Stupid Question

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Pursuer of Justice

Stupid Question

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:39 pm

Once a team "franchises" a player, can they later "un-franchise" him to facilitate a trade?

Just wondering.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Re: Stupid Question

Postby cvillehog » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:45 pm

Justice Hog wrote:Once a team "franchises" a player, can they later "un-franchise" him to facilitate a trade?

Just wondering.

My understanding is that the Franchise tag is just a kind of one-year contract that has its value set by the top ten salaries of that position in the league. The Transition tag is set to, I think, the top 20. At any rate, being Franchised facilitates a trade because the contract is usually pretty basic and has no onerous clauses or poison pills of any kind. I would imagine that most Franchised players that are traded negotiate and agree to a long-term deal with the team they are traded to, just like most traded players. Unless you're TO, then you just throw a hissy fit to get what you want.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Stupid Question

Postby 1niksder » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:25 pm

Justice Hog wrote:Once a team "franchises" a player, can they later "un-franchise" him to facilitate a trade?

Just wondering.

Most times, the transition and franchise tag is used by a team to buy time while a long-team contract is being negotiated. If the player is designated a transition or franchise player and signed immediately to a long term contract, then he retains the tag for the duration of the contract and the team may not use the transition or franchise tag on another player until the contract is done. So what teams invariably do is negotiate a long term contract. When the new contract is agreed, then the player signs his transition or franchise contract, locking up the tag for a year. Then the player signs the long team contract the next day, which voids the one year contract and frees up the transition / franchise tag for use on another player. In the event a player retires, suffers a career-ending injury or is otherwise unavailable due to non-football circumstances, a club has the right to designate another franchise or transition player for the remaining years covered by the club's prior designation.

A club may withdraw a franchise or transition designation at any time. The player becomes an unrestricted free agent when that withdrawal occurs, and the team can use one of the designations on another player at the appropriate time

Football 101 is a pretty good source when you are Just wondering
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:51 pm

The Vikings did it today.

Not only did the remove the tag but they also took the 1 year tender off the table - making CB Brian Williams a UFA
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Football 101