The Redskins 1st Pick

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Who will be the Redskins 1st draft pick?

S Sean Taylor
43%
DT Tommie Harris
9%
TE Kellen Winslow, Jr.
27%
DE Will Smith
No votes
RB Kevin Jones
7%
DE Kenechi Udeze
9%
RB Chris Perry
No votes
DT Randy Starks
No votes
Someone else (please explain)
5%

Total votes : 44
piggie

Postby noshirtforyou » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:45 pm

KW will want too much money, and will most likely complain about not enough balls going his way like keyshawn did..I don't want to see him in B&G next year.

swine

Postby whomp-em » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:17 pm

noshirtforyou wrote:KW will want too much money, and will most likely complain about not enough balls going his way like keyshawn did..I don't want to see him in B&G next year.

i agree. i'd be worried he'd hold out, then complain about blocking more than being used as a receiver. yes, gibbs would find ways to use K2, but i remember him saying his main goal was to protect the QB. there's no way winslow would get the ball enough to satisfy him.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:31 pm

whomp-em wrote:
noshirtforyou wrote:KW will want too much money, and will most likely complain about not enough balls going his way like keyshawn did..I don't want to see him in B&G next year.

i agree. i'd be worried he'd hold out, then complain about blocking more than being used as a receiver. yes, gibbs would find ways to use K2, but i remember him saying his main goal was to protect the QB. there's no way winslow would get the ball enough to satisfy him.
i disagree for one small(ok, rather large) reason..... KW,sr. his dad will keep him in check. why do you think a day after the soldier comment he was on tv saying, "duhrrr, i'm sorry"? I'll tell you why, cause daddy done pimp slapped the boy. he has a guiding light to follow. KW,sr won't allow him to make any huge career mistakes. after all the kid has the god given ability, as long as he has a mentor to keep his head straight, he could go a long way.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:33 am

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:We keep a couple of the better (?) DTs from last year, bring in Sapp and Adams, who being willing to sign for less to prove something make themselves affordable. We manage to land Darren Howard who wants to prove he can play next to two good DTs and that he recovered from his injury a couple of years ago. We sign Dillon giving up our third round pick. That takes care of a lot of our problems on the team for the moment...

Everyone keeps talking about signing DT's in Free Agency. I don't think this is a realistic proposition. As much as I would love to see Adams and Ted Washington BOTH come to DC I don't really see either of them coming here. If Sapp wants to come...well I don't want him. These guys that you're talking about are all top 5 in thier position. How could we ever afford that with our paltry cap number?

I also remember last year thinking that we would find two DT's in free agency. That didn't get us far.

Great defensive fronts are put together over time. This isn't a plug and play deal. Cohesion may not be as important on the D-line as it is on the O-line, but it's still VERY important.

Also if we keep getting these veteran free agents we are going to be once a gain trying to buy a playoff berth. We'll get an old team, and we won't have any draft picks again next year.

I say we answer our needs through the draft and learn a little patience. We all know that we can't have the best players at every position. So lets draft young talent and teach em' right.

Chad

cwilk627

Redskins First Round Draft Pick

Postby cwilk627 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:54 pm

I believe the Redskins will draft Steven Jackson, RB Oregon, with their first round pick. They need a feature big back, and if one doesn't come to them via free agency, they'll have to get one in the draft. I know some people would prefer Kevin Jones, but nothing I've read rates him ahead of Jackson.

Postby guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:11 pm

Steven Jackson(Oregon St.) is a solid choice if you are going RB. But, we have too many needs that can't all be fixed via free agency. The #5 pick has to be S.Taylor or trade down and take Randy Starks. Think DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE.

1st pick

Postby Countertrey66 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:26 pm

I think if we can trade down a few picks and pick up an extra pick or 2,we should use or 1st pick on a DL.Udeze is my choice.But Harris would be helpful also.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:38 pm

:lol: :explode: :lol: :explode: :lol: :explode: :rock:

Exactly. I dont think Arrington would put up with the crap after everything he has done for this team :wink:
Last edited by redskincity on Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

swine

Postby whomp-em » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:44 pm

hailskins666 wrote:i disagree for one small(ok, rather large) reason..... KW,sr. his dad will keep him in check. why do you think a day after the soldier comment he was on tv saying, "duhrrr, i'm sorry"? I'll tell you why, cause daddy done pimp slapped the boy. he has a guiding light to follow. KW,sr won't allow him to make any huge career mistakes. after all the kid has the god given ability, as long as he has a mentor to keep his head straight, he could go a long way.

i can see your line of reasoning, and i kind of agree, but i'm still not sold on K2. great athlete, definitely. and he'd undoubtedly help this team. but if he needs his dad to keep him in check then that's a problem. he's young and says dumb stuff (didn't we all?), and there's no guarantee his attitude would change under Gibbs. even with his dad it might or it might not. because if he wants the ball and isn't getting it, his dad may tell him to shut it but he'll still be unhappy. and that leads to bad things. it's just like any other draft pick i guess - it's all speculation until you get him on the team and find out what he'd do. shoot, i'd honestly love to have him on the team, but i just think the 'skins would be better served using the pick elsewhere.

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:40 am

Winslow would not be my pick at 5 that would be Sean Taylor, but if the Skin's take Winslow so long as the Redskins win he won't complain. If he did Gibbs will take care of that. I also wouldn't mind if we could trade down some and get an extra pick or 2 we have a few needs.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

scooter

Postby Scooter » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:28 pm

I'm in the vast minority - but I think Taylor and Winslow will be gone by #5. My pick is Steven Jackson - RB from Oregon State. I've seen him play live and several games on TV. Pure stud! If either of the other two fall to us - great too. But I think Jackson is the best to come out in a long time - a bit like LT in San Diego - but I think he's a bit more talented and better between the tackles... and that's saying a lot!

swine

Hell No to Sapp!

Postby FootLongHog » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:14 pm

I see two options: draft Taylor and pick a smallish but quick DE in the 2nd (there are a few), a TE in the 3rd or 4th (whichever we have), and a RB and DT in FA.

or we trade down with NE - grab Udeze or Smith, draft perry with the next pick, and a TE (Watson Troupe or the guy from Utah)with our 3rd pick, and then sign Adams and another DE (kearse, in a perfect world) in FA.

Sapp is a fat turd, i don't want him on my team.

wouldn't mind a decent C either.
No matter what they say, it's never large enough!

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:18 pm

Even though I'm a VT fan I have to agree with Scooter about S.Jackson. If we go RB I would rather have SJ than KJ. I watched Jones all year and he is going to be explosive but, Jackson is better suited for power football. He will be a stud for someone. :D

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:21 pm

Isn't Jackson 6'3? In which case he'd be more like Eddie George..Those big guys take some mean hits!!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:27 pm

They do take hits but, Jackson doesn't run upright like George. He's runs with a lower center of gravity...similar to Ricky Williams. :D

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010