Running Back

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Skins1112233

Running Back

Postby Skins1112233 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:39 pm

The skins should use their second round pick on RB Greg Jones from FSU the man is a monster (6'1 245) and he should be around in the second round. I wont forget the way he flattened Sean Taylor (possibly the best defensive player in the draft) in the Orange Bowl. To me he seems like a good fit in a Gibbs offense and none of this years RBs are worth a 5th pick overall.

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:52 pm

On the contrary, I think Kevin Jones out of VT is definitely worth a number 5 pick. He runs a 4.26 in the forty, can break tackles, and has good field vision. In fact, I envision him becoming a LaDainian Tomlinson type player.

Skins1112233

Postby Skins1112233 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:14 pm

I dont think Kevin Jones is as strong as LT i dont doubt he will be productive in the NFL but he has never had to carry the load for Va Tech so my only concern is whether he can be a back that can carry the ball 25-30 times per game. He always had a great back to share the carries with at Va Tech (i.e. Lee Suggs).

swine

Postby Bitter Smuggs » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:45 pm

I don't think KJ is as good an all around back as Tomlinson is. He doesn't have Tomlinson's elusiveness and vision, but KJ is faster and stronger than Tomlinson. Also, KJ carried the entire load for the Virginia Tech offense this past season. He broke the school's all time single season rushing record and finished only about 500 yards short of the schools career rushing record even though he split carries his freshman and sophomore year. He also gained 126 yards against Miami and all of their future first round picks on defense. He is definitely worthy of a top selection and I would love to see the Redskins draft him, but I believe the defensive line is a bigger area of concern and would rather the Redskins get Harris or Wilfork.

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:57 pm

I agree that Tomlinson might be a better all around back now, but who knows, KJ might be much better than LT in a few years. And as for Wilfork, If he has a poor combine, he could drop to the second round in time for the Redskins to nab him. Thats why I say the Redskins should take KJ or Sean Taylor of Miami

swine

Postby Bitter Smuggs » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:01 pm

I definitely wouldn't mind Sean Taylor either. Dallas struck gold with Roy Williams two years ago, and I think Taylor will eventually be better than Williams.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:33 pm

I agree

---------

Postby redskins56 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:02 pm

Redskins4Life is absolutely right... Kevin Jones is worth the 5th overall pick, if in fact Gibbs feels as though he would be better off with the rook than a FA or trade option.

To compare him to Ladaian Tomlinson is asanine. To say he isn't as complete, or that his vision isn't as good, is stating the obvious. You are comparing a jr. in college, allbeit a da*! good one, to one of the leagues premier backs, a 3 year veteran, who is an annual 1000 yard rusher and caught 100 balls this season.

Redskins4life hit it on the head because of the word could. He said in more words than less that KJ could be the next LT, not that he was. Give him 3 of 4 years, to gain as much experience and then we can compare them, but based on upside and potential, ability, and sheer athleticism, he is worth the 5th overall pick.

Postby SteamRollingRiggo » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:41 pm

It's hard to pass up on a back that has so much potential, especially since running backs can contribute right away, but it's also hard to pass up on a safety of taylor's caliber. Safeties like that don't come by very often. If we could trade down a few picks (staying in the top ten), then maybe we could grab either guy and get a 2nd or 3rd round pick out of it.

piggie

Kevin Jones is prime time

Postby TopHawg » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:23 pm

The only thing Kevin Jones lacks compared to LT is experience feild vision and crap like that comes will come when you learn the scheme of an offense and the speed of teh pro game. Things like speed, quickness, elusiveness and patience behind your blocks is something that can't be taught and those are things where KJ beats LT. KJ may never grow to be a better all around back than LT but he will definitely become a better rusher. To say he never had to carry a team is is untrue when you look at VT's situation last year. With the QB controversy and the inconsistancy by both of them and all the disfunction on that team with injuries and hostility by some players towards Coach's and the rapid decline in the level of play towards the end of the season (all things that teh redskins are used to), KJ remained focused and consisant and rushed for 150yds a game. He is the model of consistancy and sportmanship. He's a class act and a perfect fit in Washington especially considering he is already well known and liked in the area b/c of VT.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:09 am

I think it's more likely that Running Back will be addressed through the free agent market. This is an area where Gibbs has typically sought players with a history, who work hard, learn quickly, and don't fumble much. They are, I think, more likely to use the draft to improve the DL.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:21 pm

Draft Kevin Jones AND Sean Taylor. Let Bailey go to Detroit, and get two first round picks from them. We'll have the 5th and 6th pick, draft KJ with number 5, trade the number 6 pick down to about pick 9-10, pick up Sean Taylor and get an extra 1st or 2nd round pick.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:30 pm

if Taylor is so hot do you envision him lasting til 10?

I agree KJ is a damn good back - especially considering what happened this year with VT... but I would almost rather see us going with an experienced back... I am rather torn on this one..
Rich in Roanoke

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:26 pm

Rich, Hope you have a lot of beer because I am in the same boat with you on this issue. I really like KJ but I am unsure of the direction would be best for the team..is it experience or a rookie back. The rookie route is a gamble, no doubt. But if it is him instead of Corey Dillon, I would go with KJ. The rookie would be easier to mold rather than the veteran and the attitude.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:18 pm

One things the Redskins did that worked out well for them last year (in my opinion) was to give up a lot of their draft picks and go for "veteran" players.

The running back position is an area where I would, once again, prefer the Skins to look for "experience". As I just posted on another thread, I'd really like it if the Skins made a play for Duce Staley at RB instead of looking to the draft.

Staley is a talented runner and pass-catcher...and you could do A LOT worse!

I would rather use the draft to help out the defensive line and/or TE position.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010