Counter Trey?

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
+++++++++

Counter Trey?

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:49 pm

Hey guys,

I'm too young to know much about Coach Gibbs, but what exactly is this "counter trey" play I keep hearing about? could someone help me out?

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:50 pm

See the "pulling guard" thread. That essentially the play where a guard pulls out and runs right or left to lead the way for Riggins...I mean...our RB!
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:36 am

That's pretty much it.

The term counter mean a play starts one way...say right then ends up going left. Trey means three lineman are leading the way. If you watch any of the old Skins game on ESPN you'll see it.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:12 pm

DEHog, I thought it was two linemen - not meaning to contradict... I thought it was the left guard and tackle pulling right, or vice versa depending on which way it went.
Rich in Roanoke

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:14 pm

I thought it was two linemen as well. Maybe the "trey" stands for the 2 linemen and the RB?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:42 am

I thought it was two lineman and TE ??? I could be wrong??

Good to see ya back SfaninR!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:55 am

hehehe... had to do a trade show in Atlanta - took all week - I was so busy I didn't have time to do anything besides work the show and sleep...
Rich in Roanoke

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:58 am

AH OK,
Yea I'm doing the same thing next week...will be in Dallas for two days then on to Chicago for 4 days so I'll be off the board for a while.

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:40 am

Your right about the 2 linemen DEHog and Skinsfan..On the counter trey the Center, Guard and Tackle on one side blocks down while the RB fakes goingthe same direction as the blocks. While all this is going on the other Guard and Tackle pull to the opposite side of the line and the RB cuts back behind them and gets the handoff. The G and T take out anything in thier way, hopefully a saftey and CB and the RB takes the ball to the house. Depending on formation the H-back or TE could also be blocking at the point of attack.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:18 am

Gosh, seeing as how I've never seen this in action before it sounds like a pretty slow play to get working.

So the tackle, guard and center all block right, the halfback fakes right then heads left behind the left guard and tackel who are split out from the line and start lead blocking, then the halfback runs to daylight following the fullback or tight end? Whew, luckily we have skilled offensive line, a good blocking FB and with ANY luck we'll have a brilliant TE named Kellen Winslow Jr. :-)

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:42 pm

Oh my, the visions of 68 (Grimm) and 66 (Jacoby) pulling around and leading 44 to open greenness of football field.

***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:46 pm

Oh my, the visions of 68 (Grimm) and 66 (Jacoby) pulling around and leading 44 to open greenness of football field.
then to have 44 drag a dolphin ten yds only to break free for a TD..... ok i'm not exactly sure that particular play was a counter trey, but it sounded good, huh?
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:47 pm

hailskins666 wrote:
then to have 44 drag a dolphin ten yds only to break free for a TD..... ok i'm not exactly sure that particular play was a counter trey, but it sounded good, huh?

If sure does. The play, however, was 70 Chip.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:52 am

So it is a 2 man pull... ok... just wanted to make sure I remembered it right :)

The TE and the FB seal off the backside and the LT and LG pull to the right knocking the cleats off of anyone downfield wanting to set his sights on our runner - I like that thinking :)

I bet PRam likes that too - I still say our backs that we have on the roster would perform much better this year under Gibbs given the opportunity to run behind his run block schemes and consistent game planning of the run game. SOS was so on again off again on the run game it isn't a surprise that no back did well consistently... give 'em a chance I say - imagine Trung's speed behind the counter trey - right after the guys engage the blockers, Trung pops out and scoots down the sidelines outracing the poor safety who took a bad angle coming up on run support...
Rich in Roanoke

scalperdude

Postby scalperdude » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:41 pm

IN THE MASTER OF GETTING THE MOST OUT THE OFFENSIVE LINE.BACK IN THE DAYS JOE JACOBY WAS THE FIRST LINE TO COME AROUND THE CORNER(RIGHT SIDE) LIKE A RODE GRADER.
IN THE FOURTH QUARTER ,OPPOSING DEFENSES WOULD JUST FADE.
SACLPERDUDE

(moved by BH)

Return to Football 101