Our First Round Draft Pick

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:04 am

I wouldn't have a problem with drafting Winslow, but I think Taylor would have a greater impact in the long run. In Gibbs offense the TE/H-back is important, but you don't have to have All-Pro's. Didier,Warren,Walker,Orr were not All-Star's just solid players.
Taylor's impact could actually lead to more points for the offense. If He got say 4 int's and forced 3 fumble's that were to lead to 40-50 extra points. That could be the difference between 5-11 and 9-7.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:49 pm

There are strong cases being made for Winslow and Taylor.

Let's face it: It's a win/win situation for us if they are both available when we pick at #5.
We can entertain 'trade down' offers: There are going to be teams hungry to move up and grab both of these players. If we moved 2-8 spots down, we could pick up an additional pick or two and still get a playmaker or a much needed DT/DE.
Or we can use the choice. Question is do you want the guy with Kellen Winslow Sr. potential or the guy with Ronnie Lott potential?
I would take Taylor because he is faster than some CB's in the NFL and he's as big as some LB's. He would be a disruptive force in the pass rush(Blitzing), He is a ballhawk (9 int's-2003), and he can cover like a corner.
I know Winslow would be great for the offense as well. That's why it's a great position for the Skins to be in. I bet Greg Williams is Sean Taylor's biggest promoter. My 2 cents

West Coast HOG

Postby West Coast HOG » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:53 pm

For all you Winslow Jr supporters I have 4 words for you. Jeremy Shockey, Tony Gonzalez. Having Shockey sure didn't get it done for the Giants last year. And yes, the chiefs were good, but because of Trent Green and P Holmes. The Chiefs sucked for a lot of years with Gonzo alone. And look at the turn around under the Tuna. It ain't from the offense. We need to draft a DT. Probably trade down and get something, and take Udeze from USC, Tommy Harris from Ok, or Wilfolk from Miami. Give our current secondary a chance to perform, by putting some pressure on the QB and stopping the run.

Dan Clark

Draft

Postby Dan Clark » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:47 am

i totally disagree with the pick of winslow even though he will become the best recieving tight end n football. he dosent fit in well with the joe gibbs style offense. I would take the pick and trade it down for 2 lower pick about mid range and pick up a solid 3 down running back like kevin jones or chris perry that could possibly have an immedite impact in the nfl. they r both in my opinion tied for the best backs in this years draft but probally wont be taken in the top ten one might but not both either way we will have solid impact from both. with and if i would get a second pick i would get a defensive lineman. those are the two big areas of need going into the draft we can pick up an alright tightend through free agency that will better suit the gibbs style of offense. another thing to look out for this season is the play of taylor jacobs. with him and gardner and coles they are the next posse and the combination of the three with a solid runner will be playoff time in washington next season.

West Coast Hog

Postby West Coast Hog » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:20 am

I don't think you'll get 2 mid first rounders for the number 5 pick. Maybe a 1st and 2nd rounder. Perry might actually slide to the 2nd round thought. I think your right on what the two picks need to be, but I think we need to draft a star DT, not a star RB. Gibbs can make a good RB into a great one, but DT is more based on talent. I'm sure we all remember Timmy Smith. For those of you that don't, he holds the record for rushing yards in a superbowl(playing for Gibbs). Was he a star, no. I believe he was the 2nd or 3rd RB on the squad. I think we can get a usable RB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Maybe even Maurice Clarett (Maybe too risky, but I'd love to see it anyway)

swine

Postby FootLongHog » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:27 pm

I like the risky pick of clarett in the third, and i like udeze with the pick we get when we trade down. pickup watson with another pick, add kearse and we win the division.

KW is a prick, who wants another Miami player (a la Sapp and Shockey) who doesn't know when to shut their neanderthalesque faces, and who complains all the time.

i don't see any argument against taylor though, he's better than roy.
No matter what they say, it's never large enough!

Postby Brandon777 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:05 pm

West Coast Hog wrote:I don't think you'll get 2 mid first rounders for the number 5 pick. Maybe a 1st and 2nd rounder. Perry might actually slide to the 2nd round thought. I think your right on what the two picks need to be, but I think we need to draft a star DT, not a star RB. Gibbs can make a good RB into a great one, but DT is more based on talent. I'm sure we all remember Timmy Smith. For those of you that don't, he holds the record for rushing yards in a superbowl(playing for Gibbs). Was he a star, no. I believe he was the 2nd or 3rd RB on the squad. I think we can get a usable RB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Maybe even Maurice Clarett (Maybe too risky, but I'd love to see it anyway)
Maurice Clarett? I hope to God not!!!
Let us all gather around and drink the Cooley-Aid of the Redskins.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010