3 - 4 defense all that much trouble?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
sfir

3 - 4 defense all that much trouble?

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:39 pm

Do we really have that much trouble with the 3-4? Or is this all hyped out of proportion to make the fans be more cautious and less frenetic on game day? I mean, we lost to one team with it, true, but we won versus another team with it. We beat the Texans last year, and their defense, while not great, wasn't beastly - not with Capers coaching it.

I mean, the 3-4 has been around for a long time - not like the 4-6 when Buddy came up with it - now THAT screwed teams up for a bit.
Rich in Roanoke

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:47 pm

I'm not scared...and the Falcon d, particularly their secondary is banged up, young and weak....and gave up way to many big plays against the talentless cowpukes last week
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

OUR 3-4 GETS TO A QUARTERBACK

Postby cyril » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:54 pm

Well this 3-4 had 47 sacks last season the second most in Falcon history and 3 sacks last week. Its just we can blitz
one to three linebackers AND linemen don't know which two or one it is. Its true our corners suck but our safties aren't that bad....We will get burned by a a couple of big plays its a guarantee; just as we'll get to your qb some. Its just
who keeps their composure- our defense after your big plays or your qb after he gets a hit!! I say the 3-4 is real because we don't have many big names (most think Brooking is overated) and teams don't have many high scoring games from us.

Cyril

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:14 pm

Welcome to our board Cyril -

Your safeties aren't that bad unless they are playing hurt or replaced by backups. You and I know there is going to be a dropoff there.

I agree that the blitz is dangerous - but when the Jets tried it, and they are good at it, the running game put an end to it fairly well. You all gave up 149 yards last week vs. the Cowpukes, so I would look to see that coming again.

One article said expect the Skins to run out of 3 and 4 wide receiver sets to force your team to go to the nickel and dime packages to exacerbate the size differential - and Spurrier at Florida lived on the draw with 4 WR and the QB in a shotgun.

Just a thought.
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:39 pm

the falcons don't have the depth at DB to cover all of our receivers in a 4 or 5 wideout set. a linebacker on mccants would equal nice gains, too bad jacobs is hurt :( that extra speed would be nice. but still theres not enuff depth there to double coles, AND try to play man on four other receivers(including gardner). and as far as ramsey, he does ok after the hits, it's the int's that shake him a bit. i just hope he dosen't get hurt, because he IS fearless.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football