The Tuck Rule...

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
piggie

The Tuck Rule...

Postby psummersjr » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:56 pm

The only reason I'm enduring all this pain at the hands of Patriot fans is b/c of that damned tuck rule :evil:. It's been explained to me before but is there anyone out there who could provide a decent explanation here?
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:07 pm

Any forward motion by a QB's arm is considered the beginning of a forward pass even if he tries to stop his arm motion and tuck the ball... if he loses it during the forward motion or immediately after it, it won't be a fumble or intentional grounding. It will simply be ruled as a forward pass that is incomplete.

Did that help ya? :)
Rich in Roanoke

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:44 pm

Yeah, that was as clear as it gets... thanks!

Aren't most people against it (Tom Brady excepted, of course)?
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:46 pm

that depends on who's in the situation, if it were ramsey id say yea, tuck rule. but if it were mcnabb or carter, i'd say FUMBLE... :lol:
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby skin_to_the_bone » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:10 am

hailskins666 wrote:
that depends on who's in the situation, if it were ramsey id say yea, tuck rule. but if it were mcnabb or carter, i'd say FUMBLE... :lol:

then we all pile on top of the poor b@st@rds! :D .... Redskins Ball!
I have travelled the net and found the Redskins promise land. This is, by far, the best site out there for Redskins/NFL News, Notes, Opinions, and so much more.

----Steve

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:44 am

dogpile on the rabbit, dogpile on the rabbit, dogpile on the...

sorry - Bugs Bunny moment there :)
Rich in Roanoke

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:31 am

Key thing is the difference between QB's with a quick release, and those with a long wind-up.

Sonny Jurgenson, who is not just a great broadcaster, but was the best passer in the NFL from 1960 until he retired in the mid-70's, had the quickest release anyone has seen. Joe Namth, underneath all the "Broadway Joe", glamour, fur coats and all, made his living with a quick release. Dan Marino had it. Brady has it. Aikman did not. The amazing Jeff George has it...without any other qualities that make an NFL QB, unfortunately.

So...in a split-second judgement, I'd assume that Brady could get his arm moving forward. Hence, pass.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:05 am

welch wrote:Key thing is the difference between QB's with a quick release, and those with a long wind-up.

Sonny Jurgenson, who is not just a great broadcaster, but was the best passer in the NFL from 1960 until he retired in the mid-70's, had the quickest release anyone has seen. Joe Namth, underneath all the "Broadway Joe", glamour, fur coats and all, made his living with a quick release. Dan Marino had it. Brady has it. Aikman did not. The amazing Jeff George has it...without any other qualities that make an NFL QB, unfortunately.

So...in a split-second judgement, I'd assume that Brady could get his arm moving forward. Hence, pass.

Good post Welch. And man I loved to watch Sonny play - getting off thread here for a second - he could run a 2 minute drill to perfection.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:10 pm

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:Any forward motion by a QB's arm is considered the beginning of a forward pass even if he tries to stop his arm motion and tuck the ball... if he loses it during the forward motion or immediately after it, it won't be a fumble or intentional grounding. It will simply be ruled as a forward pass that is incomplete.

Did that help ya? :)

how long does 'immediately' last? can i pump the ball, and the run around for 5 or 7 seconds not having to worry abhout fumbling? seems a bit arbitrary to me (and raiders fans).
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:22 pm

I think the word immediately means that once the motion is stopped either by just stopping the movement or tucking the ball it is free game again
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Football 101