I want to be a Quarterback But...

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:58 pm

diesel44 wrote:Who is the biggest (tallest & heaviest) QB in the history of the NFL-? Culpeper?
the pilsbury 'throw boy'. forget his name but he's like 6-6, 270. :shock: jared lorenzen, i think.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby curveball » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:11 pm

IIRC, Dan McGwire was 6'8" or 6'9". QB for the Seahawks for a few years and Mark's brother.
This space reserved for BTP......If he ever wins it.

Hog

Postby Primetime42 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:30 pm

Clinton Portis wrote:
Wysocki wrote:
Clinton Portis wrote:...I'm a wide receiver mostly because I take hits, but I don't really enjoy being a wide receiver unless I get the ball a lot (which I don't).

hmmmmmm....this complaint reminds me of someone... [-X :)

Well the to tell the truth :roll:

I hate not getting the ball, which is why I hate being a WR.

I believe I have big play explosiveness (who doesnt believe that?) And I should get the ball more.

But being a QB I have control. Being a WR you have to wait for someone to give you a shot at making a play, at QB its your JOB to make plays.

I can't possibly see the joy in being a WR when you don't get the ball, because you work hard, you run routes, you get open....

only to be overlooked for the other guy.
I didn't get to play offense until my senior year.

When you think about it, WR is one of most joyous positions you can play, even when you don't get the ball.

Think about it...on running plays, you get to pop the guy in front of you in the mouth...straight up, run him into the ground. If the play goes wide side, you get to blindside him. If you go out for a pass but don't get looked at, take out the safety.

Also, to me, the best part about being a WR is when you catch the ball and DO get popped...cuz each time that happened to me I got right up and give the ol' first down signal.

My point is, as a receiver, you have to pull your own weight and help the team before you help yourself. Then it will be rewarding.[/img]
"He's a playmaker, that's his label. They used to have strong safeties, but now they got another position: They're called playmakers." -Terence Newman on Roy Williams

Hog

Postby Primetime42 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:33 pm

curveball wrote:IIRC, Dan McGwire was 6'8" or 6'9". QB for the Seahawks for a few years and Mark's brother.
Hmmmmm
"He's a playmaker, that's his label. They used to have strong safeties, but now they got another position: They're called playmakers." -Terence Newman on Roy Williams

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:28 pm

Primetime42 wrote:
curveball wrote:IIRC, Dan McGwire was 6'8" or 6'9". QB for the Seahawks for a few years and Mark's brother.
Hmmmmm

Uh-oh. Somebody is running for Congress !!!! ROTFALMAO
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:20 am

hailskins666 wrote:the pilsbury 'throw boy'. forget his name but he's like 6-6, 270. :shock: jared lorenzen, i think.
J-Lo was an excellent QB in college.

I remember I missed the first couple home games of 2002 and the first one I got too was the Kentucky game... Boy, that was a bad day. Have you ever seen a DB hanging onto a QB for dear life as the QB moved around before throwing? I did that day.

Boy, thank God he lost like 15-30 pounds on Atkins. He really was proficient moving around after that. I'd take J-Lo on almost any college team.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:30 am

Nice Avatar Smith, I see you changed it.

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:16 pm

I decided every once in a while I will keep you updated on what I did, to better myself as a player.

4/28/05

I was watchin NFL Network today and it showed me all the footwork on QBs. It was really helpful to me. Now that I know the proper steps I can throw deeper and with a better spiral.

I think what makes me a good quarterback prospect is the fact that I'm a perfectionist. I won't stop until every ball I throw is a spiral. I remember a few months back when I made the decision of becoming a Quarterback that I could only throw so far. Usually it was ugly (caused by me going back to far with my elbow and bending my body back). Once I corrected my steps, I could throw cleaner, and a bit farther.

I hope after doing some more strengh training, I can become the passer I would like to be, which is one that can throw at least 50+ yards.

I think my skills (accuracy, tight spiral) are much better suited for a west coast offense. A offense that emphasizes to much deep throwing probaly isnt for me.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:38 pm

...Um... Never heard of a QB running the West Coast in high school as a first year QB... And... Um... Yeah. Also, you don't just become a QB because you "decided one day" to be a QB.

No offense, but you need to realize maybe someone else on the team has also tried hard to be a QB over the years and played back in Junior High as well as being a bit better as a QB physically than you.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:20 pm

jeez dont crush his dreams

p.s. steroids work Image
XVII XXII XXVI

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:45 pm

Smithian wrote:...Um... Never heard of a QB running the West Coast in high school as a first year QB... And... Um... Yeah. Also, you don't just become a QB because you "decided one day" to be a QB.

No offense, but you need to realize maybe someone else on the team has also tried hard to be a QB over the years and played back in Junior High as well as being a bit better as a QB physically than you.

Well how do you become one then? I mean when you play football, you have to take a preference to one position or another. I mean I didn't just wake up and say ooooh QB would be cool you know. I went through all the position I would have liked to play, and really I only liked being a Quarterback.

The last part kinda stung. But nobody else in the school wants to be a Quarterback. Everyones way too obsessed with being in the next T.O or the next Randy Moss. Since there is such a depletion of QBs, I decided to step up to the plate. Cause once this season is over, the 1st Stringer this year leaves! Who's does that leave the team with? I just want to be the guy who steps up and does stuff for the team.

Which is why our team hasn't been doing so hot...way to maybe people care more about themselves than the team..
In Refrence to the West Coast thing...I was just saying I'd rather pass shorter than farther...just something I'm better at.

I mean, I might not be the most physically gifted guy you'd ever see take snaps from center, but I've got heart,determination and work ethic.

I don't like having to refute your post, but I felt a bit slighted by the last part, however, I completely respect your opinion.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:13 am

Well, don't count out a Junior High QB not coming in and benching you. In Fort Smith, atleast, we just had Kodi Burns come in from Kimmons Junior High and take the Northside Grizzlies to the playoffs stunning Southside who were torn apart by them.

If I were you, before I started talking about playing QB next year, I would go around your team and ask little kids if there is any great ninth grade wonders.

Yes, I am mean and jealous.

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:35 am

Smithian wrote:
Yes, I am mean and jealous.

Heh.

It would be impossible for a 9th Grade Wonder to Bench Me, because He'd be playing JV.

Just a quick question though, what position did you play? You said you were a bench warmer? Did someone replace you?

Also I don't know so much about playing "next year".

I'm only going to be able to play my Senior Season most likely, this season just playing mop up duty to the Starter.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sun May 01, 2005 1:05 am

I play DT and OG.

Also, unles syour school has some rule, a 10th grader can always start for the team.

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Sun May 01, 2005 9:48 am

Smithian wrote:I play DT and OG.

Also, unles syour school has some rule, a 10th grader can always start for the team.

He'd have to be extremly athletic to play Varsity his 10th grade year.

But i'll see what your sayin. I'll watch out for someone like that.

Return to Football 101