Michael Boulware and Teddy Lehman.

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Michael Boulware and Teddy Lehman.

Postby Redskins4Life » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:58 pm

I think all this focus that people are emphasizing on the D Line, and RB, safety, etc. is making us forget about the linebacker position. Armstead isn't gonna be able to keep it up much longer, and his contract runs out at next seasons end. A couple of prospects, Mike Boulware and Teddy Lehman, are projected 2nd round picks and should be around when were on the clock in round 2. I remember Sports Illustrated ranked Lehman and Boulware in the top 10 defensive players in the nation in the preseason. In fact, I read that Lehman ran a 4.38, which is amazing for a linebacker. Depending on what happens during Free Agency, you think we should take a look at these guys in the 2nd round? I certainly think so.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:29 pm

Armstead was our best linebacker last year. That's really good considering we have LaVar and Jeremiah Trotter. Speaking of Trotter, he hasn't been used right with the Skins since signing with us. This year will be his breakout year with us. You're also forgetting we have Clifton Smith. Smith had 136 tackles for Syracuse in 2002. He is a very capable backup with a very bright future ahead of him. He will probably better than Lehman and just as good, if not better than Boulware. Mark my words, Smith will be something to watch for in training camp and in the future.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

---------

Postby redskins56 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:47 am

Jake, on what grounds are you calling Jessie Armstead are best linebacker last season. Not statistically. He finished behind both L.A. Nation and Jeremiah Trotter this season in tackles...

He is a veteran savvy guy, who is a big time help to have around in the locker room, and does great things on the field, but I wouldn't say he was our best linebacker last season.

Clifton Smith is very talented I agree, but while we are talking about linebackers to watch.... Let me go on record by saying, wherever Antonio Pierce goes, whenver he actually gets a shot, he is going to be very productive for a long time. He was great when he got legit play time a few seasons ago. He is good at reading and reacting, and he has the perfect LB mentality... He waits all week to knock someones headoff on the kickoff team, and when he gets to play consistently on defense, he will make the most of his chance... I remember that he was suspended at the end of last season, and know that his future is in question, but where ever he resurfaces, he will be a quallity ball player...

-GEEPZ
-________________________________
Pierce and Smith are learning from a beast

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:23 am

Whatever, I still think if Clifton and Antonio are as talented as you guys say they are, the Skins would have definitely switched to a 3-4 defense, especially last year when we had horrible defensive tackles. But about the 3-4... How about it this year with Lehman, Boulware, or maybe even Jonathan Vilma if he actually slips that far. I dont think theres an argument that Vilma is better than Clifton and Antonio.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:36 am

Armstead had over 100 tackles last year. Am I wrong? He was the most consistent LB on the team last season and Arrington and Trotter were out of position most of the time. I think Armstead was not nearly as scrutinized last year as Trotter and Arrington, which is a good thing. Whenever I heard anything about the linebackers struggling, Armstead was not mentioned in the criticism, just LA and JT.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:07 am

I do think that we need to start looking to add depth to our linebacking corp. We have three great guys, but two are aging and won't be around in three or four years. It would be great to start giving guys a shot to see who will stick with this team. BUT! This is not our most pressing need! This draft we will only have four picks. I think that we need to use all four of those picks to fill positions of immediate need. We all know what those are. Next year when we have 7 picks we can start worrying about depth and "the next class."

I also think that there are other areas where we need to worry about depth before we worry about our linebacking corp. We need depth in the secondary desparetly. We could use more depth on the O-line and, depending on what happens in the Draft and FA market, the D-Line. We basically have NO TE's that will work in Gibbs offense.

Long story not so short! We have many areas of need before we add to our Linbacking Corp.

Chad

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:51 am

I agree Chad - to me the DL is the most important thing we have going. I understand the point about depth on the LB corps, but we have 3 good backups, 2 of them young.

DL is a massive problem though and without it the LBs can't do their jobs right making the safeties vulnerable cause they have to come up and support the run defense...
Rich in Roanoke

Joe's#1Fan

Re: Michael Boulware and Teddy Lehman.

Postby gibbsfan » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:46 pm

Redskins4Life wrote:I think all this focus that people are emphasizing on the D Line, and RB, safety, etc. is making us forget about the linebacker position. Armstead isn't gonna be able to keep it up much longer, and his contract runs out at next seasons end. A couple of prospects, Mike Boulware and Teddy Lehman, are projected 2nd round picks and should be around when were on the clock in round 2. I remember Sports Illustrated ranked Lehman and Boulware in the top 10 defensive players in the nation in the preseason. In fact, I read that Lehman ran a 4.38, which is amazing for a linebacker. Depending on what happens during Free Agency, you think we should take a look at these guys in the 2nd round? I certainly think so.

i would consider the LB position as well,but it all depends on which way joe wants to go tru free agency. that goes for both sides of the ball offense as well as defense. :idea: :idea:
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Postby BALDWISE » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:33 pm

The Draft should always be about the best player available Vs Need only. Imagine passing up Barry, Deion or Bo jackson cause you need a d-line.

Gallery, Taylor and Winslow will all be pro bowlers someday soon and they will all probably be the poster boys for the relative positions.

I would prefer Taylor ....Our Safety's have been weeak.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:43 am

Baldwise - Deion was one of the best at his position, and he did get to a couple of Superbowls. Barry and Bo didn't do squat for their teams though - neither went anywhere and neither did their teams.

On the other hand - with Butz, Grant, Manley and Mann Gibbs won 2 SBs and won a third one with Johnson, Mann, Butz and Geathers. They were both superb lines that made the OL engage them leaving the QB open to blitzes.

Meanwhile we won with 2 fairly unestablished QBs (Williams and Rypien) who hadn't done much before - not to mention Timmy Smith who didn't do anything before or after.

What was consistent on both sides of the ball was the line play. That is the core - and if you don't have top line play on both sides it will be a glaring weakness for all to see - if you need an illustration, see last year.
Rich in Roanoke

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:20 am

BALDWISE wrote:The Draft should always be about the best player available Vs Need only. Imagine passing up Barry, Deion or Bo jackson cause you need a d-line.

Thats been our philosphy for a long time and look what it's gotten us...Gaping holes and glaring weaknesses! The more glamorous posoitions will always get drafted higher, but what good does it do us to get another stud Wide Out?

Back in the days when you would draft the best athlete and then trade them around like kids on a school lot that might have worked. But the way that contracts are written and with the cap implications, it doesn't make much sense, at least not when you have such glaring deficiencies such as we do.

Chad

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:01 am

My draft philosophy is to draft the best player available UNLESS its a position that we're stacked at. For example, I would go against drafting a WR with #5 because we're stacked at that position.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:43 am

I think we do need to think about depth at line backer, but we have GLARING needs that need to be addressed. Armstead is a still good enough to be a starter in this league.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby skins75 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:40 pm

I know that I have said this a million times but why would we not draft Sean Taylor. He can come in and be an immediate impact player. I dont think that there are any players at DE or DT that are worth the #5 pick. And we say trade down then but with who? I know Pittsburgh would love to land either Manning or Roethlisberger but they will be gone by the 3rd pick. Winslow is going to be a pro bowl TE but needs to work on his blocking which means not a JG type of TE (at least at this point). Sean Taylor is bigger and is a better player than Roy Williams was coming out of college. We know what type of impact he has had in Dallas. I know that we can get by with Bowen and Ohalete but how can you pass on Taylor? There are other areas of need but I dont think there is any question that this guy is going to be a super stud.

LaVar_Arringtons_Bitch

Postby LaVar_Arringtons_Bitch » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:40 pm

skins75 wrote:I know that I have said this a million times but why would we not draft Sean Taylor. He can come in and be an immediate impact player. I dont think that there are any players at DE or DT that are worth the #5 pick. And we say trade down then but with who? I know Pittsburgh would love to land either Manning or Roethlisberger but they will be gone by the 3rd pick. Winslow is going to be a pro bowl TE but needs to work on his blocking which means not a JG type of TE (at least at this point). Sean Taylor is bigger and is a better player than Roy Williams was coming out of college. We know what type of impact he has had in Dallas. I know that we can get by with Bowen and Ohalete but how can you pass on Taylor? There are other areas of need but I dont think there is any question that this guy is going to be a super stud.

Right on. I WANT TAYLOR!!!!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010