How big a game is the NYG

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Site Admin

How big a game is the NYG

Postby BossHog » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:22 pm

Let's break the upcoming Giants game down a little....

I don't consider the Cowgirls a threat so I don't care what their record or upcoming schedule involves.

Win the NYG game and we go 3-0. The Giants would sit at 1-2 with an 0-2 division record.

The Eagles are 0-2 and while their losses were not divisional, they were both HOME games which is huge. Even if they run the rest of the table at home, they'd have to play .500 on the road too to get to 10-6. That's a huge task especially when you are looking up at the rest of the division and will be for weeks because the bye week puts you down an extra game anyway. Having said that, I'm sure philly is REAL happy to have the bye this week to try and re-group.

We could then look at home wins vs the EAGLES and COWBOYS, to give us 5 wins for the season. That would mean that we'd only need 5 wins out of non-division foes NE, NO, MIA, CAR, TB, SEA, CHI, & BUF to get to 10-6 and a sure playoff berth the way the NFCE is shaping up so far.

I think we have to look at NE, NO & SEA as good bets at home, and I think CHI on the road is too. While Carolina looks good now, we don't play them for a while and I think that the depth that they lack will show through if injuries take toll. I still look at the Panthers as a good road chance.

And that would be enough!

We could also beat Dallas in Dallas, we'll give MIA a good run on the road, and TB will have to beat us at home too.

our schedule is bad... no doubt about it. but it was the beginning of the schedule that was bad. I've always figured that if we could get to 3-3 in the first 6 games that we'd have a good chance at the playoffs.

If we're 3-0 after this week... that's the worst we could be after 6.

Big game thie week.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:46 pm

I hope you're right Boss. You've definetely looked at it closer than I.

It'll be interesting to see if we have any let down this week.

I hope NY doesn't have the ability to patch up that weak o-line. If they cannot our d should have a field day.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:42 pm

Great synopsis. That is a good outlook, and a pretty realistic one.

This game is huge to me for a few reasons.

1) Our first real test against a team with their starting QB.

2) Divisional game

3) Serious test of our O line after a subpar performance

We win this game and we will start getting the repect of being an early NFC contener. People will start gunning for us hard so if we have the ability to beat the Giants we better be ready for some battles.

Boss is right.....3-3 after six is the worst we can be after a win on Sunday. I can live with that, but I predict we will go 4-2 if the progress continues.

swine

my predictions of NFC East

Postby learnnew » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:17 pm

wonderful analysis there boss. inspired me to do something of my own. here're the schedules for the 4 NFC East teams and my predictions for their seasons.

W denotes win, L denotes loss and - denotes could go either way.

Skins (3L, 7W, 4- + 2-0 record) Overall prediction 10-6
NYG W
NE -
@PHI W
TB L
@BUF -
@DAL W
SEA L
@CAR L
@MIA W
NO W
@NYG -
DAL W
@CHI W
PHI -

Pukes (7L, 2W, 5- + 1-1 record) Overall prediction 5-11
@NYJ W
ARI W
PHI -
@DET -
@TB L
WAS L
BUF L
@NE L
CAR L
MIA -
@PHI L
@WAS L
NYG -
@NO -

Giants (6L, 3W, 5- + 1-1 record) Overall prediction: 7-9
@WAS L
MIA W
@NE -
PHI -
@MIN L
@NYJ W
ATL L
@PHI -
@TB L
BUF L
WAS -
@NO W
@DAL -
CAR L

Eagles (5L, 2W, 7- + 0-2 record) Overall prediction: 7-9
@BUF L
WAS L
@DAL -
@NYG -
NYJ W
@ATL L
@GB L
NYG -
NO -
@CAR L
DAL W
@MIA -
SF -
@WAS -

It has to be said that these predictions are based on some of the well-documented past tendencies of certain teams. For instance, near the end of the season, I expect NO to lose it all in a hurry. I expect NYG and PHI to lose to ATL because they play the falcons after Vick is expected back. They both win against Jets because they play them before Pennington is expected back. I think Eagles will get much better as the season goes along. That's why I have so many unpredictables for them. Still the two losses are huge and will haunt them at the end. May be I'm a bit hard on the pukes but then hey, I am a Skin. What do you expect me to say? In fact, I think I have been entirely too generous on them *cough cough*. I think Giants also will come back soon enough. But to expect them to win against Falcons with Vick or Carolina defense or Buffalo the way they're now (all at home) or worse yet at Tampa are way too much and so I don't see them winning a whole lot.

Now about the Skins. If they go 5-2 in the first seven games (losses to TB and BUF/NE), they've an excellent chance getting better than 10-6. But even if they go 4-3, I don't see them losing more than 3 the rest of the way. I know I've been bold to predict an away win over Dolphins but then I've predicted them to lose against the Seahawks at home. I doubt that will happen (knock wood) but I reserve the right for I-told-you-so if it does.

So, Hail to the NFC East Champs!
(Boy oh boy, I hope Skins make it!!!!!)
HTTR
Go Skins! For 10-6 or higher!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:51 pm

woohit wrote
This game is huge to me for a few reasons.

1) Our first real test against a team with their starting QB.

2) Divisional game

3) Serious test of our O line after a subpar performance

We win this game and we will start getting the repect of being an early NFC contener. People will start gunning for us hard so if we have the ability to beat the Giants we better be ready for some battles.

i agree totally. i also think it's big because this will be the first game we've been in that we CANNOT afford the mental errors. penalties and turnovers are not allowed here. this game will come down to our mistakes making or breaking this contest. the team that plays the "cleanest" football will win. we can't keep getting by on luck. pass protection will be HUGE in this game.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:16 pm

I wouldn't count on whipping seattle's d with Ray Rhodes coaching, the Bills are looking rather good, the Pats just mopped the Iggies up, the Fish are not a bad team, and the we have the rematch against the Panthers.

On top of this, 2 games vs. the division rivals which won't be easy, especially considering if we sweep the set the first game they will be after our heads in the second.

We can go 10-6, IF we can stop the penalties of stupidity and IF the OLine gets way more serious about protecting Ramsey. I have faith in the d - but even they will suffer should P-Ram go down under the 6th sack again and get hurt.
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:50 pm

roanoke wrote
We can go 10-6, IF we can stop the penalties of stupidity and IF the OLine gets way more serious about protecting Ramsey. I have faith in the d - but even they will suffer should P-Ram go down under the 6th sack again and get hurt.
i won't comment on the 10-6, but pass protection is another reason i want to see ladell start. :wink:
THN's resident jerk.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:54 pm

LOL - yeah - but I stated in another post I think that 9-7 would be more realistic with our sched - we got hammered this year

If the OLine can get up to par - and P Ram can start picking on secondaries like he can and has shown, we could go 10-6.... It wouldn't be hard to imagine it if the d plays this good all year and the offense gets totally on track and begins to gel well.

I would be happy with 8-8 or 9-7 this year with the sched though - to me it would be an improvement over last year with the much softer sched.
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:00 pm

ladell has HUGE upside. he's a lot younger than "dung" and he just runs(and blocks) with so much more commitment. LADELL FOR STARTER. while trung has "almost" broke away once or twice, ladell performs much more consistantly.
THN's resident jerk.

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:59 pm

hailskins666 wrote:i also think it's big because this will be the first game we've been in that we CANNOT afford the mental errors.

yes.

LADELL FOR STARTER. while trung has "almost" broke away once or twice, ladell performs much more consistantly.

I agree again, Sir. I thought this all day Monday. The blocks Trung missed were high school. I read somewhere this is why he fell out of favor with Martz.....but whatever TRUNG JUST BLOCK, OK?!!

swine

Postby skinsNut » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:19 am

... what an enjoyable thread. Thanks for all the great info guys!
Hail to the Redskins

piglet

Postby Welby24 » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:17 am

Here's a couple notes on the injuries :
INS & OUTS: Defensive tackle Keith Hamilton (hamstring) missed practice and remains day-to-day. If he can't play tomorrow, Jim Fassel said, Lance Legree will start and rookie William Joseph also will play. ... Luke Petitgout (back) said he feels well enough to play the entire game. ... Michael Strahan hobbled off the practice field for a moment after someone stepped on his right foot — the same one on which a broken toe caused him to miss all four preseason games — but he returned. ... Redskins QB Patrick Ramsey (left shoulder) practiced yesterday and will play. ... Redskins listed CB Fred Smoot as questionable for tomorrow. Smoot suffered a concussion Thursday in a collision with teammate Matt Bowen.

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006