the third pre season game

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

the third pre season game

Postby REDSKINMARK » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:27 pm

Let's hope this weekend game, with the Ravens, is played better than the last two this pre-season. I love Spurrier's offensive mind, however, the jury is still out as to whether this team can catch and tackle effectively. And those Special Teams...oh those special teams!!!!!
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:30 am

I hear ya brother!!!

I'm watching for just a couple of things tonight...

... how Dockery does in there as a starter. He's a rookie, so I'm not expecting him to set me on my ear, but it'll be interesting to see how he deals with starting calibre defensive linemen.

... David Leaverton. We need him to kick Barker out of a job.

... Holsey and Haley. While the rumor is that trade talks for Lional Dalton have resumed... I want to see what these two are going to be able to do if that is the predicament we are put in. they've had another week to get comfortable now. I'm anxious to see Chase too, but I'll give him a week or two to settle in and learn the system a little before I pass any judgements there.

... and Special Teams... oh those special teams. I watched Chad Morton a lot when I was at camp. This guy is so quick and so explosive that if he can't pile up some ST return yardage... next year when I go to camp, I'm trying out for ST. We have to BLOCK some guys for crying out loud. put Terrell back out there... he was a ST demon before he started trying to impersonate a starting safety.

The only other thing I'm hoping for is to get through the game without any injuries.

Go Skins!

HTTR
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:07 am

Martin Chase knows the defensive system pretty well from when he was in Baltimore with Marvin Lewis in '98 and '99. We pretty much have the same system. I hope the defensive lineman that we have show the stuff we're looking for.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:11 am

It would be a relief if Chase did come in and make an impact since he is familiar with the system. I still refuse to take too much out of these preseason games but since this is the first one I can actually watch in Tampa I hope to see some consistency on both sies of the ball.

I can't help but think about the fiasco a few years ago when we made Art Modell park in the satellite parking lot...then didn't even hook him up with a decent ride. haha. I think he said he'd never come back.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:56 am

Well whadda ya think Boss?

I think Holsey and Haley did fairly well stopping the run, special teams did better, Dockery got to play the iron man role, starting the whole game as I heard Bostic joshing about there at the end. The only thing I don't know was how did Leaverton do, and did Barker do well?

Jake, how did McCants do?

SkinsFanNo9, do you think Betts gets held up for trade fodder now that McCullough is coming on strong? I still maintain that that kid should get a shot with the first string OL to see what he can do versus starters.
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:33 am

I think Holsey and Haley did fairly well stopping the run, special teams did better, Dockery got to play the iron man role, starting the whole game as I heard Bostic joshing about there at the end. The only thing I don't know was how did Leaverton do, and did Barker do well?

Well how can you say anything bad about the DT's when they only allowed 35 yards rushing? the Ravens were bad... really bad. So I don't know how much you can take out og H&H's performances other than to say they played a heckuva preseason game. Am I comfortable going the whole year with them? Not even close yet.

I think we got good value in the Chase pickup and i hope that he can step in and start. I'd still like to see another DT signed and have the luxury of figuring out which one of these DT's goes to the practice squad... we certainly can't keep Holsey, Haley, Cannida, Jackson, Scott, Chase and Cowsette.

With Wynn, Smith, Upshaw, Zellner and L. Jackson probable at DE, we will probably keep 5 DT's as well. I think it'll be Chase, Holsey, Haley, Cowsette, and Cannida with Cannida being the one dropped if we sign another DT. B. Jackson AND Scott might BOTH get sent to the practice squad as both can play either DE or DT and make good utility players. (Not sure if both are eligible for PS or not)

As for the kicking game, Barker definitely won the first battle last night. He kicked very well actually, with one 58 yarder that put his 3 punt average at over 52 yards. That would win just about any kicking contest. But it's only one game. Leaverrton aslo had 3 punts for a 42 yard average with a long of 45.

Dockery, what can I say... I love the guy and really hope that he can push Fiore into a battle with Moore for the center spot. Irregardless, he proved he can play (albeit a preseason game) and that gives us great depth on the o-line. They were a force last night. With probably 9-10 o-line roster spots up for grabs, Samuels, Jansen, Thomas, Fiore, Moore, Friedman, Dockery, are a real nice compliment. I'd (personally) add Wilbert Brown and Brad Bedell with Akil Smith getting that 10th spot if it exists. Pita Elisara will be a tough cut though. With only 5 PS spots though, I can't see one of them going to the o-line with such built in good depth. It breaks my heart to not mention Tre Johnson until an afterthought, but his inability to play so far makes it tough to set a roster spot for him. With Thomas, Fiore, Friedman, and Dockery already taking up 4 guard spots... there just won't be room. I've always loved Tre man. It'd be nice to find a way to keep him around for his attitude, leadership and team ethics. he'd be a great mentor to Derrick 'The Condominium' Dockery too.

I'll send more thoughts throughout the day... just real busy.

Kudos to skinsfanno9 for not only providing such great coverage, but continuing to do so throughout the entire game. Virtual beer for you buddy. Cheers!

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:14 pm

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:SkinsFanNo9, do you think Betts gets held up for trade fodder now that McCullough is coming on strong? I still maintain that that kid should get a shot with the first string OL to see what he can do versus starters.

I would trade Betts at this point. I still think he has the potential to be an awesome back but I'm comfortable with what I see and think Sultan can be truly special. Trading Betts for a top quality DT would be a good idea at this point I think.

Also, although McCants only got one catch, it was a thing of beauty, basically up for grabs with three people and he came away with it AND got away from the blockers.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:04 pm

Also, although McCants only got one catch, it was a thing of beauty, basically up for grabs with three people and he came away with it AND got away from the blockers.

... and he's the only one on the staff other than Gardner that probably would have made the catch. I think the tough catches in tight coverage are the reason we have to keep McCants. He's the only one that can fill in for Gardner if he gets hurt.

If the deal was right for Betts and it was a bonafide DT starter, I'd pull the trigger. Canidate can foot the bill at RB, and Morton can be the third down back. Watson's a solid backup. I'm still not convinced that we don't need a short yardage solution, but last night Trung was getting those tough gains and it's hard not to root for both Rock Cartwright and Bryan Johnson to get some extra playing time. Where's Gerald Riggs ? :-)

I think if we cam just add a DT, we'd have a really solid playoff contender. Our only holes would be safety and punter and Barker boomed the ball last night.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:08 pm

McCants did good with his one catch. He got screwed on the INT w/ the bad throw (by Wuerffel, I think). He better make the team or there'll be a riot! :-) My mom and I met his dad, He sat a few feet away from us. He looks like his brother.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football