What Ever Happened to the Run & Shoot Offense

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
#######

What Ever Happened to the Run & Shoot Offense

Postby The Hogster » Tue May 10, 2005 7:31 pm

Might sound funny, but remember when the "Run & Shoot" was the hot new offense to run. The Houston Oilers probably ran it the best in the early 1990's. Does anyone think that a revival or variation of the Run & Shoot would work for a team in today's NFL?
SPIT HAPPENS!!

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Tue May 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Forget about the Run N Shoot.

It's 2005, year of the "Cock N Gun" :lol:
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue May 10, 2005 8:35 pm

ROTFALMAO "Block & Run" is what we needed to do when he was here. I guess he realized there was no "Fun" in the "Fun & Gun" so he replaced it with........nevermind. =;
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue May 10, 2005 9:41 pm

air_hog wrote:Forget about the Run N Shoot.

Cock and Fire
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Tue May 10, 2005 10:12 pm

1niksder wrote:
air_hog wrote:Forget about the Run N Shoot.

Cock and Fire

See, I'm not even cool enough for it.

Dab Nabitt!
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Tue May 10, 2005 10:33 pm

Buddy Ryan called it "Chuck & Duck", didn't he ?
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Hog

Postby General Failure » Wed May 11, 2005 3:17 am

Buddy was always a cunning linguist.
I got your number. I steal your thunder. I got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm.

Hog

Postby Primetime42 » Wed May 11, 2005 9:14 am

I ran the Run & Shoot in high school. :oops:
"He's a playmaker, that's his label. They used to have strong safeties, but now they got another position: They're called playmakers." -Terence Newman on Roy Williams

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Wed May 11, 2005 9:17 am

tcwest10 wrote:Buddy Ryan called it "Chuck & Duck", didn't he ?

I don't know about Buddy Ryan calling it that, but I do know Sonny Jurgeson called it that.
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat May 14, 2005 6:24 pm

Richie Petibon probably called it "lunch".

During the 1991 season, when the run&shoot was thought to be unstoppable:

Sep 1 W 45-0 vs Detroit Lions
Nov 3 W 16-13 vs Houston Oilers (OT)
Nov 10 W 56-17 vs Atlanta Falcons

Jan 4 W 24-7 vs Atlanta Falcons (1st round playoffs)
Jan 12 W 41-10 vs Detroit Lions (NFC Championship)

Totals: Redskins: 182 Run & shoot: 47

Average: Redskins: 36.4 Run & shoot: 9.4

Playoffs average: Redskins: 32.5 Run & Shoot: 8.5

(Note that the Falcons playoff was played in a rainstorm, causing Gibbs to eliminate the long-passing game. As a memory-jogger, that was the game in which fans frisbeed yellow seat-covers down at The Great All Star Neon Deion Sanders as he waited for a kickoff.)

Conclusion? The R&S will not work in the NFL.

Domin8

Postby SKINZ_DOMIN8 » Sun May 22, 2005 9:29 am

Run and shoot is good on Madden.
***Poster of the Year*** Hail to the Redskins. Everything else is inferior. Guess who's not a HOMER on this site.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun May 22, 2005 2:44 pm

SKINZ_DOMIN8 wrote:Run and shoot is good on Madden.

And the pass-happy Tecmo Superbowl (I always ran the ball anyway). Though I think that Tecmo came out before teams began routinely destroying the Run and Shoot.

Question: could the R&S have facilitated the end of the "read and react" era of defenses and helped bring us into an era of much more aggressive, attacking style of play? It seems like one of the best answers to a consistent 5 lineman / 4 receiver set is a few well timed/aimed blitzes down the middle and tough play on the receivers.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:12 pm

Question: could the R&S have facilitated the end of the "read and react" era of defenses and helped bring us into an era of much more aggressive, attacking style of play? It seems like one of the best answers to a consistent 5 lineman / 4 receiver set is a few well timed/aimed blitzes down the middle and tough play on the receivers.

Interesting question, FFA.

- We know that Buddy Ryan made the NFL notice the all-blitz-all-the-time 46 defense in '85, although, I think the Bears had used it in '84.

- We also know that the R&S Lions humiliated Dave Wannstadt's Dallas defense in the playoffs after the '91 season. On every play, there was one Detroit receiver open somewhere. I don;t know what defense the Cowboys were playing, but it was not the right one (note: that's a joking paraphrase of Richie Petibon. Reporter: Richie, how can your Redskins possibly stop an offense that beat the Cowboys so badly? Petibon: I don't know, but I guess we won't do what Dallas did.)

- Petibon, Pardee, and George Allen -- they're like a family in defensive coaching -- were always mixing attack with react, changing the look of their defense as the offense broke huddle: in general, making the offense read and react to them, rather than the reverse.

- So...I don't know. I know that the first play in the Lions/Redskins NFC Championship was a crushing sack on Erik Kramer by THE Charles Mann. Kramer fumbled, the team of destiny recovered, scored a TD, and the game was over. I can't remember if the Redskins blitzed, although I remember that Mann rushed past Barry Sanders so fast that it looked like Sanders was waving "hello / good-bye". That suggests Sanders was looking at someone else, so maybe it was a blitz.

- A real defensive coaching expert would have to answer this definitively.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:56 pm

FanfromAnnapolis wrote:Question: could the R&S have facilitated the end of the "read and react" era of defenses and helped bring us into an era of much more aggressive, attacking style of play?

As long as you have an indestructible TERMINATOR as a QB! :roll:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

piglet

Postby butzadams » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:23 am

Protection problems KILLED IT!

The biggest problem was protecting the A gap playside when the LB being blocked by the back dogged the A gap. Because the QB was on a tight roll out to that side, it was difficult for the RB to clear the QB and get to the A gap dogger. If the PST and PSG squeezed to the dogger, then the RB was blocking a big DE who was in the face of the QB on the tight roll. When June Jones, Gilbride, and some others ran the offense, they eliminated the tight roll which made protecting the A gap easier.

Return to Football 101