: Now can we do that?

Finally, think about this: if our offense was disciplined last year, what would people have said about our defense compared to the bucs' defense?

HTTR

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:06 am

The Times says that we aren't that interested in Dalton and that we are being very patient when it comes to getting a DT. It also says we may wait for the Broncos to release Dalton and sign him to a minimum contract.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

swine

Postby learnnew » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:14 am

I'm posting a reply to my own message but then check out these links:
http://www.freelancestar.com/News/FLS/2 ... 03/1072866
and
http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/2 ... -2610r.htm

They tell the same story I said.

:feedback;
HTTR

Hog

Postby newshog » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:10 pm

Well here's a question, then--do you think there are other more glaring errors that the Ol' Ball Coach will be focused on this week (and probably next week and the week after)? I don't. I think he'll put a major emphasis on making this team more disciplined. Problem is, we won't be able to see him doing so (and whether it worked) until Saturday.

swine

Postby learnnew » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:52 pm

Well you do have a point. Lets hope he does that. I think he realizes it as well (definitely he does compared to last season). We only have to wait and hope that things turn out alright. These players are capable of playing disciplined football, or else they wouldn't have made it this far. I can only hope he does what it takes to get the team going. His widely questioned ability to adapt (we all know he has it, he isn't that adamant!) is going to face a big test, is all.

Another thought, SOS's offense is unique in the league. Is it that hard for the players to adapt to his offense?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football