I want to be a Quarterback But...

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
##

I want to be a Quarterback But...

Postby Clinton Portis » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:19 am

I'm 5'8, 131 Pounds and my hands are small.

But I want to be really good! I practice hard and read up on all the throwing motions, calls, etc.

But does my physique rule me out for this position? I mean my hands can't go all the way around the ball, and I heard you have to have large hands to get a really good grip.

But this is the position I want to play, I don't like playing other postion.

So does my body weight and hand size rule me out as a quarterback? I'm gaining weight at the moment trying to get myself more cut for tryouts.

But I don't want to get my hopes up if I'm not built up for the position.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:34 am

what level of play? varsity?

i play varsity too and our qb is like 6' 185 and hes fast, but hes not the best passer. the coaches love his speed tho, i think if you're already fast then just add some muscle weight to your frame.
Last edited by andyjens89 on Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
XVII XXII XXVI

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:37 am

Yeah.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:41 am

Hm... Best idea might be WR... Wait, though. What is the offensive type? I-formation, Wing T, Veer, Spread, Wishbone... What?
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:42 am

Doug Flutie wasn't a big guy either, if you have the skills you can play QB. You have to be good though.

In my opinion, you should play second base or shortstop... baseball rules! :D
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:23 pm

I'm pretty sure its I Formation.

And I don't like being a WR. I'm not really fast enough.

But I'm accruate and I make good decisions, but I'm not sure if my body is suited to the task.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:39 pm

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but at 5'8".... you might want to pick another position if you have aspirations of being a pro player.

There was a quarterback who was pretty short in Redskins camp a coupla years ago... Brad Banks was a heisman trophy candidate, but he barely got a look in the pros because he's about 5'9" (at a guess).

It isn't impossible... it's just unlikely. You're being asked to throw over 6 and a half foot tall linemen who have their arms outstretched...

Doug Flutie made it TO the NFL yeah, but did he have much success? He got a good contract after lighting up the CFL for a few years... He was a CFL star where the linemen are all a few inches shorter and the game's rules are set up differently.

I wanted to be an offensive tackle as much as anything, but at 5'10" I'd have to be completely round to weigh 300 pounds. :shock:

And keep in mind that I'm only talking about the NFL... you can enjoy a lot of football at QB along the way without ever making it to the NFL.

Paying for a college tuition with a quarterback arm is not a bad option for anyone. And the height isn't near the detriment in college that it is in the pros. So i'm not trying to deter you in any way... but know what you're up against.

My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:48 pm

Well I think I'm 5'8. I might be 5'9, because I know I'm close to six feet. I havent measured myself is a number of years, so I don't know how tall I really am. And since I'm still a teenager I have some growing to do.

I'll probaly be about 6'0 when all is said and done.

But it proves how little I know about by height if I thought I was 6'0.

I told someone I was about 6'0 and they said "No your arent!"

So I had to rethink that. :roll:

EDIT: And I have alot of heart and determination. More than most people. So I hope that overrides questions about my height.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:13 pm

as small as you are, go for safety. with small hands and less than favorable height, i doubt qb is in your future. and being small, its a LOT easier to deliver hits, than to take them. My 2 cents
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:25 pm

But I'm 131! Don't you think I'm too small to be a safety?

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:35 pm

two words. pat fischer!

like i said, its ten times easier to dish out the punishment, than to take it. at 131 lbs, think of a 220-250 pound d-lineman landing on top of you for a sack....... crunch! :puke:

qb is the most glamourous position, sure. but, it takes team players to win. think with your brain, not your heart. ;) at least thats my advice, not like that counts for much. :)
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:03 pm

Thanks for everyones advice but I still want to be a QB.

I believe I can do it, even at my weight/height. Plus I'm gaining weight and working out.

I'll be bulked up plenty before Tryout. :D

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:45 pm

Dang it man! Baseball!!! Play middle infield, get a crouching stance and get a high OBP... get drafted by the A's!!!

:)
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:50 pm

I hate baseball. :roll:

Hog

Postby General Failure » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:53 pm

Nobody really likes baseball, but it pays well. And you can get steroids easily, so you can bulk up to a good football weight. It's a perfect plan, you should go with it.
I got your number. I steal your thunder. I got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm.

Return to Football 101