18 games????????

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
aka Evil Hog

18 games????????

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:25 pm

obviously the league dosen't want to cutback the total number of contest, preseason generated $350 million. so the idea is 2 preseason, 18 regular season games + post season action. i don't know how i feel personally. but we'd be coming up on week 3 right now if that was in effect. it would make the best part of football season last longer + you would face a more diverse group of opponents, we'd probably see 5 or 6 afc teams in the course of a year, intead of 4. but i also agree with the sayin, "if it isn't broke, you can't fix it, so why change something that has been working for 25 years? injury concerns in the preseason have brought this all up, but, its football, its not golf, with it comes injuries. :?
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Re: 18 games????????

Postby woohit56 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:37 pm

hailskins666 wrote:why change something that has been working for 25 years? injury concerns in the preseason have brought this all up, but, its football, its not golf, with it comes injuries. :?

Well said, I agree. Two more counting games is a bad idea IMO. In real games starting players go much harder than preseason and 16 games + postseason is already a huge load on most players. If teams don't want the injuries to certain players don't play em. It's really black and white to me. Its not Golf...just like hailskins said.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:37 pm

One thing I heard that I had never heard before was that the players only get paid 1000.00 per week of preseason/training camp. The owners get to pocket so much more of the profits. I think we are going to see 4 preseason and 16 regular season games for a while yet.

I don't remember who or where I heard that from.... not sure if someone on here was talking about it or if it was just a news story from one of Newshog's great links.
Rich in Roanoke

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:17 pm

I think the 18 game idea is lame and will never happen.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:52 pm

Can you imagine the contracts that would have to be signed for 2 more fully paid games? The holdouts that would occur due to the players not wanting to play to more possible career ending games without more compensation? Sheesh - whatta train wreck - but if Gene "Stirthefecalmatter" Washington gets a hold of this idea as a way to pay the players even more - it will happen.
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:54 pm

i read somewhere if they extend the season, they will also extend the cap. but its supposed to equal out.
THN's resident jerk.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:23 pm

Yeah - but the agents and players and managers will have to get down to it and play negotiators again. What a traffic jam - and everyone is going to want to dip their hand in the cap space jar - trust me - it won't equal out. Imagine Champ and his deal getting that much sweeter. Whew
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:46 pm

i also recall that the article said, that 18 games was one of the only ways that a "significant" increase would be made to the cap. one of the other ways was by a player strike :x lets not go there. i think the system remains intact for another 25 years.
THN's resident jerk.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:38 am

I agree HailSkins666
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to Around the League