west coast offense

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:17 am

Thank you all very much - that was about as informative as I have read. We are very fortunate to have such insight available.

Football 101 indeed!

I am actually very humbled - for my 400th!
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Postby Schlereth » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:11 pm

Coryell's offense is often tied to the WCO - but I think that's inaccurate. Anybody can see the difference between the Walsh offense and the Coryell offense. They were both "west-coast" and I think that's were the confusion started.

The Walsh offense is the WCO that most people think of - as you can see in the coaching tree above.

The Coryell is a different offense with it's own coaching tree - Turner, Gibbs, Martz, Vermeil, etc.

Most teams today run highly modified versions of either the Coryell or the Walsh offense, often with elements of both. It's almost unfair to lable offenses because they are so varied.
Mark Shlereth - the best football player produced by the state of Alaska

I am an Eagles fan.

Postby Schlereth » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:55 pm

Here is a good article on the WCO from the Cardinals site:
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_de ... l?iid=3045

Some excerpts:
Former San Francisco 49er Head Coach and Pro Football Hall of Famer Bill Walsh is most often mentioned in the same breath when detailing the ancestry of the West Coast Offense. Walsh cultivated his football acumen at the knees of three legendary football minds—Marv Levy (Cal-Berkeley), John Ralston (Stanford), and Al Davis (Oakland Raiders).

After three years with Levy and Ralston and two with Davis and the Raiders—where among his offensive lineage was the innovations of Sid Gillman—Walsh was hired by Paul Brown with the expansion Cincinnati Bengals in 1968.

During training camp the following year in 1970, Cook suffered a shoulder injury which would effectively end his career, and in stepped Virgil Carter—thirty pounds lighter and three inches shorter than Cook and with an accurate passing arm but nowhere near the strength of his predecessor.

Back to the drawing board for the coaching staff.

Carter was known more for his mobility and ability to pass on the run as well as run the ball—265 yards and four touchdowns rushing as a rookie with the Bears in 1968—so Brown, Walsh and staff devised a game plan to take advantage of those assets. They deviated from the vertical game of Cook and instead implemented an offense based on timing, motion, and shorter pass patterns.

A couple thoughts:
- A semi-myth that surrounds the WCO is that the quarterbacks don't have strong arms. It was designed to compensate for weak arms - as you can see above - but ideally the QB would still have a strong arm. The best WCO quarterbacks today - Farve, McNabb, Vick, Plummer?, etc. have strong arms.

- The real keys to the WCO quarterback are mobility and accuracy. Accuracy especially on the run. McNabb for example is not known as an accurate pocket-passer. But on the run, he is more accurate than most quarterbacks. When I watch classic 49er games with Montana - he was often dealing with a moving pocket and making awkward throws.
Mark Shlereth - the best football player produced by the state of Alaska

I am an Eagles fan.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:16 pm

Schlereth wrote:Here is a good article on the WCO from the Cardinals site:
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_de ... l?iid=3045

Some excerpts:
Former San Francisco 49er Head Coach and Pro Football Hall of Famer Bill Walsh is most often mentioned in the same breath when detailing the ancestry of the West Coast Offense. Walsh cultivated his football acumen at the knees of three legendary football minds—Marv Levy (Cal-Berkeley), John Ralston (Stanford), and Al Davis (Oakland Raiders).

After three years with Levy and Ralston and two with Davis and the Raiders—where among his offensive lineage was the innovations of Sid Gillman—Walsh was hired by Paul Brown with the expansion Cincinnati Bengals in 1968.

During training camp the following year in 1970, Cook suffered a shoulder injury which would effectively end his career, and in stepped Virgil Carter—thirty pounds lighter and three inches shorter than Cook and with an accurate passing arm but nowhere near the strength of his predecessor.

Back to the drawing board for the coaching staff.

Carter was known more for his mobility and ability to pass on the run as well as run the ball—265 yards and four touchdowns rushing as a rookie with the Bears in 1968—so Brown, Walsh and staff devised a game plan to take advantage of those assets. They deviated from the vertical game of Cook and instead implemented an offense based on timing, motion, and shorter pass patterns.

A couple thoughts:
- A semi-myth that surrounds the WCO is that the quarterbacks don't have strong arms. It was designed to compensate for weak arms - as you can see above - but ideally the QB would still have a strong arm. The best WCO quarterbacks today - Farve, McNabb, Vick, Plummer?, etc. have strong arms.

- The real keys to the WCO quarterback are mobility and accuracy. Accuracy especially on the run. McNabb for example is not known as an accurate pocket-passer. But on the run, he is more accurate than most quarterbacks. When I watch classic 49er games with Montana - he was often dealing with a moving pocket and making awkward throws.

It is all timing, though. The QB is counting in his head, and the ball needs to be delivered to different spots on the field for different times.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:00 am

From vincelombardi.com....

2. Paul Brown
Brown was the mastermind behind two great NFL franchises; he got the Cleveland Browns going in 1946 in the AAFC, and took control of he expansion Bengals in 1968. Along the way, Brown's Browns won four AAFC titles and then three NFL championships when they became part of the league in 1950. In 17 years as the head coach of the Browns, he had only one losing season, compiling a 167-53-8 record. Then in eight seasons as head coach of the Bengals, he led the team to three playoff berths. His final NFL coaching record, beginning in 1950, was 166-100-6.

Brown was more than a winner: he was gutsy, signing two black players, Marion Motley and Bill Willis, to play for the Browns in 1946. He also taught Bill Walsh the key ingredients of the West Coast offense, which he'd employed successfully with Otto Graham at QB in the 1940s and 1950s.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:08 pm

This thread deserves to surface, since we have been discussing Zorn, the creation of the WCO, Walsh, Gibbs, and Coryell in Hog Wash.

Just checked the links provided by RiC and they no longer work. Ah, well. That's Internet-time for you.

One, I remember, had a drawing of a tree that showed Walsh descending from Paul Brown's line.

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:24 pm

This is a little late to be arriving at the party, but I came across this on another board and thought it might help those looking for "The Beginning of Everything."

Cheers.

PS: The tree itself is hard to view, but if you're willing to take some time moving around it there is some VERY good info in there.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/v ... 114739.jpg
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 pm

BigRedskinDaddy wrote:This is a little late to be arriving at the party, but I came across this on another board and thought it might help those looking for "The Beginning of Everything."

Cheers.

PS: The tree itself is hard to view, but if you're willing to take some time moving around it there is some VERY good info in there.

The chart was facinating.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Countertrey wrote:
BigRedskinDaddy wrote:This is a little late to be arriving at the party, but I came across this on another board and thought it might help those looking for "The Beginning of Everything."

Cheers.

The chart was facinating.

It all goes back to either Paul Brown or Sid Gillman.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:49 pm

It seems to me that this chart is slightly off:

- George Allen should link back to George Halas

- Several of the coaches shown connected to Allen are offensive coaches. Old George hated the offense; I think his main contribution to Marchibroda was to say "don't do anything fancy".

- Missing Lombardi and Landry

- Missing our old friend "Toot", aka Otto Graham, who ran Paul Brown's passing offense with Jurgensen, Mitchell, Smith, and Taylor. A passing attack that would destroy defenses even today.

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:03 am

welch, I hadn't considered your points.
-But you're absolutely right.
Damn, now I've gotta go back and look through that whole thing again to check it for accuracy. My eyes can't take it lol...
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:14 am

BRD, there was a tree that showed the offensive "lineage". Unfortunately, the link doesn't work. Oh well.

It would be interesting to see a defensive coaching tree. It would, as far back as my memory goes, show a NY Giants branch (Landry, for instance), and a Bears branch (Allen).

Someplace in 101, I linked to an article on "what would have happened" if the NFL champion Bears had played the AFL champion Chiefs.

The article described Halas and Allen's defensive innovations, such as switching formations during the snap-count. It's an interestig read, although it has been pushed far down the 101 stack.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:22 am

"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:51 am

Irn-Bru, thx for the link, that was good stuff. Unfortunately, the original article link no longer works. :cry:
Can anyone answer why the hypothetical SB matchup for me? Was it the Bears D vs. Gillman's O = unstoppable force vs. immovable object type thing?
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:23 pm

BRD, that was it. Also that the Chargers defense was not shabby, either.

Return to Football 101