The Redskins 1st Pick

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Who will be the Redskins 1st draft pick?

S Sean Taylor
43%
DT Tommie Harris
9%
TE Kellen Winslow, Jr.
27%
DE Will Smith
No votes
RB Kevin Jones
7%
DE Kenechi Udeze
9%
RB Chris Perry
No votes
DT Randy Starks
No votes
Someone else (please explain)
5%

Total votes : 44
Pursuer of Justice

The Redskins 1st Pick

Postby Justice Hog » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:39 am

Okay, for the sake of this question, let's assume that instead of trading away their 1st pick in the Redskins draft, the Redskins use it.

Who do you think they'll take?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:53 am

SEAN TAYLOR BABY! I hope all the hype is right. :lol:
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

swine

Postby skinsfan301 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:53 am

Taylor all the way, I would love to have KJ but you can't pass on the next Ronnie Lott.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:56 am

well, one thing that we really aren't considering too seriously, and I have to think about this is that we trade down 5-6 picks and take Starks and pick up a pick or two - probably at least one first day pick... that may be too much for Gibbs to pass up considering that we need some major spots filled...
Rich in Roanoke

swine

Postby skinsfan301 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:00 pm

I think we should be able to address DT in FA and be able to use our 1st rounder on a play maker.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:43 pm

I would hope so to some degree - but the guys that are difference makers in the DL that will be on the FA market are going to be expensive - without a couple of guys restructuring we could be hurting cap wise - and we can't afford that with the 5th pick - another reason I think we may trade down

Just an update - there is an awful lot of talent available on the FA market - it isn't as shallow as I once thought - there are some good players out there in RB, DT, DE and S. The shallowest would be in DE though....
Rich in Roanoke

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:01 pm

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:well, one thing that we really aren't considering too seriously, and I have to think about this is that we trade down 5-6 picks and take Starks and pick up a pick or two - probably at least one first day pick... that may be too much for Gibbs to pass up considering that we need some major spots filled...

i.m all for more draft picks espc if the needs are still there for them to go after.

depth will be a big key as well as finding those who can step it up . but i.m still sticking to my gut feeling here and say we should go a few FREE AGENTS while keeping the draft and bringing in undrafted free agents .

keep it open on all fronts whether it,s thru the free agent market or the draft,but keeping the $$$$ amount down somewhat ,unless they see someone wo can really be there in FA.BUT I PREFER TO LOOK TOWARDS THE DRAFT WHILE SIGNING A FEW FREE AGENTS WITH IMPACT THAT WILL FILL NEEDS. :)
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

jerseyskins

mel kiper

Postby jerseyskins » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:45 pm

Did you hear Kiper at halftime of the senior Bowl today? He says the Skins will use the 5th pick to get Winslow because Gibbs needs another Didier!!! Hey Mel !!!! Gibbs got Didier in the 12th round of the 81 Draft! Sure KW is a talent. He may be better than Gonzales but if you saw any Skins games during the 80's Mel you would know that Gibbs uses TE's to get those 3rd down conversions and RedZone targets almost entirely. It is too early in the year to hear Mel talk about things he knows nothing about.

---------

Postby redskins56 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:20 pm

Mel Kiper Jr. is the man when it comes to the draft, so I would have to disagree with our guest. But I do agree that the main thing we would ask the TE to do would be block...

-GEEPZ

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:34 am

I have to agree that the 5th pick for a TE is crazy - especially when Troupe and or Watson can both catch and block too...
Rich in Roanoke

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:46 am

One thing to remember about K2...there is a connection between him and Gibbs. His dad used to play for Gibbs in SD. KW loves Joe Gibbs and I'm sure would love to see his son here. Also for these reasons I don't see K2 having the attditude problem that some here seems to think he has. I don't see us taking a TE that high as things stand now but things can change in a hurry with FA, we shall see,
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:48 am

Okay, it's time for me to give my My 2 cents

Many folks are picking S Sean Taylor; however, I have to disagree. I think the Redskins safeties will improve next year under a new defensive scheme. I think Matt Bowen is the real deal...and he'll prove that next year.

Yes, we need help on the DL...but something tells me we'll tap free agent(s) for that fix.

I think KW Jr. is the way to go here. Having a true weapon at Tight End will win this team some games!!
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:35 am

Ok... considering all of the problems we have try this one on for size:

We keep a couple of the better (?) DTs from last year, bring in Sapp and Adams, who being willing to sign for less to prove something make themselves affordable. We manage to land Darren Howard who wants to prove he can play next to two good DTs and that he recovered from his injury a couple of years ago. We sign Dillon giving up our third round pick. That takes care of a lot of our problems on the team for the moment... Do you think we might sign K2 and Troupe? That would be two bigger tight ends who can block and catch. (I had read that K2 was 230, but now I am seeing that he is 253 or so)
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:52 pm

How about a DL of:
Upshaw, Wynn, Grady Jackson(FA), Grant Wistrom(FA)
Or throw in Kearse too!
Pick up a DL in round 2 or so.

Get Mike Green from the bears for safety.
Boo Williams(RFA) or Kinney(FA) for TE, along with Robert Royal and one of the top draftees.

Give Ladell and Trung a decent shot in a decent run offense and see how they go.

Then as far as I'm concerned we just need an improvement at punter.
I believe that our O-line will be immense next year, with dockery at LG and decent blocking schemes under Gibbs.

Does anyone know what cap room we have?

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:50 pm

9 mil is the figure right now, if I am correct... guys/gals - anyone out there read anything different than 9 mil?
Rich in Roanoke

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010