So what got sorted in the Jags game?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

So what got sorted in the Jags game?

Postby BossHog » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:25 am

Well obviously last night's game wasn't for anything but evaluating a few positions. I thought...

Other than 4 sacks... Danny Wuerffel did very well. Much maligned, but always a true professional, I think it' great having DW around to help Patrick out...

... because P-Ram stunk the joint out last night in his limited time. no biggie... just you'd like to see the starters have established a bit of a flow in there limited action... but there was none last night.

Peppi Zellner had a great game. If smith is going to start at RDE and Wynn at LDE, Peppi is pushing hard to be the one who spells Smith instead of Upshaw. (who had one of his signature dumb penalties last night). Irregardless of what happens, Zellner, Upshaw and L.Jackson give us decent backups and provide us the versatility to move Wynn inside on 3rd and long to create some extra push from the front 4.

John Hall... not much made in the press about how significant is to have brought him in. I personally LOVE not automatically thinking we're going to miss every time we try a FG.

Ade Jimoh had a good game. I presume he's going to be the lucky recipient who makes the squad after dumping Harrison and Molden.

If there was any doubt McCants would make the team, I guess last night settled that too. Anyone notce that he lined up at TE a few times?

None of the RB's had good games. If Betts was on 'the block' last night, I'm sure that he didn't impress enough to make anyone flinch any time soon. James Stewart going down in Detroit may open up an opportunity for a trade with the Lions, and their desperation may allow us to get the second round pick that Betts cost us back. Otherwise... I'd settle for a 3rd rounder in 2004.

I'm really pleased with the way the coaching staff for sitting so many starters and giving the rest of them very little chance to get hurt.

... what were everyone's observations?
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

piglet

Postby redskinfan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:37 am

One big concern i have is some of our recievers.Clifford Russell probably should not play in the NFL.He's played horrible this whole preseason.Now did anyone notice how easy other teams can dump the ball off to the tight end or a running back but WE hardly ever do.Now is that because of our system or is it simply because our guys always seem to be blanketed in coverage.Even with our 2 stringers and the other teams 2 stringers our recievers seem to be completley covered.Is Spurrier's system the type of system that can take a team to the super bowl?Maybe its to technical or not technical enough,who knows.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:58 am

I think that SOS brought nothing but a vanilla version of the offense to EVERY preseason game. A lot of teams run very basic versions of their actual schemes in the preseason so as to not allow teams to game-plan for them later in the year. So i think it's hard to judge the 'technical aspect' of the Fun 'N Gun based on the 2003 preseason.

I think Russell was awesome at practice... just hasn't showed much in the games (when it counts). You can teach a guy to catch a ball, but you can't teach a guy to be as fast as greased lightning... and I think of Russell as our WR project. Coles, Gatrdner and Jacobs will get the lion's share of the WR reps though.

McCants has really stepped up and caught some tough balls in traffic the last few preseason games. He has huge potential IMO, he just needs some playing time. Patrick Johnson also seemed to really respond to the prospect of not making the team and has stepped up his game the last few weeks.

In any case, IMO we're good at WR with Coles, Gardner, Jacobs, McCants, P.Johnson and Russell.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:15 pm

Sometimes, I think David Terrell is scared of tackling. I think we should cut him and give Lott and Ohalete equal time at that position. Ryan McNeil is still available...
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

piggie

Postby Jeff Rhodes » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:31 pm

Couldn't agree with you more about John Hall. This guy is lights out from 40 and in. And when was the last time you saw a Redskin kicker consistently getting the ball to the goal line on kickoffs?

He's worth every penny we're paying him for peace of mind alone.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:44 pm

Ryan McNeil? Older but a hitter.... and can cover fairly well too.... ::scratching chin::

Good thought Jake
Rich in Roanoke

Postby SirBoozer76 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:31 pm

Jeff Rhodes wrote:Couldn't agree with you more about John Hall. This guy is lights out from 40 and in. And when was the last time you saw a Redskin kicker consistently getting the ball to the goal line on kickoffs?

He's worth every penny we're paying him for peace of mind alone.

Oh my friend, I feel for the heartbreak you will have once the regular season comes around. As a Jets fan, I can't tell you how many times we would be on the edge of our seats praying for him to make it. Once he is outside 40 yds you really have a 50-50 shot. As far as reaching the goal line on kickoffs, he set a record with 20 touchbaks a few years ago. But the last few years most of his kicks ended in the 5-10 yd line area. Reading your post just really made me feel sorry for the pain you will experience at times thanks to Hall.

Hog

Postby SirSmizzy » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:58 pm

John hall is about as reliable as a crack head with a shopping list and a pocket full of cash.

Maybe he has recommited himself but hall is far from consistant.
Welcome Home Coles

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:53 am

... it's all about perspective.

I can't say as I know what kind of consistency we'll get out of Hall, but (maybe) you guys are spoiled if you think he's inconsistent.

Because compared to some of the misfits we've had in here over the last few years, Hall is a huge improvement. It's over 5 years that we've had kickers that you were not sure they'd even make PAT's!

'The grass is always greener on the other side' though right?

Hog

Postby redskincity » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:06 am

:roll: plus alot mis-blocks were the reason for most of his misses :?
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:04 am

Remember the playoff game in Tampa? ::shudder::

I remember having to kick field goals on third down so we'd get a second chance if they screwed up the first.

I have looked at Hall's numbers, and compared to what we have had Smizzy, he is a god. I have also seen him kick in person and I haven't seen him miss many if any, even beyond 40 yards in camp.

I was shaking my head in camp - he had a great leg to me. I just hope you end up being wrong :)

Maybe the Meadowlands winds were screwing him up.
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:57 pm

I've seen him in camp...compared to what we had, Hall IS a God. He is awesome. I don't know how he did with the Jets, but Jeeze, this guy is lights out CONSISTENTLY in practice.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football