Hide the booze, send the kids next door, it's an Eagle fan!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piglet

Hide the booze, send the kids next door, it's an Eagle fan!

Postby shorebird » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:34 am

Hello there Hogs. Got an invite from the boss to check this site out. Looks real nice, someone did a lot of work here.

Being from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, I know a lot of Skins fans. Most of them are already talking playoffs for you guys. I just don't see it happening this year. Maybe next year or the year after if Snyder wants to really give Spurrier the time and the players to do what it takes.

But anywayz, I'd like to know the thoughts you all have on a few subjects.

Jeramiah Trotter, do you guys feel he's worth the money you are paying him? Is he as good as advertised? I loved him when he was a Eagle, but a lot of our fans insisted that he was only so good because of the system he was in. He really wasnt' that good against the run in the 4-3, but with the Skins running the 3-4, he's probably better, although it takes away from his tackle stats and keeps him from blitzing as much as he did with the Eagles. Blitzing was a big strength for him with us becuase of his 4.4 speed.

Steve Spurrier, do you guys feel he will be given a real chance to turn it around with this team? Ole' Danny Boy has been quick on the trigger in the past, how long will he wait? I thought Marty Schottenweiner could have done it if he was allowed to bring in players he wanted. He had the track record, he just wasn't given the time. Seemed like his firing was the result of a personality clash.

Rod Gardner, do you feel he can be your number 1 reciever? Is he worth being drafted so high? Personally, after watching him at Clemson, I think he'll excell if he has a good qb to throw to him and is given the playing time, which Spurrier doesn't seem to want to do. When a team is in the position that the Skins are in, how do you not make him your number 1 reciever? I thought thats why they drafted him as high as they did.

Who's your qb this year? Do you think Patrick Ramsey will be given the job? Will Spurrier leave him in? Would he be able to survive without getting injured behind your offensive line?

Just wondering what the Skins fans here think on these subjects. :)
I have a lot of class, it's just all third.

Hog

Postby newshog » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:23 am

Hoi, Eagle fan!

Just wondering what the Skins fans here think on these subjects.

Well, I'll take a crack at 'em.

Most of them are already talking playoffs for you guys. I just don't see it happening this year.

I think it can happen, given our upgrades at key positions. If we could go 7-9 last season with the talent we had then, our upgrades and another year in the system should be good for at least another 3 wins. I expect next year will be our serious run for the big prize, though.

Jeramiah Trotter, do you guys feel he's worth the money you are paying him? Is he as good as advertised? . . . He really wasnt' that good against the run in the 4-3, but with the Skins running the 3-4, he's probably better, although it takes away from his tackle stats and keeps him from blitzing as much as he did with the Eagles.

I think it took Trot some time to pick up the system, but even then he was leading the team in tackles when he was injured. But it's hard to say with only one injury-shortened season as a Redskin whether he was worth the money--give us a couple of years to see how he plays over more of his contract. And I do believe you've been misinformed--we're not running a 3-4 as our base package. We occasionally put one in as a change-up, which we can do with our depth at LB. This year it ought to be even easier, in fact, since Brandon Noble has experience at nose guard.

Steve Spurrier, do you guys feel he will be given a real chance to turn it around with this team? Ole' Danny Boy has been quick on the trigger in the past, how long will he wait? I thought Marty Schottenweiner could have done it if he was allowed to bring in players he wanted. He had the track record, he just wasn't given the time. Seemed like his firing was the result of a personality clash.

I absolutely think SOS will be given every chance to win. The tenor of the FO has changed and they really seem to be going at things with a plan (an oft-mentioned 3-year plan, in fact). SOS is Snyder's top choice and I haven't seen anything but unwavering confidence in the Ol' Ball Coach. I think Snyder's learned a thing or two about the league and will be less prone to the itchy trigger finger. Schotty might have gotten us to the playoffs, but I don't think we ever would have gone all the way--you need somebody with more of a sense of adventure. He was let go because he wouldn't give Snyder more of a say in personnel matters (which was Schotty's prerogative in my opinion, since that was the deal under which he was hired). Plus the fact that Spurrier, Snyder's dream coach from day one, was coming available.

Rod Gardner, do you feel he can be your number 1 reciever? Is he worth being drafted so high?

Well, I think he and Laveranues Coles are basically the interchangeable #1 receivers. Gardner was definitely it last year, catching 1000+ yards in his second year--not bad. And it's only going to get better for him with Coles being the speedster on the other side of the field. But one thing you have to know about the Fun 'n Gun is that it doesn't really have traditionally-slotted receivers (#1 receiver, #2 receiver, etc.). There's a lot of audibling at the line by the QB to change the play depending on the defense that they're being shown, so the go-to guy might end up being the #4 receiver because he's got the best match-up. Gardner and Coles are the top two receivers based primarily on native skill level.

Who's your qb this year? Do you think Patrick Ramsey will be given the job? Will Spurrier leave him in? Would he be able to survive without getting injured behind your offensive line?

Without question, Ramsey is our starter. He's been getting all the reps, the coaches have been praising him, and Rob Johnson came in with the understanding that he was #2 and wouldn't be competing for the #1 spot. I think Spurrier will leave him in through thick and thin, up to the point where Ramsey is actively losing games for us--and I just don't see that happening. He's got too good a head on his shoulders and too good a cannon for an arm. And my friend, have you heard anything about our O-line this year? By the tone of your question, I have to think you haven't. We've got one of the potential top lines of the league this year (with the caveat that of course we haven't seen them play together). But our bookend tackles, Samuels and Jansen, remain tops in the league. We've added two near-All-Pro guards with Randy Thomas and Dave Fiore. Our center from last year, Larry Moore, was solid. And we've got a rookie guard, Derrick Dockery, who is already pushing to be a starter. I don't think Ramsey needs to worry about staying upright. And even if he gets knocked down, he's one of the toughest QBs I've seen (which he learned to be playing behind the seive at Tulane and here last year). It's one of the attributes that most endeared him to his teammates and coach.

Whew--anybody else?

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:39 am

... nice job News Hog. =D>

... and thanks for popping in shorebird.

I would just add that Gardener will flourish as the #2 guy IMO. He'll run a lot of tough patterns into coverage and leave the deep routes to the speedsters L. Coles and P. Johnson.

I've always questioned Gardner's mental abilities slightly, so having a full season in the system will only improve his comfort levels. If he can have the season he had last year (1000+ yards), with fewer penalties for mental mistakes, it'll be a season any receiver would be happy with. He has all the physical tools.

As for our O-line... Ramsey will be looking at the Eagles d-line behind Hogs 2K3 and having enough time to think...
'Man, the Eagles sure miss Hugh Douglas' :lowblow:
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:51 pm

I'll just chime in here for the sake of chimin' in. I was really pleased that the Skins picked up Thomas from the Jets and I think he's one of our best acquisitions this year. Another acquisition made by the Skins that really hasn't been talked up too much is Matt Bowen. I think Bowen is a stud safety and he will do a lot to improve the Redskins secondary.

If the Skins can find a way to secure their defensive line (which worries me most), we'll do just fine this year...
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

piglet

Postby shorebird » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:11 pm

Hey now, I hear ya' newshog. Great post.

I hear ya' about the fun n gun, spreading the ball around and such. I like Coles, but think Gardner is your diamond in the rough.
I know Snyder went all out to get protection for his QB this year, but haven't the Skins signed a lot of pro bowl players before? Maybe it will work out different this year.
I didn't know that Trotter was leading the team in tackles last year when he was hurt. I don't look forward to playing any defense that has him. I wish he had signed with a AFC team.

ooooops, gotta run, I'll be back, this is good covo!
I have a lot of class, it's just all third.

----

Postby HitDoctor » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:18 am

Being in the philadelphia market here in south jersey (medford) let me be the first to say that shorebird seems to be the atypical philly fan. Raises reasonable debate without being nasty (shorebird knows what I'm talking about).

Now, my spin. I bleed burgundy and gold, but the skins did not do enough on defense to lock anything up. Doss was there for the taking draft day and they passed for another receiver. Not good. Mendez is out the door (player personnell) and he is soley responsible for Ramsey still being in the fold (Ramsey's upside is huge and he would have been a Bear had it not been for mendez). Snyder is still way too involved for this team to take shape for the long haul. but time will tell.

Eagle fans have enough to worry about like not being able to take hoagies into the "Linc".
it is what it is

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:08 pm

... yeah, an even keeled Eagle fan... what's with that? :-)

I agree that Doss would have been a nice selection... Jacobs was good value at the pick though. We never seem to draft for need.

I look for good things from Matt Bowen but I think Ohalete's a stretch as a starter. I hope David terrell can return to his old special teams form in his reduced role.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

----

Postby HitDoctor » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:51 pm

If the skins can play balls out football, they can finish 10-6. If they let the scum that is the dallass cowhermaphrodites take one, then 9-7.
it is what it is

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football