Pennington not the reason Coles blossoms

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
sfir

Pennington not the reason Coles blossoms

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:41 pm

Just for those Jets fans sniveling about Pennington being the reason Coles was much better I have some interesting stats for you.

Al Groh left at the end of the 2000 season and Edwards came in to coach, changing the system and recognized LC's speed and catching ability, moving him up in the lineup.

It took two years to get the system in place, with Pennington replacing Testaverde in the second.

However, Coles #'s aren't that dissimilar - just more catches - and that I can attribute to Testaverde being a sucky QB who liked Chrebet better. Here are the #'s

16 games started
59 catches
868 yards
14.7 avg.
40 yds - longest play
7 TD
1 40+ play

16 games started
89 catches
1264 yards
14.1 avg.
43 yds - longest play
5 TD
2 40+ play

I believe that the disparity comes from someone learning a new system, getting comfortable with it, and the QB learning the same new system at the same time in 2001. Pennington has always been much more accurate that Vinny, and had a year under Herm before the 2002 season so came in more comfortable with the scheme on top of that.

Give it a rest guys. You and I all know Coles is a top 20 WR and will be again because Spurrier's passing attack is similar to the West Coast with all of the passing that goes on. One thing that may go up is the 40+ yd plays. In two catches this preseason that really stand out - Coles had one over 40 and one 39 yarder, just missing qualifying.

Any more FACTS you guys want to bring up or haven't you had enough sour grapes to eat on that sour stomach you are bringing to our table?
Rich in Roanoke

piglet

Postby JonEJetsters » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:09 am

Sorry for the double post!!
Last edited by JonEJetsters on Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coles.....Dead
Thomas....Dead
Hall......Dead
Morton....Dead
Spurrier..Fu*k Him

piglet

Postby JonEJetsters » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:09 am

I'm glad you believe yourself!!lol
Coles.....Dead
Thomas....Dead
Hall......Dead
Morton....Dead
Spurrier..Fu*k Him

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:46 am

Coles looks flat out awesome. Ramsey and Coles practiced next to each other virtually all training camp long. I think the chemistry is developing, but as we've seen this preseason, Coles is just flat out awesome. He is both fast AND quick.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football