Is Mike Stock the problem with our special teams?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Absolutely.
77%
No he's not.
19%
Who's Mike Stock?
4%

Total votes : 26
Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:46 pm

Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:49 pm

um.... YES!

Why is it other teams can take normal people and get great special teams, and we take great players like Morton and get average special teams?
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:29 pm

I really do beleive he is. I hate to say it, but the ole white haired dude from Dallas would be a good option, if he is avalible. :cry:
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:10 pm

No doubt - He always seems to put good sp. teams together
Rich in Roanoke

swine

Postby learnnew » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:58 pm

now how about Panthers special teams coach Scott O'Brien? ;)
Go Skins! For 10-6 or higher!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:29 am

... how about armchair QB BossHog?

I'm ready.

ROTFALMAO

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:30 am

he sure is...however we don't want anymore cowpuke coaches....or players for that matter!

If our special teams don't show gradual improvement besides Hall's kicking, his ass should be on the street.

With Hall's strong leg, how come his kickoffs are coming up so short? Anyone know?
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Hog

Postby newshog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:50 am

Nope, I don't think he is the problem. I think he's a convenient scapegoat, but I don't think he's the problem. Everything I've ever read about him says he's an excellent ST coach--the problem has been in execution (yes, yes, that all eventually redounds to the coach--but everything does and some time the players have to be held accountable).

Given the fact that the starting special teams unit barely practiced together in the offseason (as we cycled all the wanna-plays through the unit), I'm not at all surprised that it's going to take them some time to gel. If we can be patient with our O-line, why can't we be patient with special teams? What on earth is the difference?

Special teams is one of those situations where incremental improvements aren't immediately obvious, because it appears so binary. Either you cover the kickoff, or you don't. Either your punt returner springs one, or he doesn't. But once things get set--we'll see them click over to the "good" side of the equation.

Mark me down as somebody (the only somebody?) who thinks we'll see improvement in special teams over the next few weeks. When we see it, I get to lord it over everybody. :D
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:24 pm

newshog - i'll gladly eat my crow if the special teams come around, hell i'll even have leftovers :lol:
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:36 pm

at least we've got a decent kicker :)
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:14 pm

I gotta disagree NewsHog.

I actually watched a lot of special teams drills in camp... granted most of them were non-contact. They did kick and punt returns every day, fake fg's at least 3 different days. There was lots of ST activity. Most of my observations on Morton's 'explosiveness' were based on what i saw him do on ST drills.

But we're just getting demolished out there blocking-wise... and it just can't be all execution. And if it is execution, then after such a poor performance for so long, eventually you gotta figure that Stock just can't coach them to that said level of execution. the only thing binary about it is that we're getting beat badly on every ST oportunity.

A couple of bad games is a sign of bad execution. 20 straight is bad coaching. Sun shines out of a dog's *ss some days... and it ain't shone out of ours since he got here. That can't not be cause and effect.

Mark me down as somebody (the only somebody?) who thinks we'll see improvement in special teams over the next few weeks. When we see it, I get to lord it over everybody

You don't get to lord jack over nobody :-) You can't be any worse than we have been, we have to get better. Morton is dynamite, and he's getting nowhere. He's bound to bust one eventually... but probably on his own.

And as for reading Stock's a good coach, the NewsHog knows better than anyone that you can't believe ANYTHING that you read in the watered down world of sports vanilla journalism.

You have to read fan-based stuff for real content... like at theHogs.net :-) ROTFALMAO

HTTR

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:20 pm

Tar and feathers man, tar and feathers ::evil grin::

Seriously - I do believe, just as when our OL keeps getting penetrated so easily, there is as of a problem in the planning as with the execution.

That points to the coach, who in this case is Stock - if I am wrong I will be glad to acknowledge it. I haven't seen indication of it, but if I am - good.
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football